Carlos needs to change his philosophy.

For me Carlos needs to change his philosophy based on the season so far and recent results or he could end up losing his job before Christmas. What do I mean by this? Well this retaining possession for the sake of it is killing us right now. Last season we weren't a team who relied on holding on to the ball for so long and were more fluent, direct and therefore scored a lot more goals than we are doing now. If all of our players were comfortable on the ball then this could work but let's be honest, we are no Arsenal or Barcelona. On top of that we keep hold of possession for that long that it allows the opposition to get men behind the ball and we are then struggling to break teams down. It may look pretty to some but it serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever if our first thought it to play the ball back just to keep hold of possession. It's happening far too many times for my liking and it's clearly something that Carlos has demanded because he's on the touchline applauding it when we keep the ball. Take Ipswich today, they were second best in the possession stakes and looking very ordinary when all of a sudden Hunt loses possession and then Ipswich are very direct and end up scoring a goal. Same thing happened last weekend at Derby, we were dominating them in the possession stakes for long periods but end up losing the game 2-0. We tend to be scraping together wins when we do get results and are often coming from behind in having to do so. I remember a time today when their CB Webster ran 50 metres up the field with the ball unchallenged until he finally lost the ball just outside our box. Rather than then attack at tempo and directness seeing as they were a CB light we just retained possession again sliding the ball sideways, backwards and loosely forwards. By the time we got into a half-threatening position, Webster had got back into his CB position - that's just wrong. I think anyone thinking that we are going to do as well or surpass last season are going to be disappointed and it's quite clear to see that the players aren't enjoying it as much as last season. Yes, a lot of this can be down to the actions of Forestieri who clearly riled a few with his antics only a couple of weeks into the season but I think that quite a lot has to lay at the door of Carvalhal too as he's the one who sets out the plan of action and strategy which we are to stick to as well as instructs the board which players he would like. I thought this guy was supposed to have written a book on tactics? It must have only been one chapter in length because he's stuck to the same system and even when he makes a substitution it's just like for like or swaps players around but plays the same system. 

Full backs are a big issue for me presently as neither look comfortable in what they are being asked to do. Fletcher today was having to come far too deep to get the ball. Reach hasn't started to fire yet. Forestieri looks lost. Hooper is having to fight for the ball too much in the air, not his best attribute. 

Positives: Westwood, Lees, Hutchinson, Lee, Bannan, Fletcher

Unsure: Jones, Hooper

Negatives: Hunt, Pudil, Forestieri

In the Cold: Abdi, Joao, Matias, Nuhiu

I'd like to see Carlos be a success because he's a nice guy but there has to be some reason why he hasn't lasted long at any of the clubs he's been at in the past?!

Our season tickets are on average more than most in the PL so I doubt that many will suffer fools for too long. Yes we had a wonderful season last year but it was just that, last season. Personally we are going backwards rather than looking like a team who look like threatening the automatic positions or even the top end of the play-offs presently.

His stubbornness to adapt his playing style could end up being his downfall. Its clear to everyone we need a midfield enforcer , yet he refuses to sign one . He refuses to play two wide men in our 4-4-2- system , which makes us unbalanced , but he insists on playing a central midfielder out wide.  

8 minutes ago, Babushka1867 said:

For me Carlos needs to change his philosophy based on the season so far and recent results or he could end up losing his job before Christmas. What do I mean by this? Well this retaining possession for the sake of it is killing us right now. Last season we weren't a team who relied on holding on to the ball for so long and were more fluent, direct and therefore scored a lot more goals than we are doing now. If all of our players were comfortable on the ball then this could work but let's be honest, we are no Arsenal or Barcelona. On top of that we keep hold of possession for that long that it allows the opposition to get men behind the ball and we are then struggling to break teams down. It may look pretty to some but it serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever if our first thought it to play the ball back just to keep hold of possession. It's happening far too many times for my liking and it's clearly something that Carlos has demanded because he's on the touchline applauding it when we keep the ball. Take Ipswich today, they were second best in the possession stakes and looking very ordinary when all of a sudden Hunt loses possession and then Ipswich are very direct and end up scoring a goal. Same thing happened last weekend at Derby, we were dominating them in the possession stakes for long periods but end up losing the game 2-0. We tend to be scraping together wins when we do get results and are often coming from behind in having to do so. I remember a time today when their CB Webster ran 50 metres up the field with the ball unchallenged until he finally lost the ball just outside our box. Rather than then attack at tempo and directness seeing as they were a CB light we just retained possession again sliding the ball sideways, backwards and loosely forwards. By the time we got into a half-threatening position, Webster had got back into his CB position - that's just wrong. I think anyone thinking that we are going to do as well or surpass last season are going to be disappointed and it's quite clear to see that the players aren't enjoying it as much as last season. Yes, a lot of this can be down to the actions of Forestieri who clearly riled a few with his antics only a couple of weeks into the season but I think that quite a lot has to lay at the door of Carvalhal too as he's the one who sets out the plan of action and strategy which we are to stick to as well as instructs the board which players he would like. I thought this guy was supposed to have written a book on tactics? It must have only been one chapter in length because he's stuck to the same system and even when he makes a substitution it's just like for like or swaps players around but plays the same system. 

Full backs are a big issue for me presently as neither look comfortable in what they are being asked to do. Fletcher today was having to come far too deep to get the ball. Reach hasn't started to fire yet. Forestieri looks lost. Hooper is having to fight for the ball too much in the air, not his best attribute. 

Positives: Westwood, Lees, Hutchinson, Lee, Bannan, Fletcher

Unsure: Jones, Hooper

Negatives: Hunt, Pudil, Forestieri

In the Cold: Abdi, Joao, Matias, Nuhiu

I'd like to see Carlos be a success because he's a nice guy but there has to be some reason why he hasn't lasted long at any of the clubs he's been at in the past?!

Our season tickets are on average more than most in the PL so I doubt that many will suffer fools for too long. Yes we had a wonderful season last year but it was just that, last season. Personally we are going backwards rather than looking like a team who look like threatening the automatic positions or even the top end of the play-offs presently.

Great post bro.  CC is a lovely guy but his interviews, particularly this evening are wearing thin.  Xmas I think and a decision may have to be made. 

31 minutes ago, Soul Power said:

If you play the possession game you have to have pace and penetration in thd final third. We simply do not have this and the opposition have the time to sit back and prepare for us coming forward. We are crying out for a JJ or an Antonio strong direct pacy forward.

Exactly,  Reading for example, they play possession football but have pace upfront with the likes of McCleary and theyve started to get it together already and in the playoffs.

Don't hold your breath - just can't see it happening.  If he doesn't know his best side after 17 games or whatever it is, he'll never know.

He has only got himself to blame - the summer recruitment was a complete FU and he now has a lopsided mix of players which he can't knock into a team.

IMO We'll keep going on as we are until DC loses patience.  We are ponderous, predicable, soft and seem to have lost the knack of scoring more than one goal per game.

Reading and Leeds, both c**p last season look better than us, good recruitment and managers who seem to know how to set sides up and play to their strengths.

1 hour ago, aeroswfc said:

He could do with changing it now and again. 

Give the opposition something to think about. 

To what? we have no pace up front so cant use the channels or over the top, we have full backs being used as wing backs, Hunt losses the ball,1 down.

Pudil has even less pace than Hunt.

Our Midfield has no height, or Physicality, and our CB pairing has its limits.

It really bugs me when we have a free kick  well up the field and all we do is take it short and eventually pass it back to the defence or even the GK. Why don't we look to get the ball in the box?

It's the same with throw-ins. Some teams are dangerous when a throw is obtained in the last third, we definitely are not. As for corners, I'll bet we score less than just about every other team in the Championship from these set pieces. FF took two corners in quick succession today and both were shocking being unable to beat the first defender.

I really must question the quality of work done in training re set pieces.

3 hours ago, edwinowl said:

Great post bro.  CC is a lovely guy but his interviews, particularly this evening are wearing thin.  Xmas I think and a decision may have to be made. 

Not sure he makes Christmas.

3 tough aways and a tidy Preston next. A poor return from that lot and he's possibly done for.

Carlos just has to stick to a settled team, he obviously is iffy about Palmer and Hunt both arent good enough.

My team would be:

Westwood

Hutchinson Lees Loovens Pudil

Lee

Forestieri Abdi Reach

Hooper Fletcher

Good sides have a formation which works, and the players in that system are interchangeable, but essentially all know their respective roles.

As it stands, we have no 1st choice, concrete eleven to start, no settled formation and a lot of players underperforming.

It's a recipe for disaster, and if that sounds melodramatic, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that after the next 3 games, we could be in the lower half of the table, with a horrendous set of fixtures facing us in December.

1 hour ago, owlZfan84 said:

Carlos won't change his philosophy.

It's blaringly obvious.

And, as I've said in another thread, it'll cost him his job.

This 3 CM's in a 4 man midfield is a fuuuucking joke. It's not worked at all this season.

The league table proves that.

Which would be a shame. Well I'm still optimistic that he might. After all, he has already changed once from his original 4-3-3, or at least a variation of it. Strangely, he changed to a 4-4-2 system, after bringing in a dozen players to play 4-3-3. Even more bizarrely, he's continued to sign players better suited to that system