Sheffield Wednesday striker Stevie May

1 hour ago, David1867 said:

My view is that he was a terrible finisher and along with Nuhiu formed one of the worst strike partnerships iv seen at Hillsboro in the last 15/20 years. 

The amount of simple chances these 2 missed was absolutely staggering. I remember a game and I can't remember who it was against but May should have have scored 4. One of his worst misses in that game was a fresh air shot from the edge of the 6 yard box with only the keeper to beat. 

I remember on here reading that he doesn't get the "correct service" but when he did get chances they were wasted. It was the same about him making clever runs etc, half of the time he was just running down a blind alley and didn't know what to do when he got the ball. Any centre half with a little bit about him completely owned stevie may. 

Stuart Gray came in for criticism for negative tactics etc but ultimately it was his strikers that cost him his job. The defence kept a record amount of clean sheets but the strikers probably missed a record amount of chances. 

As with a lot of posts on Stevie May, that's harsh.

The reason we kept a record number of clean sheets was the extremely cautious way Stuart Gray set us up. May was hampered massively by this, and after a bright start his confidence drained away. 

On top of that we were skint, and without Antonio, had no goalscorers in the team. That put an awful lot of pressure on a young lad in his first season at such a competitive level. 

He was no world beater, he had his flaws of course, but I liked him. He had some good qualities. I think he was incredibly unlucky with how his Wednesday career panned out and it doesn't look like his luck has changed after moving on.

2 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

As with a lot of posts on Stevie May, that's harsh.

The reason we kept a record number of clean sheets was the extremely cautious way Stuart Gray set us up. May was hampered massively by this, and after a bright start his confidence drained away. 

On top of that we were skint, and without Antonio, had no goalscorers in the team. That put an awful lot of pressure on a young lad in his first season at such a competitive level. 

He was no world beater, he had his flaws of course, but I liked him. He had some good qualities. I think he was incredibly unlucky with how his Wednesday career panned out and it doesn't look like his luck has changed after moving on.

It's harsh but true unfortunately. His job was to score and he missed a lot of very basic chances. 

11 hours ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

He came, he saw, he con... oop's, erm he left....

A Bit like much of Jockland at the presant, sounds good, promises much, wants everything and thinks they are it - but in reality offers so little..

Where, oh where, was Jimmy Crankie's love child when Stevie needed her ?

I'm with Trump, we should build a wall and keep the free loading feckers out...

lol

Slowly does it captain. Some bloke called Hadrian beat you to building that wall a few years back. It's still there ; just needs tarting up in a few places. lol 

22 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I just KNOW I'll be in the minority here, but I was sad to see him leave

Such a good scoring record in Scotland and included in Strachan's senior squad as probably their youngest player - I suppose the pressure was on

He scored a few goals and then had that game at Hillsborough (was it Norwich 0-0?) when he could/should have scored four or five but it wouldn't go in for him

I seem to think Stuart had a moan and dropped him and his confidence took a hit

Then, once we were clear from the drop zone Stuart gave Lavery a run and rotated between Nuhiu, May, Bus & Keane alongside him

I got the impression Carlos didn't want to sell but couldn't guarantee game time, so off he went

I thought £1m plus add-ons was too cheap an' all, but then he got injured so it looks like a good bit of business

Shame really

Favourite memory: Setting up Atdhe's goal at ManC in the FA Cup (and celebrating our winner at Rotherham)

I hate posts like this. You do realise its OwlsTalk philosophy that once a player leaves for another team he's automatically utter useless and most probably "the worst (INSERT POSITION) I have ever seen in a Wednesday shirt".

16 minutes ago, Lythamowl said:

No room for sentiment in football

cold hard facts were he just wasn't good enough at this level.

Disagree. I think hes good enough for the level. He just wasn't good enough for the level we were going for.

22 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Such a good scoring record in Scotland and included in Strachan's senior squad as probably their youngest player - I suppose the pressure was on

He scored a few goals and then had that game at Hillsborough (was it Norwich 0-0?) when he could/should have scored four or five but it wouldn't go in for him

Then, once we were clear from the drop zone Stuart gave Lavery a run and rotated between Nuhiu, May, Bus & Keane alongside him

I got the impression Carlos didn't want to sell but couldn't guarantee game time, so off he went

I thought £1m plus add-ons was too cheap an' all, but then he got injured so it looks like a good bit of business

Shame really

Favourite memory: Setting up Atdhe's goal at ManC in the FA Cup (and celebrating our winner at Rotherham)

Was it not Wolves at home in December? 

I remember he could have had four or five goals. He outran the defence on numerous occassions, but fired all his shots marginally the wrong side of the post. 

We ended up on the wrong side of a 1-0 scoreline in a game that we really should have taken all three points from.

I really liked him, but you could see later on in the season that he was unhappy and was probably going to be leaving during the summer.

1 hour ago, Lythamowl said:

No room for sentiment in football

cold hard facts were he just wasn't good enough at this level.

Agree with this, came with so much promise but struggled to adapt to English football. 

Didn't know he was injured, wish him a successful recovery, never like to see players with bad injuries....suspect once fit he will go back to Scotland to finish his career after making a few quid on the bench and in the physio room in England!

23 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Shame really

I thought he'd come good

Most of us were excited that we had actually BOUGHT a striker

Unfortunately he was a bit out of his depth but he was a tryer and he got stuck in.........if only Hooper had the same determination he may score even more

One day he will come back and haunt us.........they always do

twas the flowing locks that hindered him and the boring repetitive moans at training of "they'll never take our freedom"

He was what I'd call a plucky player, good team man who put a shift in but was out of his depth - we were desperate for a signing to hush us fans up

Wish him well wherever and whatever he's doing

Guest Copthorneowl

I was introduced to Milan M when we played Brighton at Brighton and won 1-0 a year or two back by a mate of mine who provides finance for many of the deals in the Champ and Prem. We had sold Antonio and gained May and I was determined to ask him why we sold Antonio. 

His reply was Antonio asked to be away so didn't want to keep him then said "wait till you see this kid (Stevie May) he's a much better player than Antonio" says it all really.

4 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

I was introduced to Milan M when we played Brighton at Brighton and won 1-0 a year or two back by a mate of mine who provides finance for many of the deals in the Champ and Prem. We had sold Antonio and gained May and I was determined to ask him why we sold Antonio. 

His reply was Antonio asked to be away so didn't want to keep him then said "wait till you see this kid (Stevie May) he's a much better player than Antonio" says it all really.

To be fair when we signed him there was a fairly special buzz of interest around England and Scotland that we don't usually get for our signings, because he was a highly rated young player.

Unfortunately it seems it was one of those times when England and Scotland were wrong 

You have to remember he was very well thought of across England.

He had the best goal scoring record in Scotland (better than hoopers)

And playing for a much worse team.

He came here full on confidence, looked good against Derby on his debut then went on to score a lovely goal against Middlesborough away and a great solo goal against Birmingham.

We then, as a team stopped playing attacking football and we we're lucky if we created 1 chance a game. He was also dumped on the right wing some games.

Also i think people forget he is a year younger than Lucas Joao, and he scored more goals in the league than him in his first season with us, in a far worse team with the same game time.

Let that sink in.

Obviously he got a terrible injury after a handful of games for Preston, and hes been out a year. 

Apparently he came back in a behind closed doors game last week and scored a hat trick. So good luck to him, I hope he comes back stronger and goes on to fulfill his potential.

After all it would have been easy for him to sit in our reserves and pick a paycheck up, see Bus, Dielna, Mcgugan etc...

At least he wanted to play every week and moved on.

Always liked him. 

5 minutes ago, Bradshaw said:

You have to remember he was very well thought of across England.

He had the best goal scoring record in Scotland (better than hoopers)

And playing for a much worse team.

He came here full on confidence, looked good against Derby on his debut then went on to score a lovely goal against Middlesborough away and a great solo goal against Birmingham.

We then, as a team stopped playing attacking football and we we're lucky if we created 1 chance a game. He was also dumped on the right wing some games.

Also i think people forget he is a year younger than Lucas Joao, and he scored more goals in the league than him in his first season with us, in a far worse team with the same game time.

Let that sink in.

Obviously he got a terrible injury after a handful of games for Preston, and hes been out a year. 

Apparently he came back in a behind closed doors game last week and scored a hat trick. So good luck to him, I hope he comes back stronger and goes on to fulfill his potential.

After all it would have been easy for him to sit in our reserves and pick a paycheck up, see Bus, Dielna, Mcgugan etc...

At least he wanted to play every week and moved on.

Always liked him. 

I agree with most of this.  I really wanted him to succeed but he always just lacked the pace, just lacked the strength and just lacked the composure to really get to the levels we hoped he would.

I do hope he find his feet again but I think we got a VERY good deal when he went to Preston.

Edited by wednesdaywizard