Top ten side and no more..........

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

True, some fans have far too high expectations, but I think you're kidding yourself (excuse the pun) if you think we're progressing. That's the worrying thing for me, we've slipped, as others have got better, and we might find it starts to unravel, as it hasn't been built on solid foundations. It was willful in the extreme, to think we could pay scant attention to the defensive side of the game, and simply out score teams. When have we ever looked like doing that?

I don't want to see all the good work undone, and I certainly don't want to see Carlos lose his job, but believe me, that will happen unless Carlos is prepared to change tack.

Agree with this Guru.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I'm not sure, we've pretty much had the option of fielding our strongest side for most of the season, and it's never really clicked. Personally, I think the balance is wrong, and in my opinion, we really messed up the last transfer window

But there is the problem we have had the option but he chops and changes every game. I can't remember us having the same side for two games in a row. It needs to be settled and we will be fine. However I fear Carlos will not keep a settled side and it might very well be his own undoing. 

As as for balance again we could solve that by nt playing people out of position. 

Edited by kidc77

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I'm not sure, we've pretty much had the option of fielding our strongest side for most of the season, and it's never really clicked. Personally, I think the balance is wrong, and in my opinion, we really messed up the last transfer window

Recruitment this summer wasn't good at all. We failed to strengthen the areas that needed it.

9 minutes ago, Mick De Lyons said:

Among these results we have had four games where we got last minute winners. We have looked out of sorts all season apart from a few games. I am taking the season as a whole up to now and so far, yes, we are only a top ten side. The table doesn't lie either. Ive said in the OP that we are still likely to get a play off spot, but i think there isn't much difference in terms of quality in the clubs outside of the top two and then up tp tenth place, which is why everyone cam beat everyone on their day.

Agree with what your saying there, does seem to be not much difference between 2nd and 10th placed teams in terms of quality. Your right in what you say, a few of our wins were last minute winners, but same for goals going against us late on like against Birmingham and Ipswich. All balances out over a season by the looks of it. Still confident of a top six finish. Just need the quality we saw so much of last season to start showing through again.

To be honest, I've almost given up on promotion this season. I just want us to start playing well (consistently) and exciting the fans again - particularly when I've paid £55 for myself and my daughter to attend, not counting add-ons.  Today was like watching paint dry. We could have played for another couple of hours and not scored again. Lots of people have lots of theories but I just don't know what is going wrong. So many players are under performing, but why? There has to be a reason for this. Is it the way they are being asked to play that just isn't suiting them? The new players are also struggling, yet all played well for their previous clubs - Abdi for Watford, Jones for Burnley and Reach for Preston (on loan). Even Fletch looked poor today.

Was interesting (not really) watching Hutch, Lees, Pudil and Bannan tippy tapping between them today. This really annoys the crowd but I think there are two reasons for them doing this. One is to try and draw Ipswich's players out - which didn't really work today. The other is that to be fair nobody was moving ahead of them into any decent positions. Hutch was getting particularly frustrated on several occasions at the lack of movement ahead of him so ended up passing it to Pudil and urging him forward. Sometimes Bannan just looks devoid of any ideas.

Why do we not seem to have any players who are capable of running at players? Hooper gets the ball, and then seems to pass it backwards instead of taking it on and running towards goal, Lee does at least attempt to do this but often can't control it, Reach doesn't seem to want to do it, neither does Fletcher, Bannan had a few goes but kept losing it, etc, etc. Why? We surely must have players who are capable of doing this? Or are they being told not to?

Perhaps it's time to try something different. A few players need dropping for me. Neither of our full backs are good enough. Hunt is good going forward but is woeful at defending - the first goal was his fault today and he was skinned several times in that first half. Pudil is too slow and at times again today just went missing. The central defenders seem to keep having to compensate for the poor defending of the full backs which leaves us so thin at the back. If we are to push for automatic promotion at any time (not this season) we need some much stronger full backs.

Our midfield needs looking at (can't believe I'm saying that with all the players we have) but we probably do have the right players - we just need the right combination and for them all to be playing in the correct positions. Bannan was too wide again today and was playing like a winger in the first half, then again dropped too deep in the second half. We did at least play a bit better when Wallace came on. The most worrying thing today was the lack of chances we created. In other matches we've created loads but scored very few. Today we hardly created anything. Did we even have a shot on target other than the goal?

Summing up, we could have a chance of the play offs but that is it. It could take a few more years yet I fear. I don't like to criticise the team I love but I'm just so disappointed today. A couple of weeks ago we looked as if we had a great chance and within a week we're down to 10th place.

4 minutes ago, Owl 44 said:

To be honest, I've almost given up on promotion this season. I just want us to start playing well (consistently) and exciting the fans again - particularly when I've paid £55 for myself and my daughter to attend, not counting add-ons.  Today was like watching paint dry. We could have played for another couple of hours and not scored again. Lots of people have lots of theories but I just don't know what is going wrong. So many players are under performing, but why? There has to be a reason for this. Is it the way they are being asked to play that just isn't suiting them? The new players are also struggling, yet all played well for their previous clubs - Abdi for Watford, Jones for Burnley and Reach for Preston (on loan). Even Fletch looked poor today.

Was interesting (not really) watching Hutch, Lees, Pudil and Bannan tippy tapping between them today. This really annoys the crowd but I think there are two reasons for them doing this. One is to try and draw Ipswich's players out - which didn't really work today. The other is that to be fair nobody was moving ahead of them into any decent positions. Hutch was getting particularly frustrated on several occasions at the lack of movement ahead of him so ended up passing it to Pudil and urging him forward. Sometimes Bannan just looks devoid of any ideas.

Why do we not seem to have any players who are capable of running at players? Hooper gets the ball, and then seems to pass it backwards instead of taking it on and running towards goal, Lee does at least attempt to do this but often can't control it, Reach doesn't seem to want to do it, neither does Fletcher, Bannan had a few goes but kept losing it, etc, etc. Why? We surely must have players who are capable of doing this? Or are they being told not to?

Perhaps it's time to try something different. A few players need dropping for me. Neither of our full backs are good enough. Hunt is good going forward but is woeful at defending - the first goal was his fault today and he was skinned several times in that first half. Pudil is too slow and at times again today just went missing. The central defenders seem to keep having to compensate for the poor defending of the full backs which leaves us so thin at the back. If we are to push for automatic promotion at any time (not this season) we need some much stronger full backs.

Our midfield needs looking at (can't believe I'm saying that with all the players we have) but we probably do have the right players - we just need the right combination and for them all to be playing in the correct positions. Bannan was too wide again today and was playing like a winger in the first half, then again dropped too deep in the second half. We did at least play a bit better when Wallace came on. The most worrying thing today was the lack of chances we created. In other matches we've created loads but scored very few. Today we hardly created anything. Did we even have a shot on target other than the goal?

Summing up, we could have a chance of the play offs but that is it. It could take a few more years yet I fear. I don't like to criticise the team I love but I'm just so disappointed today. A couple of weeks ago we looked as if we had a great chance and within a week we're down to 10th place.

A good balanced post that.

I fear we are going to get taken over by others with a better plan, more desire and momentum. We need to up our game and adapt to this league's challenges.

2 minutes ago, Animis said:

A good balanced post that.

I fear we are going to get taken over by others with a better plan, more desire and momentum. We need to up our game and adapt to this league's challenges.

Taken over blimey by who. ..aliens!

2 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

Good post mate and agree with everything you say.

2 hours ago, OverTheBorder said:

How many games have been won convincingly this season? I can't think of one and it's now november. If the team is not playing any way near it's potential  then what chace is there of beating those which are? AKA Brighton, Newcastle etc.

Very little is the answer.

We might get top 6 but Villa, Derby, Wolves will really push on now i think , with Newcastle,Brighton,Norwich most likely the top 3.So we might have to fall over the line last few games of the season again if our consistency stays as poor.We'd be going as underdogs into Semis/Wembley against any of them again.

I backed Brighton to get at least 2 goals against Bristol City without a moments doubt even without Knockaert but can't remember the last time Wednesday made me confident of getting 2 goals even at home.

We did over achieve last season and were shock contenders with summer money expected to make us genuine ones but playing Semedo at Burton said it all.Rotherham contained Ipswich last time out and although away, with a poorer squad, boring and 2 shots on target they got 2 goals and a point more (nearly 3) than we got at home against them.

Carlos might have to change his approach as i think in the Prem he'd actually do ok with it at a Watford/Swansea/Bournemouth but it's a war of being flexible in the Championship.Brighton seem to be able to swamp teams, bully them but then outplay them too and i hoped Carlos would set us up like that this season.We've been totally scouted and figured out this season.

7 hours ago, sMacLean said:

We might get top 6 but Villa, Derby, Wolves will really push on now i think , with Newcastle,Brighton,Norwich most likely the top 3.So we might have to fall over the line last few games of the season again if our consistency stays as poor.We'd be going as underdogs into Semis/Wembley against any of them again.

I backed Brighton to get at least 2 goals against Bristol City without a moments doubt even without Knockaert but can't remember the last time Wednesday made me confident of getting 2 goals even at home.

We did over achieve last season and were shock contenders with summer money expected to make us genuine ones but playing Semedo at Burton said it all.Rotherham contained Ipswich last time out and although away, with a poorer squad, boring and 2 shots on target they got 2 goals and a point more (nearly 3) than we got at home against them.

Carlos might have to change his approach as i think in the Prem he'd actually do ok with it at a Watford/Swansea/Bournemouth but it's a war of being flexible in the Championship.Brighton seem to be able to swamp teams, bully them but then outplay them too and i hoped Carlos would set us up like that this season.We've been totally scouted and figured out this season.

I think many people are realizing that Carlos will have to change his approach to games. As you say, i'm not confident thatvwe can score anymore than one goal in a game and invariably, we don't.