How Abdi fitted into Watford's promotion side.

Well I've been banging on about switching back to a three all season It seems obvious, and would seem to suit most of our players, apart from perhaps Hooper. It's not just the Abdi situation, although we really need to find a solution to that problem. All our midfield players would be better in a central three. Likewise, all our full backs were signed for their attacking qualities, as opposed to their defensive capabilities. I'm not sure what that would mean for our selection of, largely ineffective wingers though. Perhaps some could find positions within the central three, or further back, or maybe they'll just become impact subs. It would be interesting to hear whether Watford were able to incorporate any wingers in their systems, or whether the width came primarily from the full backs. Time for change methinks

48 minutes ago, Rentaghost said:

http://www.90min.com/posts/2105798-5-watford-players-that-will-have-a-big-impact-on-the-premier-league-next-season

just over a year ago. You don't get write ups like that without showing some kind of ability 

that's just some blokes opinion and 3 of the five are all playing at a lower level than the prem so tells you his opinion is worth no more than yours or mine . 

No better time to get Abdi in and on the front foot,

No single player can complain about being dropped, Carlos has actually got less of a problem working Abdi in now after Ipswich,

Me personally would like to see Loovens back and Hutch moved up into midfield just to go fully back to basics, The way Lee can run into space him at the side iof Abdi, Hutch behind. I'd drop Pudil and have Reach left back with Forestieri in front of him,

Serious questions over why Buckley int playing, Hirst to come on from the bench asap please,

But to reitterate Abdi now needs to be an answer to Bannan cos I hate to say this but he's not been the player we saw last yr am affraid, I thought we'd exorcised the demons against Huddersfield but watchin that last week - Wow, 

Only game I can compare that to was England v Iceland - The way we played was so so very similar, Infact it was in so much similar vein the only thing what was missing was our players falling to the floor Joe Hart style final whistle,

Abdi starts next game at Fulham - End of,

17 hours ago, Beholder said:

...........Lees.........Hutch........Loovens

Wallace..............Jones......................Reach......

...............Lee..................Abdi..................

.............Hooper...............Forestieri.............

I think we'd get tortured down the right hand side. Lee would be the only one capable of any protection.

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

Did Abdi ever play with FF or weren't they at Watford at same time?

3 - 5 - 2  with both of these in midfield, ff to left of abdi in centre, jones behing and lee , reach wing backs 

34 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think we'd get tortured down the right hand side. Lee would be the only one capable of any protection.

We already get tortured down the right and the left! 

It's a back 3 don't forget so Lees would occupy a different position. 

38 minutes ago, Beholder said:

We already get tortured down the right and the left! 

It's a back 3 don't forget so Lees would occupy a different position. 

We would understand a new definition of torture, it's about who plays there rather than the formation itself. Lees would need greater protection than that which would be provided by Wallace, otherwise Lees would be facing wingers alone with only two other recognised defenders behind him. At least with our current line up using Wallace it's the full back put in that position with three other defenders behind him when stretched.

Edited by Bluesteel

29 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

We would understand a new definition of torture, it's about who plays there rather than the formation itself. Lees would need greater protection than that which would be provided by Wallace, otherwise Lees would be facing wingers alone with only two other recognised defenders behind him. At least with our current line up using Wallace it's the full back put in that position with three other defenders behind him when stretched.

Well as your only objection to the formation is Wallace as wing back,  maybe another player? We have quite a few who could play that role. 

Just now, Beholder said:

Well as your only objection to the formation is Wallace as wing back,  maybe another player? We have quite a few who could play that role. 

Potentially yeah, perhaps even Buckley who seems willing to graft defensively. I wouldn't want to leave fletcher out so perhaps FF in midfield somewhere. He could potentially play wide right too and cut inside.

15 hours ago, Fuzzy logics said:

A fit Abdi would be in all of my permutations...but I like this one - 3-5-2

Westwood

Lees            Hutchinson          Pudil

Hunt          Lee               Abdi           Bannan          Reach

Fletcher             Forestieri

That's what I'd go for except Id play Hooper instead of Forestieri.

If you're going for the 3-man defence you need wing-backs who can get forward as well as cover the flanks. Think this is as close as you'd get to that with the current squad.

Nice to see a proper football thread.

given that Abdi and Jones were central figures in promotion midfields AND cut it in the premiership; they have to given a chance in their proper positions.

Makes you question who did the recruitment when we have a player of Abdi's credentials unable to fit into the team.

It worries me that Carlos in his last interview was making references about players who want to play in specific positions such as number 10, can't have it their way. He had said similar about McGugan last year and look how that turned out.

Edited by Beholder

48 minutes ago, Beholder said:

It worries me that Carlos in his last interview was making references about players who want to play in specific positions such as number 10, can't have it their way. He had said similar about McGugan last year and look how that turned out.

Were that the case, it would suggest that we haven't done our homework TWICE It seems to me, that we are looking at a totally different scenario to the one previously, at Watford. Abdi played in a midfield three with players with sharper movement ahead of him. Here, he would have to play in a midfield two, with far more responsibility for defensive duties, and have the largely static Hooper and Fletcher ahead of him

4 hours ago, Beholder said:

Our midfield doesn't really have specific position's. We have 3 that are allowed to be fluid when attacking. Maybe Mcgugen didn't fit in as he didnt have the fitness that the midfield requires for it to work. I hope abdi does and he has shown it at watford

Edited by flo

We should have looked to build the team around Abdi. I said it months ago, we should have looked at Abdi as the constant, not Hooper, Fletcher or FF. They needed to learn how to play with him. However if you are going to play someone like Abdi as a No.10 or attacking CM, the strikers have to be mobile. Constantly on the move or half turn. Both to play aggressive forward passes to and also to create space for him. I think someone said earlier he had more mobile strikers at Watford to hit. I don't think Fletcher or Hooper fit that description, I think FF can be a little unpredictable, Joao maybe fits more than the others but has been a rare sight this season. 

My point is this, Abdi will forever look out of place if we don't have the right players for him to feed and feed off. I think it's less important who plays in midfield with him and more important who plays ahead of him. I reckon Scott Hogan or someone of that ilk is essential in January. It's a shame that Matias has been even rarer this season because I think there would have been potential there.

For what it's worth, I think the 4-2-3-1 away from home with Abdi as the central player in the 3. At home, tweak it to 4-1-3-2. Minimal change of system, minimal change of personnel.