Hardest Sheffield Wednesday player ever?

10 hours ago, nzowl said:

Ken Knighton - Hard as nails. I think he got fined for kicking the door off changing room door hinges at Orient after a loss

he did mate ...he got sent off and went to the dressing room which was locked ,he promptly unlocked it with his boot .

12 hours ago, Wolfmanjack said:

Vic Mobley actually showed how tough he was, in the '66 semi at Villa Park, Gary Shelton showed it in the 70's at Craven Cottage, when he was obviously badly injured, but Tony Toms made him stay on the pitch, which he did, before succumbing to a (I' m positive) broken ankle which kept him out for twelve weeks. Toughest in my time though, have to be Gerry Young, closely followed by Don Megson

mobley is a good call , i swear i once saw him chip a winger into the north stand

It depends how you class 'hardest'.

coughlan and Danny Wilson were both hard in that they would never shirk a tackle and would carry on playing if their leg was hanging off.

But for me, to be hardest, you also need the opposition to have dreaded playing against you because they knew they themselves were going to get hurt.

Pearson was hard but he was never dirty.

Lyons is definitely a contender.

Hirst shouldn't be underestimated.  Mersin said that he was the one player that Adams dreaded playing against because he could run him but would also have a fight.

Chapman was also a tough nut.

On 11/23/2016 at 20:25, nzowl said:

Ken Knighton - Hard as nails. I think he got fined for kicking the door off changing room door hinges at Orient after a loss

Also smashed things in his own house, mates girlfriend use to baby sit for him and when he came home after a few beers was proper angry if we lost which was most weekends in them days.

Not an individual. Wilkinson's teams took sh*t from nobody... wherever they played.

About one player though, there was a lot of hard centre halfs about in the mid seventies to mid nineties; Lee Chapman wasn't cowed by an of them in my memory.

Looked like a play boy but stood up to the lot of them.

Some good candidates on here but surely you have to go back to the times when you could be hard and not get penalised / booked / sent off.  Were it not for this aspect of the game then Hutch would as hard as anyone I have seen in a Wednesday shirt.

But because of that...........it has to be Gerry Young.

After 50+ years of watching Wednesday

1) Don Megson and Tony Kay were both hard as nails and would tackle a brick wall ...both could take a tackle and just get on with it....both could dish it out in a full blooded game.

3) Mick Lyons

4) David Bronco Layne

5) Ken Knighton

6) Gerry Young

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 22:10, salmonbones said:

Hyde was an enigma.    He was caught between (tiny) hardman and an energetic dynamo with a good long shot on him on occasion.

He wasn't shy in the tackle though, i'll give you that.    Danny Wilson taught him well, the man he was understudy to.

It was a joke...!!@@!!....