Refereeing

I 'ii keep it very brief regarding this. Can someone explain to me how someone can race out of his goals and seriously injure one of our players and not receive a yellow card given it was a foul and we got a penalty and yet raising a hand is a straight red?

Did anyone see the incident at yesterdays Man U V Everton game where the Man U defender lunged off the ground with a full two footed challenge and only received a yellow!!!

We should be disciplining these refs!

21 minutes ago, Thurgoland Owl said:

I 'ii keep it very brief regarding this. Can someone explain to me how someone can race out of his goals and seriously injure one of our players and not receive a yellow card given it was a foul and we got a penalty and yet raising a hand is a straight red?

There is a massive difference between a keeper making a genuine attempt to play the ball but being a bit late and players raising their hands to each other in anger. Also the keeper didn't really seriously injure our player, it was the fall that did that.....It was never a straight red for their keeper.

Rojo on the other hand should have been a red

Edited by Ian

26 minutes ago, Ian said:

There is a massive difference between a keeper making a genuine attempt to play the ball but being a bit late and players raising their hands to each other in anger. Also the keeper didn't really seriously injure our player, it was the fall that did that.....It was never a straight red for their keeper.

He may have tried to play the ball, but it was still reckless. He should have seen yellow at the very least. He didn't even get a talking to.

We lost a player for about 10 mins, and he wasnt in a state to contribute after that. I don't think that's very fair. 

Edited by bigdan2003

I think that he was trying to play the ball can only be offered as a possible mitigation for deciding between a red and a yellow - not a reason as to why he should receive no caution whatsoever.

Generally, I think the new instructions to the refs that they don't have to send a player off for denying a goalscoring opportunity are a sensible development, but irrespective of the intentions of the keeper in this case, it was a badly mistimed challenge - and a badly mistimed challenge invariably gets at least a yellow, so I can only think ref has - quite inexplicably - over-interpreted the new instructions not as the lifting of the necessity to send a player off in such circumstances, but as the instruction to not caution a player at all if their team has just conceded a penalty.

Can't say it was a clear goal scoring opportunity as Buckley was running away from goal to the left side. However, I had a clear view on Saturday and have checked my impression on the screen.

The Keeper may well have attempted to play the ball but he made he made well and truly sure he made violent contact with the player such that he couldn't recover possession.

The award of attempted penalty was the right decision.

How the keepers action could not be considered dangerous play or violent contact at least worthy of a card of either colour is baffling.

Unfortunately the ref doesn't have to explain....at least to the public, let's just hope he's busted down to her league two or beyond.

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Ian

using your logic if you shoot someone in mthe foot who falls off a 10 storey building its not murder, Our player injured his shoulder as a result of being knocked over by a reckless and dangerous tackle by there goal keeper , Yellow card- definitely, Red - possibly. Having said possibly I refer you to Sam hutchinson straight red v Bristol City!!

There's a clip compilation on YouTube entitled "Fernando Forestieri vs The Football League"

I watch that and seriously wonder what the hell is going on here?

Some of the decisions go beyond incompetence and look downright crooked

The Appeal System doesn't help either, as it apparently requires the ref to admit he made a mistake

Every appeal we lodge fails so that makes Nando the guilty party

That, apparently, then gives our opponents free licence to target the player, ***** at the ref every time he goes down and jump on any suggestion of retaliation

Preston aren't the only side to adopt this 'tactic' but so far they've been the most successful

The away game after Christmas is going to be interesting

Incidentally, we picked up four or five injuries during the game but how many times did one of their players go down as if shot?

(*****)female dog

Edited by Ethel The Tree

The game is too fast for the officials

Even when they get things wrong, and they know they've got things wrong, like Forestieri's sending off at Hull, they won't undermine their own officials

The system is so messed up, they would rather back a mistake to the hilt, rather than admit they were wrong

Putting extra officials behind the goal didn't work

There needs to be a system like they have in cricket, i.e. referrals

I'd sooner have games delayed than continue with this broken system

We go away from every game talking about referee's, every game, for me this is bringing the game into disrepute, and it's been happening for far too long

The treatment Joao received on saturday was nothing short of assault

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

6 hours ago, edwardjameswells said:

Generally, I think the new instructions to the refs that they don't have to send a player off for denying a goalscoring opportunity are a sensible development,

Here we go again with this one.......there is no such instruction at all, the only time they don't have to send someone off is if they are making a genuine attempt to play the ball....which their keeper obviously was......you don't have to give a card for every free kick

5 hours ago, Thurgoland Owl said:

Ian

using your logic if you shoot someone in mthe foot who falls off a 10 storey building its not murder, Our player injured his shoulder as a result of being knocked over by a reckless and dangerous tackle by there goal keeper , Yellow card- definitely, Red - possibly. Having said possibly I refer you to Sam hutchinson straight red v Bristol City!!

Interesting comparison and I'm not sure it would be murder in your example. Not sure why folk get in a tiz about whether their keeper should have got a yellow or not.....makes no difference to us in any way shape or form....save your energy for things that make a difference