Hardest Sheffield Wednesday player ever?

In my time Norman Curtis was the hardest player I ever saw in an owls shirt. But in an individual act of bravery the Eric McMordie leg breaking 50/50 challenge on  (Jim Holton ?) in the 4-4 draw was superb, never got so much as a lecture.

As for Norman his penalties were a sight to behold, he would carefully place the ball on the spot then begin his walk and walk and walk past the area until about 10 or 15 yards from the half way line. He would then wipe the cap of his boot on the opposite calf reminiscent of a bull about to charge. Set Ready Go...A slow walk, quicken the pace, Trot into a run; By the time he entered the area he had reached a gallop....Crash, they made Pressman penailties look like tap ins.

Wasting our time really though all the real hard men came out of the late 19th and early 20th century. It's all there in our History books !    

Wishing Wolfie all the best. Hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

Many already mentioned but anyone thought of Lee Chapman? Barely a game went by where he didn't end up having stitches somewhere. Maybe not the hardest, but definitely not afraid to put his head and body where it hurt.

By the sounds of things, i'm not old enough to offer up an opinion on this thread.   Best I can offer is Pearson, Palmer, Bullen - even Sterland I only really ever saw play on TV not at Hillsborough.

Pressman was brave as anything though, I suppose you have to be brave or nuts to be a keeper.

36 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Graham Hyde

Hyde was an enigma.    He was caught between (tiny) hardman and an energetic dynamo with a good long shot on him on occasion.

He wasn't shy in the tackle though, i'll give you that.    Danny Wilson taught him well, the man he was understudy to.

6 hours ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Swanny,  Gerry Young, not only tough but looked the part as well. Alan Warboys. Graham Pugh. Was just going to say ML flatty owl, lol 

We need some of them owld buggers on to remember before '64.

I was going to say Gerry Young...........no diving and falling about in those days. If you got felled and stayed down it was serious. It was a shame that he made the mistake in the 66 cup final

Swanny was classy..........hard maybe but he was a footballer and could have been a World Cup winner if he hadnt liked gambling

6 minutes ago, Hirstys Salopettes said:

Not hardest as in battering folk, but what Mick Prendegast went through to play for Wednesday deserves mention ... His body took an unbelievable beating, but he gave his all every time

Ya barsteward.

Was posting when popped up on my notifications.

Anyway...

I have plussed the posts for Mick lyons and Ken knighton a bit earlier in the thread, but...

You have to give a shout for Mick Prendergast, as stated above.

Gave his all in every game, despite getting kicked from pillar to post, and even being injured in most of them.