Hardest Sheffield Wednesday player ever?

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 21:37, EXCALIBUR said:

sheridan could dish it out and take it.then win game with his class

Indeed.

To look to take the pi55 out of players like Wise and Ince you must be either very brave, or very stupid, and SherIdan certainly wasn't stupid.

Funnily enough, my choice for 'hard man' is a GOALKEEPER. It's got to be Ron Springett. He played at a time when the forwards, particularly the Centre Forwards were allowed to 'Mix it', and Ron could mix it with the best Derek Dugan and his like, and even Jack Charlton for corners etc, and Swanny (certainly no patsy). Anything coming into the 6-yard box would herald a yell of 'MINE', and it didn't matter, friend or foe, Ron would be there, unafraid to trample underfoot his own defenders as well as any marauding opposition.

Of the outfield players the top must be Norman Curtis, who whether tackled/tackling or not always bounced up like a rubber ball, except on one occasion when he had a broken leg

The next must be Tony Kay, who, in the opening five minutes of a game, managed to put Maurice Setters ( a real tough nut) into the hoardings alongside the pitch. 

Unfortunately, as last night's commentators observed, this would not happen today.

On 11/25/2016 at 17:10, Costello 77 said:

Not an individual. Wilkinson's teams took sh*t from nobody... wherever they played.

About one player though, there was a lot of hard centre halfs about in the mid seventies to mid nineties; Lee Chapman wasn't cowed by an of them in my memory.

Looked like a play boy but stood up to the lot of them.

didnt  he  smack a derby  player in the fa cup   got sent off then caught  th late train to london to see his chick at the  time

Well done Wolfmanjack ... forgot about Vic Mobley at Villa Park ... heroic  ... shame,  and I was there at the game too in '66.

Of course Gerry Young ... looked more like a boxer.  Always came out for the

second half with his shirt out .... quite riske in those days.

Good look with the chemo ... often you get worse with this treatment before

you get better.

I would hope your almost ever presence returns to support the lads in the near future.

Viv Anderson was a tough, tough fella.

I remember the 1-1 draw under Francis with Wimbledon.  Viv and John Fashanu hated each other, which went back to a ruck they had in the tunnel when Viv was at Man U. Fashanu was a proper hard man, a dirty sod as well.  Fashanu then phoned Viv's mrs and offered her a load of money to sell a story to the papers that fash was boning her!  Needless to say they didn't get on.

The 1-1 itself wasn't much of a game but Viv and Fash were needling each other the whole game.  Right towards the end Fash went for it, Viv just took it and laid fashanu out.  The only time I have seen a player been stretchered off and be red carded at the same time, was literally shown the red on the stretcher.

Also put his head in where it hurt even at 37, played the cup final bandaged up.