Refereeing

I think all clubs now have Forums that on match days give the players ratings. It wouldn't be too difficult to solicit referee ratings from right across the leagues and collate it all into a useful format.

If only to prove that the elite referees are a self elected body determined to hold on to their inflated status and wages. The weekend games Included round 2 of the FA Cup; My feeling was that they outperformed the, so called, elite refs by a considerable margin.

Mr Sodding elite TV STAR Clattenburgh, what a knob end !  

I think it's total b*ll*cks that a manager can't express his opinions on officials after a game due to the possibility of facing a touchline ban or fine. If the managers were allowed to do this then perhaps the standard of officiating may improve?

7 hours ago, Ian said:

There is a massive difference between a keeper making a genuine attempt to play the ball but being a bit late and players raising their hands to each other in anger. Also the keeper didn't really seriously injure our player, it was the fall that did that.....It was never a straight red for their keeper.

Rojo on the other hand should have been a red

Rojo should have had 2 red cards  one for the tackle and one for that shïţ hair cut

For me the worst piece of refereeing this weekend was the Spurs pen against Swansea.

It wasn't a pen , it was a blatant dive by Dele Ali , however you could see on the replay the ref had no clear view of the incident but caved in under pressure from the home crowd and gave a pen. He just guessed.

Dele Ali should be suspended for blatantly cheating and ref for his poor performance. 

Of course neither will happen so players will continue trying to cheat while refs get them wrong 

1 hour ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I think all clubs now have Forums that on match days give the players ratings. It wouldn't be too difficult to solicit referee ratings from right across the leagues and collate it all into a useful format.

If only to prove that the elite referees are a self elected body determined to hold on to their inflated status and wages. The weekend games Included round 2 of the FA Cup; My feeling was that they outperformed the, so called, elite refs by a considerable margin.

Mr Sodding elite TV STAR Clattenburgh, what a knob end !  

It's proved time and time again on here that most supporters don't know and / or understand the rules so asking them to rate refs would be an interesting exercise

8 hours ago, Ian said:

There is a massive difference between a keeper making a genuine attempt to play the ball but being a bit late and players raising their hands to each other in anger. Also the keeper didn't really seriously injure our player, it was the fall that did that.....It was never a straight red for their keeper.

Rojo on the other hand should have been a red

Law 12 of the Laws of the Game lists the categories of misconduct for which a player may be sent off. These are:

1. Serious foul play
  2. Violent conduct
  3. Spitting at an opponent or any other person
  4. Denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
  5. Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

The keeper made no attempt to go for the ball, was not in control once he started to make the challenge and used excessive force in the challenge itself. He breached 3 of the first 5 categories. It was one of the easiest straight red cards I have ever seen.

2 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

Law 12 of the Laws of the Game lists the categories of misconduct for which a player may be sent off. These are:

1. Serious foul play
  2. Violent conduct
  3. Spitting at an opponent or any other person
  4. Denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
  5. Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

The keeper made no attempt to go for the ball, was not in control once he started to make the challenge and used excessive force in the challenge itself. He breached 3 of the first 5 categories. It was one of the easiest straight red cards I have ever seen.

Absolute tripe.....of course he made an attempt to go for the ball and it was hardly a Battiston style challenge.......and Buckley was running away from goal when fouled which would normally mean it's not a DOGSO offence. 

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Here we go again with this one.......there is no such instruction at all, the only time they don't have to send someone off is if they are making a genuine attempt to play the ball....which their keeper obviously was......you don't have to give a card for every free kick

Is it just me or are a proportion of our fans the biggest apologists in the league for authority, the opposition, and anything else that goes against us 

Slag FF off for slightly reacting to intense provocation but make allowances for their thug of a keeper who flattens one of our players.

"Genuine attempt to play the ball"????  You're having a laugh! 

I suppose Dawson was making a genuine attempt to play the ball when he nearly broke FF in two last year. 

I still haven't seen a clear video of Forestieri's red. What I would say is that it looks like we should have had a free kick just before it because Pringle was kicking, elbowing & grabbing at Fernando.

From what I've read Pringle has then got close to his face. At that point Fernando pushed him away with by putting his hands in the neck/head of Pringle. 

But you then see Chalobah push Aguero over in front of the ref & get nothing. Chalobah had no reason to do that as the referee gave a freekick & sent off Aguero, also Chalobah wasn't even the one being fouled.

1 minute ago, Ian said:

Absolute tripe.....of course he made an attempt to go for the ball and it was hardly a Battiston style challenge.......and Buckley was running away from goal when fouled which would normally mean it's not a DOGSO offence. 

You are entitled to your opinion. I believe he made no attempt to play the ball and was reckless in the challenge, hence the penalty. I may concede on point 5 (DOGSO) but you cannot deny points 1 & 2. It was a straight red card.

9 hours ago, Thurgoland Owl said:

I 'ii keep it very brief regarding this. Can someone explain to me how someone can race out of his goals and seriously injure one of our players and not receive a yellow card given it was a foul and we got a penalty and yet raising a hand is a straight red?

Did anyone see the incident at yesterdays Man U V Everton game where the Man U defender lunged off the ground with a full two footed challenge and only received a yellow!!!

We should be disciplining these refs!

^^^^^^ This!

Why not introduce a disciplinary system for refs ( if there is I haven't heard of it)

At present:

If a player makes a mistake (badly timed tackle etc) he receives a yellow card.  When these tot up over a number of games he receives a ban.

If a player makes a serious error of judgement, he receives a straight red and a minimum of a three game ban.

So why not the same with refs?

x number of mistakes  - statutory one game ban

serious error of judgement - three game ban

Then just like the do with players we can begin to see clearly who are the good, fair, poor, shocking refs.  All it needs is for video officials to examine every card awarded in each game.

It is about time that refs were accountable for their performances and responded to appropriately in exactly the same way as the players.

League status ( which league you can officiate in ) would then be determined by the total number of match bans awarded to each ref every season.

1 hour ago, Ian said:

I was sat in the North Stand, very close, with a perfect view. The goalie was attempting to play the ball, but was nowhere near. He punched Buckley in the head with a lot of force. Buckley was dazed, and in falling further damaged his shoulder. After his shirt was stripped off, an obvious shoulder bone injury could be seen. It was definitely violent conduct, which should have been a sending off, although not a goal scoring opportunity. The referee gave the penalty, so presumably saw the punch. Why was there no red card for a punch causing a bad injury, when earlier on, apparently a push causing no injury was a red card.

24 minutes ago, maps said:

I was sat in the North Stand, very close, with a perfect view. The goalie was attempting to play the ball, but was nowhere near. He punched Buckley in the head with a lot of force. Buckley was dazed, and in falling further damaged his shoulder. After his shirt was stripped off, an obvious shoulder bone injury could be seen. It was definitely violent conduct, which should have been a sending off, although not a goal scoring opportunity. The referee gave the penalty, so presumably saw the punch. Why was there no red card for a punch causing a bad injury, when earlier on, apparently a push causing no injury was a red card.

Your diagnosis of Buckley's injuries and how they occurred is laughable.....can I ask how you know Buckley was dazed and how you could see an obvious shoulder bone injury....do you have X-ray vision....also how was the keeper attempting to play the ball if he was no where near?

12 minutes ago, Ian said:

Your diagnosis of Buckley's injuries and how they occurred is laughable.....can I ask how you know Buckley was dazed and how you could see an obvious shoulder bone injury....do you have X-ray vision....also how was the keeper attempting to play the ball if he was no where near?

It was right in front of me.

The goalie presumably went for the ball but missed and punched Buckley clearly in the head .

Buckley was knocked over by the blow. He fell heavily on his shoulder.

He was clearly dazed as he was very wobbly when he eventually got to his feet. It was clear from the big lump of bone sticking from  his shoulder that he had a serious shoulder injury

For the ref all he had to decide was

was the keeper reckless and not trying for the ball . Red

was it a valid heavy but mistimed challenge Yellow 

it wasn't a goal scoring opp.

It should have been a yellow, to give no card was wrong 

Personally I thought he should have been booked after for standing over an injured player hurling abuse but the ref just stood and watched him

The fact that referees and officials are unaccountable and 'untouchable' is ridiculous ! Surely they should be able to be brought to account and explain themselves ? How many times have we been at a game and seen a decision by a referee that everyone in the ground has seen differently and nothing can be done about it ? There is too much at stake and why technology cannot be used as exists in other sports I don't understand. Well, I do I suppose - I could blame the 'dinosaurs' at the FA and FIFA who abhor change !

I'm also waiting for the floodgates to open regarding corrupt referees. Maybe all will be revealed in a book written by a retired 'top class' referee regarding either placing bets on games or getting handouts from Clubs ?

1 hour ago, Ian said:

The bone injury was clear to see by anyone near Buckley when he was being treated by the physio. X-ray vision not needed.

If you cant understand the comment about attempting to play the ball, then watch the video.

Refs and officials should be retrained to understand the rules themselves, and also  have cameras to replay incidents to help most of their short sightings ..

Maybe get a yellow and 5 mins on the sidelines to calm the situation instead of a straight red maybe a better option..