What's happening with the Hillsborough crowd?

Guest The Horse

Crowd was fine to start with.
Then the injuries came and the game was all stop - start that prevented the crowd from getting on a roll.

Its always a bit strange. It takes an event to get the crowd going. Usually a bad decision by the officials, a thrilling moment in the game, a large away contingent or like when we go down to 9 men for a spell today. We are not alone, a lot of clubs suffer with poor atmospheres. Ultimately I blame the lack of standing areas where singing fans can congregate.

Thing baffles me most is when a game like today's is on a knife edge and there's people walking out of ground with 5 mins still to play.

I thought today fans made a bit more noise than previous few home games but its still not like it were many years ago, even when we've been rubbish.

11 minutes ago, Soul Power said:

Its always a bit strange. It takes an event to get the crowd going. Usually a bad decision by the officials, a thrilling moment in the game, a large away contingent or like when we go down to 9 men for a spell today. We are not alone, a lot of clubs suffer with poor atmospheres. Ultimately I blame the lack of standing areas where singing fans can congregate.

Been to Dortmundv BMG today and seen the standing/singing areas. Think the English game could learn a lot from them. Could learn a lot from the whole experience.

32 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Why was the crowd so quiet for the first 60 minutes today? It's been particularly quiet for the last three or four home games and, generally, the atmosphere has been on the wane for a few years now.  Why?

Our expectations are high, we need something to shout about, aggressive attacking play at home would do the trick

Reality is compared to last season at home It hasn't been very good, we are constantly on a knife edge, giving silly goals away and not taking our chances. Fans confidence is lower and equally, so is the atmosphere.

2nd season syndrome and expectations are higher too

1 minute ago, wharncliffeowl said:

The tempo we play at currently is so slow that it is hard to get excited. I want to see up and at 'em football not a game of chess. zzzzzzz.

I don't mind the tempo and style we play, can appreciate it etc. But you're completely right fast and attacking football would definitely get the crowd going