How Abdi fitted into Watford's promotion side.

it'd be fab to see, very attacking and open football

pity it won't happen but we should adopt it after we score a goal ie go for the juggler and get a second one

then revert to 4-1-3-2 - job done

we'd make a good team buddy but I'm the gaffer ok?:manager:

3 hours ago, scram said:

I'll be honest - i said at the time that our pre-season recruitment convinced me that we were going with a 3 in central midfield - either in a 3-5-2, 4-3-3 or 4-5-1

It would defintely get our best players in their best positions

To explore your last sentence. Would all three formations get our best players in?

352 - should work for the front 7 as we get to play an extra midfielder, but have we got 3 defenders that can play this? Hutch, Loovens, Lees. Then Sasso in reserve. Bit threadbare but it works. Question - who could play wide right, given they need to be decent defensively? Couldn't be Wallace defending on his wrong foot. Buckley...Cant see that. Also, from what you know of Abdi, do you see him, FF and Lee working in the same midfield. Their first instinct is to go forward.

433 - assuming our best goalscorer and our best targetman are considered to be among our important players, could 433 suit Hooper and Fletcher? Not sure about that.

451 - definitely can't get Hooper and Fletch in that.

2 hours ago, ash60s said:

it'd be fab to see, very attacking and open football

pity it won't happen but we should adopt it after we score a goal ie go for the juggler and get a second one

then revert to 4-1-3-2 - job done

we'd make a good team buddy but I'm the gaffer ok?:manager:

Go for the juggler...

Maybe when we play Billy Smart FC :tango:

3 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

They usually played with two up front as well didn't they?

Did they play 3-5-2?

Under Zola it was 3-5-2

Under Sannino then Jokanovic it was more 4-3-1-2 (with Abdi being the 1)

Sometimes Ighalo would play ahead of Deeney in a loose version of 4-5-1

But Abdi always played - and starred in the team

Guest Kagoshimaowl

He obviously has qualities but it ain't working at the moment.  Out of position or not, he still should have shown more than he has.

Also, interesting to see that Bannan is suddenly no longer on anyone's starting lists.  He played left midfield for a lot of last season and I think he is a better player than our 5 million record signing.  Not that is a lad who hasn't pulled up any trees so far!

A fit Abdi would be in all of my permutations...but I like this one - 3-5-2

Westwood

Lees            Hutchinson          Pudil

Hunt          Lee               Abdi           Bannan          Reach

Fletcher             Forestieri

Edited by Fuzzy logics

13 hours ago, scram said:

He was part of a 3

Daniel Toszer and either Geurdiora or Gianni Munari making up the other 2

Not a midfield "beast" among them - just very gifted players - Tozser was the deep lying player who would break play up and recycle possession - he has a very good range of passing too

Abdi is way too good to be on our bench - or in the stands!

Then Carlos needs to start earning his corn and see what the people with a football brain are saying, I like the bloke very much but he has a serious floor, (his ability to think outside his own philosophy) he is definetly not making his luck this season and he really should be with the clout he has had.

Trouble is, like matias and joao he is good enough to be a top player on this league if he was at another club.

Here they get the odd game and they perform or don't get in again for ages.

Can see Reach going same way.

For me it's obvious we need to play 352 or 433 but Carlos thinks otherwise.

I still have faith in Carlos, he knows more than me about the game but I'm struggling to see why we don't play these obviously talented players.

1 hour ago, OzOwl said:

Then Carlos needs to start earning his corn and see what the people with a football brain are saying, I like the bloke very much but he has a serious floor, (his ability to think outside his own philosophy) he is definetly not making his luck this season and he really should be with the clout he has had.

who are these people with a football brain and what are they saying ?.....

14 hours ago, scram said:

The other Watford players called him The Professor - they were exptremely surprised and disappointed when he was allowed to leave

He was brilliant at Watford - a bit of a slow burner to start with - but i'd say he was the best midfielder in the division when he was with them

Carlos is still looking around for a box of matches here

It's obvious our problem in midfield at the moment is playing fitting Lee and Bannan into the same same...the gerrard/lampard debate!! I honestly think the system Chelsea are playing st the moment would work.

Drop Lee into wing back, reach the other...both are fit enough to do the job!  3 at the back, 3 across the middle...possibly jones, bannan and abdi (he's got to be given a consistent run) and you've got to make FF, Hooper and Fletcher work for the top spots...hooper is a must at the moment.

Trying to fit 3 or 4 central midfielders into our side at the moment is unatural and isn't working !!