R.I.P STEVE BALL

Steve Ball : A tribute.

I first came across Steve on the old Sheffield Wednesday facebook page and its fair to say that we clashed on numerous occasions and sometimes it got a little naughty. Steve was always forthright in his views, as i was and so we often clashed. We sometimes agreed with each other, but never said so. We just put a " like " and never commented. There was an obvious mutual respect between us, which i'm pleased to say eventual grew into a warm admiration after many years doing battle with each other on various pages.
Steve was a passionate Wednesdayite. I don't think you could have found a more passionate fan than him. He was a keen observer of what went off on the pitch and although you didn't always agree with him, he always made you think about issues relating to Wednesday. Steve became well known on the social media scene and was on various sites. It became common place to look forward to the battles that would take place on the social media sites and Steve would always be at the heart of it, never afraid to say what he thought.
These type of football sites are only as good as the people that go on them and you needed people like Steve to keep them going. On these kind of sites you get leaders and followers, someone who always sets the agenda's and put's in the work to comment and put up posts. Steve was a leader, he was the very epitome of what is the life blood of these kind of sites and without them, they just simply don't work. They aren't meant to be taken seriously, but they become an important part of people's everyday lives.
I first found out that Steve was ill around eight months ago and sent him a message, trying to offer my support and understanding. He didn't say much about the illness and was stalwart in that respect and kept going with his posts and match day stats to the end. I have to say that today i feel very sad, as many people will feel, but equally thankful for having had those years of debates with Steve. My thoughts go out to his family and to say his presence will be missed is a huge under statement . Very very sad news.

R,I,P Steve
Edited by Mick De Lyons

32 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Well said. He will be missed

I put up this little tribute as i hadn't realised you had done one a few hours before Oxon. But i'm pleased i did do it, because i realised that Steve had contributed so much to my own enjoyment of these sites, but i hadn't ever truly recognised that. I wish he was still with us and posting and feel so sorry for his loss with regards to his family and friends.

58 minutes ago, Mick De Lyons said:

I put up this little tribute as i hadn't realised you had done one a few hours before Oxon. But i'm pleased i did do it, because i realised that Steve had contributed so much to my own enjoyment of these sites, but i hadn't ever truly recognised that. I wish he was still with us and posting and feel so sorry for his loss with regards to his family and friends.

Not a problem having more than one thread. It might have helped if I had put his name in the title. 

A sad loss. 

Guest OutandOutOwl

Thanks Mick

My Dad was a proud father, husband and friend to many people. 

He never moaned once about this awful illness he had to put up with.

I think his passing has been made easier by the fact that we know his suffering is over. The last two months wasn't a life, it was hell for him and all of us. His last moments were quick and he was with me and the rest of my family.

We did everything together and that will make these times hard.

I worked to give him hope and things to focus on by completing 12 challenges for Macmillan. These included a Half Marathon, the National 3 Peaks and playing squash for 24hrs

If anyone gets a chance, please check out my page:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/MaxAndTheMac12

Me, my friends and family have raised over £12,000 for Macmillan this year in his honour. If you are touched by the "C" and/or you feel my efforts have been credible please donate.

Max Ball

1 hour ago, OutandOutOwl said:

Thanks Mick

My Dad was a proud father, husband and friend to many people. 

He never moaned once about this awful illness he had to put up with.

I think his passing has been made easier by the fact that we know his suffering is over. The last two months wasn't a life, it was hell for him and all of us. His last moments were quick and he was with me and the rest of my family.

We did everything together and that will make these times hard.

I worked to give him hope and things to focus on by completing 12 challenges for Macmillan. These included a Half Marathon, the National 3 Peaks and playing squash for 24hrs

If anyone gets a chance, please check out my page:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/MaxAndTheMac12

Me, my friends and family have raised over £12,000 for Macmillan this year in his honour. If you are touched by the "C" and/or you feel my efforts have been credible please donate.

Max Ball

It was a pleasure to write it Max and heartfelt too. Your dad will truly be missed and remembered with respect and affection. My heart goes out to you and your family Max and i'm sure  your dad will be keeping a close eye on you and the family, aswell as Wednesday's results. All the very best to you Max and i appreciate the reply at this very sad time. The fact that you took the time out to do so, show's that you are a man your Dad will have been rightly very proud of.

Edited by Mick De Lyons