Sheffield Wednesday or England?

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

My Godson has just got back from a stint working in Sweden Grimmy, as a green keeper, at a golf course. Must pay more attention and ask him where in Sweden!

Not surprised his stint has now ended with the standard 5 month winter starting last week ;)

For me its Wednesday and it doesn't even come close.

I remember being heartbroken as a kid when England lost on penalties against Germany, but that was nothing compared to the heartbreak of Wednesday being relegated from the old division one.

Then when Southgate fluffed that penalty at Euro 96 I was gutted, but didn't come close to how I felt waiting for a train back to Sheffield on that rainy Thursday night, hoping my dad wouldn't see my tears after losing in the FA Cup Final replay.

No England game has ever given me the same high as watching Wednesday. The sound of the 'dink' when Sheridans shot went in off the post, or Waddles free kick against the blunts at Wembley. I can't think of any England victory that has given me the same buzz as any of the wins over the blunts.

Even this year, it took me all summer to get over the play off final....and it still hurts now, but when England got beat by Iceland it bothered me for about a day.

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

Came back with a sun tan. Must make up for the 5 month winter. Can only assume summers aren't too shabby.

lol well it somewhat depends on which part of Sweden you're in but no the summers aren't that great TBH they're pretty short and in the middle you can get a week or two around 38c which isn't fun!

Just now, S_W_F_C said:

How did you become a Wednesday fan? Does it go back to us signing the best right back I will ever see in a Wednesday shirt (sorry Mel, local hero as you were you were no Roly)

I'm a naturalised Swede, born and raised in Grimsby for my sins ;)

38 minutes ago, Grimbarian said:

Wednesday getting promoted, no contest, but then I'm Swedish ;)

spent quite a bit of time with a Swedish family on holiday last summer, they lived about an hour southwest of Stockholm, great family, fantastic people, really enjoyed their company.

Husband was a Leeds fan [genuinely nice bloke] got over for about 7/8 games a season, loved talking football, really knowledgable about the English game he even new about the tribulations over at S2.

Oh nearly forgot the reason for posting................................Wednesday all the way, lost interest in England despite me and my mates watching them regularly over the years.

Edited by lt109

38 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Sing when you're fishing, you only sing when you're fishing, sing when you're fishing

lol

You and I both know singing scares off the fishes ;) Plenty of fishing this year at the summerhouse, some nice Chub especially :)

Edited by Grimbarian

Would be greedy and say both, however having only watched England 3 times live compared to Wednesday about 1000 the answer has to Wednesday. I would advise anyone (who's English) who loves watching Wednesday away, to get to at least 1 England away game, went to France this year for the Wales game, the atmosphere pre, during and post match was worth going on its own. Luckily we choose the only match we won which helped. Still Wednesday first for me though.

It has to be Wednesday. I even supported Germany in the 1966 World Cup Final - mainly because Ramsey wouldn't have Ron Springett as his first-choice goalkeeper! Unlike Scotland, there is little nationalistic fervor in England, especially north of the Watford Gap. England the football team is a load of crap.