The maths

According to BBC Sport, the average points needed for automatic promotion from the Championship over the last 10 years has been 86. After 17 games, that means Wednesday have to average 2.103 points per game to meet that total and of course that may not guarantee an automatic spot. The average minimum playoff points total needed has been 73, which works out at 1.65 points per game for the rest of the season. At present we have averaged 1.47 points per game. Given that we are averaging little over 1 goal per game, it's a huge challenge ahead.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

1.65 points per game, so that's 10 points from every six matches.

Three wins, a draw and two losses. We are more than capable of that.

3 wins plus a draw from every 6 games?

We don't score enough goals and we don't keep enough clean sheets.

We can definitely make the play-offs; in fact, even given our indifferent form, I still expect us to.

Automatic was never likely even before the season started and certainly much less so now.

Newcastle are as good as up, and I don't think Brighton will fall short this season, so it's really only about the four play-off places.

29 minutes ago, Beholder said:

3 wins plus a draw from every 6 games?

We don't score enough goals and we don't keep enough clean sheets.

Its really goals scored. Our goals against is similar to last season. Just not scoring enough, but at some point I hope and think he will find the right formula, but it does need to be fairly soon or it will be a new manager trying to find it.

We are too inconsistent to reach the playoffs..

Anything from 7th -12th is realistic based on what has been served up so far this season.

We need to tighten up and score more than 1 goal a game if we are to get into the top 4 - there has been very little evidence of this happening so far. 

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

48 minutes ago, Fantham Man said:

According to BBC Sport, the average points needed for automatic promotion from the Championship over the last 10 years has been 86. After 17 games, that means Wednesday have to average 2.103 points per game to meet that total and of course that may not guarantee an automatic spot. The average minimum playoff points total needed has been 73, which works out at 1.65 points per game for the rest of the season. At present we have averaged 1.47 points per game. Given that we are averaging little over 1 goal per game, it's a huge challenge ahead.

One of the automatic places has already gone, which makes it even less likely we can grab auto. 

I wonder if our inability to score goals is partly a confidence thing. I mean Hooper's effort when clean through yesterday was just embarassing and this from someone usually so confident in front of goal. Or Banann hitting it first time when he needed to take a touch. This is a recurring theme this season and it seems to me like its on the players minds and they are snatching at chances.

It's not as though we aren't creating chances or that we don't have the players to finish them off. But for whatever reason we seem to have lost that assurance in front of goal that we seemed to have last year.

2 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

We should always gamble for a win, even away. Draws give you morale , but that's all.

Agree with this. One win and one loss is better than two draws. To be fair, we haven't been drawing that many matches so far this season and I don't think for a minute that Carlos would tell the team to go out and play for a draw - which some teams clearly do at Hillsborough. We need to play with the same intensity when 1-0 up as we do when we are drawing or losing late on in games - not play for the 1-0 win. That has cost us several times this season - Birmingham and Fulham spring to mind. We got away with it at Blackburn and Huddersfield.

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

We could score more if we play 2 wingers and 2 up front

We might not get into games either

Did you see Villa schooling Brighton on Friday and starved them of the ball by dominating centrally? 

Villa will be up there

4 minutes ago, scram said:

We might not get into games either

Did you see Villa schooling Brighton on Friday and starved them of the ball by dominating centrally? 

Villa will be up there

I just feel we've got to try something different.

In some games we might need 3 cms but we should change the system to do that. 

I agree that Villa will be up there because Bruce is a good manager at this level.