reading away

Guest Copthorneowl
48 minutes ago, dan1980 said:

I thinking about taking my 6 year old son just wondering what its like at reading

Ideal place to take a young boy. It's in the middle of out of town shopping area (smallish) McDonald's and Kenticky et all close by.  Friendly atmosphere for what you need one threats etc. He'll like it .

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Good time to play them after they got hammered yesterday. 

Perhaps we can actually bloody win at that stadium for once. 

weren't that long since we beat them was it? Think afobe scored for us in a 0-2 win i think, maybe it was a long time ago,i'm losing me marbles

Guest ReadingFan1871

We're an intimidating bunch down here :laugh:

But seriously, as others have said a friendly place to go.  Rarely have I seen any trouble other than minor isolated incidents which would probably happen at any sporting event.  

Are you driving?  If so, parking around at the ground and in places that are VERY nearby is £8.  However most regulars park in a nearby housing estate - about 20 minute walk - and that is free.  

Public transport:

- plenty of buses to ground which take about 15 minutes and cost £4

- The Nags Head pub in Reading (about 15 minute walk from train station) is fantastic, great atomsphere, shows sports and welcoming to any fan.  They do a private bus to ground and back for £4 - advantage is no queuing, straight out of pub or the ground and onto a bus.

- There's another pub in an area of Reading called Caversham where you can get a private bus too - never done that myself but heard it's quite good

- Cab too obviously but more expensive 

- Some walk but it's about a 30-40 minute walk - easy enough on a nice warm summers day but probably not on a cold December afternoon

Home fans and away fans have in the past felt a bit let down due to there being limited places to drink near the ground - with it being a more modern bowl it's out of town. However, the club have made some effort recently and made the best of a poor situation. Outside the East Stand (to the right of the away stand) is a series of local Bitter stands and lager, as well as food, plus tons of benches.  

This is away fan friendly - as is everywhere really - so if you fancy a beer go there if you're at the ground. 

Good luck, but hope you lose ;-)

:baby:

12 hours ago, ReadingFan1871 said:

But seriously, as others have said a friendly place to go.  Rarely have I seen any trouble other than minor isolated incidents which would probably happen at any sporting event.  

Are you driving?  If so, parking around at the ground and in places that are VERY nearby is £8.  However most regulars park in a nearby housing estate - about 20 minute walk - and that is free.  

Public transport:

- The Nags Head pub in Reading (about 15 minute walk from train station) is fantastic, great atomsphere, shows sports and welcoming to any fan.  They do a private bus to ground and back for £4 - advantage is no queuing, straight out of pub or the ground and onto a bus.

- There's another pub in an area of Reading called Caversham where you can get a private bus too - never done that myself but heard it's quite good

- Some walk but it's about a 30-40 minute walk - easy enough on a nice warm summers day but probably not on a cold December afternoon

Home fans and away fans have in the past felt a bit let down due to there being limited places to drink near the ground - with it being a more modern bowl it's out of town. However, the club have made some effort recently and made the best of a poor situation. Outside the East Stand (to the right of the away stand) is a series of local Bitter stands and lager, as well as food, plus tons of benches.  

This is away fan friendly - as is everywhere really - so if you fancy a beer go there if you're at the ground. 

These drinking areas outside the ground, what time do they open?

Guest ReadingFan1871

According to this: http://www.readingfc.co.uk/fans/fan-zone/

It opens about 2 hours before kick off. 

21 minutes walk from the ground (according to google maps) is the World Turned Upside Down pub which is, I think, away fan friendly.

http://www.crowncarveries.co.uk/nationalsearch/southeast/theworldturnedupsidedownreading

Depending on how you're arriving there may be more options.  I know some who drive, go for a drink in Three Mile Cross (an area just south of Reading), or Shinfield.  Both are easily walkable to the ground.

Guest caliban

Just booked tickets in the family section, £26 for 1 adult & 2 children which includes a free parking permit as it's our first matchday visit (we've been before for youth football tournament and a stadium tour)

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 14:12, ReadingFan1871 said:

Public transport:

thanks for sharing :)