What's happening with the Hillsborough crowd?

Just looking at Jeffers Wikipedia and his goal scoring record was horrendous.  I also thought he was much older when he signed for us

Edited by Arnold

43 minutes ago, james o connor said:

People can waffle on about the match being dull etc etc but our atmosphere except for one offs like the play offs or arsenal last year is always dull. An antiquated ground that's half full is the main reason Its poor in 99% of matches.

arsenal ,man city &west ham have modern stadiums that are always full and yet there fans moan that the atmos isn't the same as there old grounds .....I don't think you can pin it on the stadium apart from the fact its all seated with no congregated singing area ..

11 hours ago, Polar said:

It's "dull as ditchwater", not "dull as dishwater" ffs!

Dishwater isn't dull. 

But what do I know, I've got a dishwasher. 

Anyway, we're not dull. 

Thats the second thing I have learned on here recently. Someone corrected my use of "lob-sided" to 'lop-sided".

I might not be enjoying one winger and 3 CMs, but it is belatedly improving my education.

11 hours ago, Polar said:

It's "dull as ditchwater", not "dull as dishwater" ffs!

Dishwater isn't dull. 

But what do I know, I've got a dishwasher. 

Anyway, we're not dull. 

being  a sad git I looked it up .....ditchwater was the original term used from the 17th century but its changed in modern times( 20th century) to dishwater ....

Things were all new last year, fans were up-beat week-in-week out. Fact is we have become acclimatised to good football after many years of shibosh, thus the novelty of our good passing game has somewhat worn off. I watched the Leeds v Villa game the other night and it reminded me of Hillsboro last year, they are buzzing to see a rise in fortunes on the pitch. 

To have a great atmosphere at Hillsborough several things have to be present 

1) a minimum crowd of 30k

2) a decent vocal away following 

3) exciting rather than percentage football

4) an important game

There are exceptions eg the Wycombe game did not have any substantial away support but it did not need it,  we were effectively playing Sheffield United that day not Wycombe. 

Mid season second division football is never going to achieve the above.  If we are still involved in March there will be several good days. 

We need premiership football. 

Whether you like the band or not, have a listen at the next home game and try to be subjective. Listen how many times they play over people.

There were quite a few times on Saturday especially when people started singing 'Barmy Army'. Bear in mind sometimes when people start a song like that, there may only be 4 or 5 of them to begin with and they have to keep being patient and persistent for a few minute's waiting for others to join in. People did join in and it got louder as it spread across the Kop which sounded great as it almost got to a crescendo of noise and then.....bang bang bang! Completely out of time and then silence.

Its like a battle sometimes and when it happens 5 or 6 times during a game you end up wondering what the point is in even trying. You can't compete with a bunch of blokes with drums and trumpets, so they dictate the atmosphere (of lack thereof)

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

being  a sad git I looked it up .....ditchwater was the original term used from the 17th century but its changed in modern times( 20th century) to dishwater ....

I presume because people kept getting it wrong!

Like how the word 'literally' has come to mean 'not literally'.

Anyway, the day 'like a damp squid' becomes acceptable instead of 'like a damp squib' is the day when I officially give up hope. 

For me it's about expectation. Last season the crowd in general felt we were over-achieving, particularly as the season wore on. Hence the jubilation.

Now everyone expects us to be at the same level or higher than last year, so the crowd are sat there, waiting for us to be good rather than revelling in the moment.

Add to that the fact that Sheffielders are mostly pretty negative in their expectations and there goes the atmosphere.

Maybe people need to start putting some planning together for non-cringey crowd activities during the game. 

Sorry for stating the obvious.

Band killed it for me. Need more original songs too. Just made this up in 5 minutes to the Little Man Tate song, man I hate your band. Would fit perfectly with all the moaning we do. 

Don't talk to me about money,
Don't talk to me about pain,
I'm a Sheffield Wednesday fan, it's always been the same.

Don't get me started on the prices, or those pin striped flipping shirts
At least we've got some grass now, instead on playing in the dirt.

New players signed pre season, can't even get at game,  
We're starting Atdhe Nuhui, I'm really glad I came.

At least there's one thing that we all understand, oh there's one thing that you gotta understand.

Man I hate our band 
Man I hate our band 
Man I hate our band
Man I hate our band