Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
@owlstalk

The top 6 Championship places

Recommended Posts

Relentless division.

 

It takes 10 games of back to back wins to overhaul a 10 point gap competing against someone already showing and likely to maintain promotion form.

 

Unless we can be relentless [and we are a long way from it] our success will be down to the accidents of others...

 

You can't afford to lose games on the spin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

Relentless division.

 

It takes 10 games of back to back wins to overhaul a 10 point gap competing against someone already showing and likely to maintain promotion form.

 

Unless we can be relentless [and we are a long way from it] our success will be down to the accidents of others...

 

You can't afford to lose games on the spin.

Absolutely, this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Newcastle

Brighton

 

Derby

Villa

Norwich (after flirting with missing out and ditching AN)

Owls 

 

As I have said elsewhere this morning, I see us playing Bruce again at Wembley.

Gald you mention derby and villa, totally agree these will be in the mix. Personally I don't think we will make the cut this year, unless we spend big on a forward in January.

Reading will stay in there too, for me its whether Norwich keep fading

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ViolaOwls said:

Gald you mention derby and villa, totally agree these will be in the mix. Personally I don't think we will make the cut this year, unless we spend big on a forward in January.

Reading will stay in there too, for me its whether Norwich keep fading

 

I do think Reading under Stam could be this year's danger card.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Scram said, I think we are one of 6-8 clubs who can finish anywhere from 10th to 3rd. In a real strong division, it's really difficult to say who can make the play offs. We have a decent chance of doing it though. If pushed, I'll say 6th again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Keep an eye on Wolves, change of manager followed with a decent point at Preston.

Lambert talking in the local press about shrinking the squad and bringing in some 'quality' - they do seem to be throwing a lot of money at it. 

Sounds like what we should be doing that shrinking the squad. Numbers that is.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Keep an eye on Wolves, change of manager followed with a decent point at Preston.

Lambert talking in the local press about shrinking the squad and bringing in some 'quality' - they do seem to be throwing a lot of money at it. 

 

I have always thought this makes complete sense.

 

Spreading the wage budget over 20 players rather than 25, with a small element of dual-role players (in our case say Hutch, FF, Reach, Wallace) would allow you to increase quality rather than quantity.

 

And in an extremely unlucky year, perhaps a development squad player plays the odd game in desperate measures.

 

Probably explains why I flogged steel rather than ran a football club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its a funny division and I don't know if its stronger or weaker than last season .....we arnt playing as well as last year but are still in touch with the play off spots so makes you think that Newcastle and brighton apart there isn't anyone who's consistently good .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I try to look through my Blue & While tinted spectacles, I can't see us finishing in the top 6 this season.

 

Sadly I think there are 6 better teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, torryowl said:

its a funny division and I don't know if its stronger or weaker than last season .....we arnt playing as well as last year but are still in touch with the play off spots so makes you think that Newcastle and brighton apart there isn't anyone who's consistently good .

 

We were only really challenged by Cardiff for 6th - and that was barely a challenge

 

They are currently 2 points and one place above the drop zone. Last season was an uncharacteristically weak division and our points haul was low for a 6th placed team

 

This some teams have been slow to start but will surely be in the reckoning and are now gaining momentum - Derby and Villa - maybe Wolves now.

 

Reading, Fulham and Leeds are much more likely to present a challenge

 

I onoy really see Birmingham and Hudds not lasting the pace up top - and its impossible to predict what is gonna happen with Norwich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going for:

 

Newcastle

Brighton

 

Reading

Leeds

QPR

Villa

 

Bruce to do it again at Wembley.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Copthorneowl

Last year we had a very strong base at home from the start of the season right through to the end of the season. Nobody really outplayed us at home other than Middlesborough who caught us before we had established our strong team and brought in key players.

 

Our away form stuttered some would say throughout the season, probably due more than anything to constant tinkering with both players and formats and also because Carlos seemed less offensive in his attitude.

 

This year we've looked more fragile at Hillsborough which I believe can be a real worry.  Think to get in and stay in top 6 we need to be more consistent across the board and take the offensive attitude we showed at Fulham (but not at Cardiff) to all our away games.

 

Appreciate what most say about other teams but after the summer recruitment we were left in a better stronger position all over the pitch despite what many fans are now saying , we have the weaponry but we need to use it better and if we can get team spirit back and go on a run we should make top 6 can't see top two though hope I'm wrong.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.Newcastle - certs for promotion

2.villa-good manager and money to spend in January

3.Brighton-decent squad,brilliant manager

4.Norwich-will have a new manager but be too far behind by time they sack the Scottish bloke

5.Derby-too good not to be in playoffs

6.1 of Wednesday,wolves,reading or Leeds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Villa will be no where near the top 2.

 

Derby wont get in the playoffs either, they'll just out. There poor start will cost them dear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Newcastle U - with over 100 points

2. Brighton - on the last day

3. Reading 

4. Norwich - still in contention for 2nd on May 7

5. Villa - good manager will spend, too much work to do to catch top 2/4 however

6. Wednesday - hopefully 

Derby, Huddersfield. Leeds and Wolves the next 4 just missing out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about the play offs is not necessarily the best team will get promoted as its a lottery.

 

I would settle for us being in the lottery this year again, even though its not good for the heart.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

The thing about the play offs is not necessarily the best team will get promoted as its a lottery.

 

I would settle for us being in the lottery this year again, even though its not good for the heart.

 

Behopes we don't have a good FA cup run and end up in the final , and the championship play off final. FA cup final on Sat. 27th May , Championship play off final on Bank holiday Monday 29th of May. That ain't gonna be good for the heart or wallet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be good seeing the reserves playing in the FA cup final :tango:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...