Bannan needs to up his game

16 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Just over 50%,

Much better player as a CM, and we become a much better team.

He runs and runs and runs, and will bring out 1 killer pass per game, which is why people (who can't see the bigger picture) like him. However, we are so weak and undisciplined with him in the middle because he ball watches and follows the ball rather than sticking to his zone. He will only play in the centre when we go all out for the win, because he has that 1 killer ball in him. Out wide, his indiscipline is curtailed by a big white line.

Guest Copthorneowl

Managed to watch the full game on player having read all about BB from him having "a great game to ...he should be dropped".

Thought he had a very average game. So many saying he's out of position Christ what really is there to being marginally wide of centre in midfield to being centre. You're still expected to move in and around the centre  of midfield, still expected to support attack and the defence still expected to play wide, take a player on and get in the box. ITS THE NATURE of the modern midfielder who is required to have endless energy that's why good players get over a million a year. 20k a week like him.

My assessment of BB is that he's playing too much 'fancy/Hollywood football. All this running at goalkeepers and defenders who release the ball before he's within 20 yards of them is in my view a waste of effort and more for crowd effect it's certainly Not closing down. He should be looking to win the ball more and make more forward offensive passes instead hes picking it up in our half turning round a couple of times then playing back to a defender or Westy. Can't remember his last decent tackle.

BB has been really good for us but currently he has very little real influence in the game, back flicks and 20 yard passes with the outside of the foot look good but do nowt.

Sorry but although he has been a brilliant signing he's got to be sharpened up by having a spell on the bench. Let's see if Abdi is the player many think. He is renowned for attacking midfield play and I for one would like to see if he's as good as his reputation.

Don't buy this "out of position" nonsense. Maybe when he's on the right yes, but he's played most of his games for us as a narrow left sided midfielder. He's put in some fantastic performances there.

It's just an excuse people use when he doesn't play well. 

He was poor on Saturday. 

Edited by IstillhateSteveBould

1 hour ago, Copthorneowl said:

Managed to watch the full game on player having read all about BB from him having "a great game to ...he should be dropped".

Thought he had a very average game. So many saying he's out of position Christ what really is there to being marginally wide of centre in midfield to being centre. You're still expected to move in and around the centre  of midfield, still expected to support attack and the defence still expected to play wide, take a player on and get in the box. ITS THE NATURE of the modern midfielder who is required to have endless energy that's why good players get over a million a year. 20k a week like him.

My assessment of BB is that he's playing too much 'fancy/Hollywood football. All this running at goalkeepers and defenders who release the ball before he's within 20 yards of them is in my view a waste of effort and more for crowd effect it's certainly Not closing down. He should be looking to win the ball more and make more forward offensive passes instead hes picking it up in our half turning round a couple of times then playing back to a defender or Westy. Can't remember his last decent tackle.

BB has been really good for us but currently he has very little real influence in the game, back flicks and 20 yard passes with the outside of the foot look good but do nowt.

Sorry but although he has been a brilliant signing he's got to be sharpened up by having a spell on the bench. Let's see if Abdi is the player many think. He is renowned for attacking midfield play and I for one would like to see if he's as good as his reputation.

At his best last season, he was central and would twist, turn, spread our play both left and right to Wallace and FF, and play quality through balls to forwards.

Out left (or worse still out right) he has only one way to go, inside. He is too easy to keep quiet in that role.

Someone (Beholder?) posted elsewhere today that he thinks Lee and Hutch as our CMs lacks creativity. I agree, and think at home we should definitely have Bannan or Abdi in CM.

Bannan got subbed (for Wallace) v Huddersfield and we went on to score and win 1-0. Gets dropped/left out of squad entirely for subsequent draw away v Cardiff, with Abdi taking his place. But, Abdi went off at half time in that game to make way for Forestieri, and we end up scoring and drawing

Abdi's not started another game - unlike Bannan - who gets brought back v QPR (which we win) and has been in Carlos' starting XI ever since

Seems our manager is not impressed yet with any Bannan alternative (especially Abdi) and he's sticking with the other signings who came in last season (including Forestieri and Wallace)

Can't say I blame him

Edited by owlandished

Just now, Hack-Abusi said:

Not personally no .. use KLee as the wide right man drifting in or have 5 in midfield. With how things have been this season though, if Carlos was gonna play Abdi, it would be out wide

So isnt that the point?

You feel Bannan is off colour, yet in the position he is being asked to play you personally would not make a like for like swap.

He has gone on record to say he prefers CM, and it is obvious to many fans that he plays far better there. I think he does an ok job wide, but only ok. Occasionally he is excellent wide, and occasionally poor.

Does anyone keep a tally of MOMs on here? I think BB has had at least three so far. And that despite playing in an unprefered role.

Gets unwarranted stick imo.

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 21:48, EighteenSixty7 said:

No matter how fluid our midfield is meant to be in this formation, putting Bannan out on either wing and not central isn't helping him.

We've been saying this for about 2 years. One day CC will see it.

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 22:05, mattitheowl said:

The guy is being played wildly out of position.  It's incredibly harsh to criticise him for it.

Bit like Abdi who supposedly 'Doesn't take his chance' when his chance consists of 10mins played out of position

16 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

So isnt that the point?

You feel Bannan is off colour, yet in the position he is being asked to play you personally would not make a like for like swap.

He has gone on record to say he prefers CM, and it is obvious to many fans that he plays far better there. I think he does an ok job wide, but only ok. Occasionally he is excellent wide, and occasionally poor.

Does anyone keep a tally of MOMs on here? I think BB has had at least three so far. And that despite playing in an unprefered role.

Gets unwarranted stick imo.

Not sure what you are looking for.

You asked me if i'd play Abdi out wide. I said not really no as i feel Abdi is better off in the middle

Bannan is more effective in the middle but is capable of playing out wide. But regardless of where he's played, he hasn't been as good this season as he has last season so as stated, i'd be more inclined to give him a few games rest. not every player (apart from Hutch and Klee) are first teams on the sheet

Abdi is bunged out wide and minute he has a poor game he's dropped. should be no different for Bannan