Reading vs Sheffield Wednesday. Official Matchday Thread.

Guest Copthorneowl
1 minute ago, handworth52 said:

Will Carlos be asked why abdi wasn't included in 18 he can't have any excuse our bench had 2 full backs a centre half keeper and semedo and a young kid Hirst who Carlos himself says he ain't ready this season other wk. Did he have that mystery sickness bug what he had 2months ago.

There definitely needs to be some public information on the Abdi scenario CC owes everybody that much at least.

1 minute ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

He just misses too many chances and with Dave up front we were always going to struggle massively upfront.

Just shows how much of a step up Fletcher is...  Really needs to start next game.

So little creativity today - please CC, give Abdi a chance ...he can't be any worse than what we offered in midfield today, can he? 

Totally agree, but a few weeks ago some on here were heralding Lucas as our saviour. 

It will be Matias tonight.

For me it isnt just today, we havent looked a patch on how we played last season. Even games weve won we have almost thrown it away and made it a battle for the 3 points, QPR and Preston spring to mind. There hasnt been one game when iv thought "Wow what a performance today". The only time iv been impressed was the second half against Bristol City and lets be honest we had a lot of luck in that game. Iv seen plenty of posts saying someone is going to get a hiding off us soon, seriously? We are almost half way through the season and i dont actually see where this big, thrashing win is going to come from. 

Guest Copthorneowl
14 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Image result for stop shouting

Fair point however you can hopefully see how boring it is to see umpteen severe performance criticisms of our play. My son was there and after final whistle expressed how unfair the result was said for longperiods secon d half we were good. Same old story armchair fans with too much to say about something they ain't seen. I wasn't  there so waiting for proper assessment not bitter garbage.

Everybody has an opinion some don't have much credibility.

1 hour ago, mr moody said:

Good effort yes. Totally, but if wed have taken our chances mate that would have been a different story. Wed have been 3rd now. Bit gutting really. Dust ourselves off and get ready for the dingles. For me, that's gunna be a much harder game than today. 

Agree on all counts!

57 minutes ago, Coyt said:

For me it isnt just today, we havent looked a patch on how we played last season. Even games weve won we have almost thrown it away and made it a battle for the 3 points, QPR and Preston spring to mind. There hasnt been one game when iv thought "Wow what a performance today". The only time iv been impressed was the second half against Bristol City and lets be honest we had a lot of luck in that game. Iv seen plenty of posts saying someone is going to get a hiding off us soon, seriously? We are almost half way through the season and i dont actually see where this big, thrashing win is going to come from. 

Quite right. Had same chat with mates last night at the '66 dinner. At best we are same as last season, no improvement - and when you look at the table it shows the same, hovering round 6th, just in / out of playoffs. 

Now, some might say we'll look where we were a few years back, look at the improvement. Well yes, that's a point. But the money CC has put in there simply HAD to be improvement on the Gray years. 

Obviously theres plenty to play for, not even half way yet. But i think it's fair to say we are as far off the top 2 as we were last season, and with the recruitment last summer that is a disappointment. 

Edited by Essix Blue

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Still can't wait.

I think we will be too good for both.

I cant wait for every bloody game. A week is too long. Three days is too long. Haven't been as maddeningly hungry for watching my beloved Owls in 30 years of going to games. It's frustrating as hell that we're stuck on 70% performances this season but goddamn I want to watch them and rage about them and cheer about them and despair about them every chuffing night of the week.

This has not really been the case for at least 15 years. We're right on the brink and it's like having a clamp on your junk keeping you there for 10 hours. Ridiculous fun. How far we've come.

How far we'all all come when they take the clamp off. :manager:

On the train home - we were the better team and really should have won. We battered them at the start of the second half but Joao's miss proved to be costly. He seems to lack confidence although like many I'm beginning to doubt he's going to make the grade at this level. 

Both sides wanted to keep the ball but we used it far better. Still lack a killer instinct in the final third. No idea why Carlos went with both Big Dave and Joao with Fletcher on the bench - rotating with the busy Xmas period in mind maybe. 

Reading were very lucky with the first goal (which was NEVER a free kick in the build up). The ref was appalling today... but that's quite common in this league. 

We outplayed 3rd place away from home without key players, so that's a positive. But we need to turn performances into points. We should have taken 6pts from this and the Fulham game on our performances alone - instead we took one. 

And why wasn't Abdi even on the bench??? 

35 minutes ago, Onge said:

On the train home - we were the better team and really should have won. We battered them at the start of the second half but Joao's miss proved to be costly. He seems to lack confidence although like many I'm beginning to doubt he's going to make the grade at this level.

Confidence seems to be huge for him – thought I spotted this a number of times last season and same in his few brief outings so far this year. Couple of goals under his belt and he really comes alive (Arsenal cup tie last year was probably when he looked strongest, coming off the back of a decent run), but his head goes down after just one or two skewed efforts. Hasn't happened for him this year and he looks fragile and a bit green going into 50-50s.

He shouldn't, he's a big quick young lad and he'd do brilliant if he had a bit more of the Fletcher 'stick a bonce in hard in and hope for the best' mentality.

I don't think he's as knock-prone as Fletch, either – he's younger, more agile and more likely to bounce back up if he really commits to the physical side of this league. You get hurt more going in at 25%, and he keeps doing that. Needs to feel as big and quick as he actually is, and he'll cause Championship defences nightmares all day. Confidence key to that IMO. Hope CC has some decent drills for working on that with him.

Edited by Mr. Tom