Top ten side and no more..........

When your midfield consists of Bannan and Lee then the best you can hope for is play offs. I said after Wembley and stand by it now we needed a centre half, physical player in midfield, winger and striker as a minimum. We've got Fletcher, Reach has shown glimpses but other than that no better than last season. The recruitment has been poor.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

When your midfield consists of Bannan and Lee then the best you can hope for is play offs. I said after Wembley and stand by it now we needed a centre half, physical player in midfield, winger and striker as a minimum. We've got Fletcher, Reach has shown glimpses but other than that no better than last season. The recruitment has been poor.

Honestly right now, bannan should be on the bench with hutch in the middle with lee. 

Loovens back in with Tom lees at the back and bring another CB in at Xmas. 

Edited by kidc77

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I agree the recruitment has been poor this season. We didn't strengthen where we needed to and the signings that have been brought in haven't improved the side at all and just added to the dilemma over who should play and what formation to use.

5 minutes ago, Mick De Lyons said:

Quite a while then.

I think it shows how wild our fans expectations are, I never thought we would challenge seriously this year although I did think and still do think we will be in or near the play offs. That said we have a good first eleven ( or would if he would stick to picking it game in game out ) but beyond that we need to strengthen massively. If we got hit with 2 or 3 key player injuries at once we are in trouble. 

5 minutes ago, kidc77 said:

I think it shows how wild our fans expectations are, I never thought we would challenge seriously this year although I did think and still do think we will be in or near the play offs. That said we have a good first eleven ( or would if he would stick to picking it game in game out ) but beyond that we need to strengthen massively. If we got hit with 2 or 3 key player injuries at once we are in trouble. 

Even if we got up, we would need virtually a new side, because the premiership is a different kettle of fish quality wise. Just look at Hull and Burnley are hanging on by their finger tips and have done this all once before. Realistically its going to tale another three or four seasons.

7 minutes ago, Mick De Lyons said:

Even if we got up, we would need virtually a new side, because the premiership is a different kettle of fish quality wise. Just look at Hull and Burnley are hanging on by their finger tips and have done this all once before. Realistically its going to tale another three or four seasons.

Couldnt agree more I think even if by a miracle we go up it would be a even bigger miracle to not finish bottom. 

Until two games a go we had one 5 out of 8, that is top 6 knocking on top two form which our league position reflected. Because of a dip in form ( which happens to every team at some points in a season ) we only just capable of top ten? 

A couple of decent results throws us right back into the play off mix. Far to much worrying going off for this stage of the season.

I'm not usually one to come on here after games and moan. I don't most much in the math day section at the best of times.

But along with Leeds at home this result f*cking stinks. There's not really much you can say about it. It's a result that simply isn't acceptable for a side with aspirations of promotion. I know Newcastle are a different beast, but they and Brighton wouldn't have let today happen. We're a million miles off both at the minute.

Honestly we can f*cking forget promotion until some of these stupid results change. It's not acceptable to have things like this ridiculous record against Derby going on forever, or to continue to fail to come up with answers to any "organised" side who even remotely stifles us. 

It's November and there are STILL question marks over Forrestieri, over our recruitment and over the game plan and system. You can possibly get away with one out of three of those things, but to have all 3 rules us out of contention as far as I'm concerned.

40 minutes ago, kidc77 said:

True, some fans have far too high expectations, but I think you're kidding yourself (excuse the pun) if you think we're progressing. That's the worrying thing for me, we've slipped, as others have got better, and we might find it starts to unravel, as it hasn't been built on solid foundations. It was willful in the extreme, to think we could pay scant attention to the defensive side of the game, and simply out score teams. When have we ever looked like doing that?

I don't want to see all the good work undone, and I certainly don't want to see Carlos lose his job, but believe me, that will happen unless Carlos is prepared to change tack.

2 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Wembley was our big opportunity. I don't think we're going to get that close again for a good while. 

I said openly on here that it was THE chance. I got hammered for saying it.

I believed it then and I am even more convinced now. we look a consistently ordinary side and will do amazingly well to finish 6th. 

2 hours ago, j-savas said:

When you look at the facts which are: Played 16, won 7 lost 6, scored 17 against 19 its difficult to remain upbeat about it. More annoying is that a team who have changed their manager every 2 weeks recently (Leeds), at the moment lie above us. Can't believe it really. Sure I'll calm down though.

Monk for all the stick he gets isn't a bad manager, especially at this level.  He ran out of steam at Fulham but seems to have the measure of Leeds.

if he can keep it going and get support from the nutter in chief, he could sneak Leeds into the Playoffs.

Expectations were surely based on where we finished last year and how we kick on/consolidate. There are three teams who came down who i fully expect to be in the top three. Add Brighton and Derby to this, and i thought we'd be sixth. Unfortunately many other teams appeared to have 'kicked on' more than us. I would want to know what DC's expectations were/are, but i doubt this would be less than sixth.

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

True, some fans have far too high expectations, but I think you're kidding yourself (excuse the pun) if you think we're progressing. That's the worrying thing for me, we've slipped, as others have got better, and we might find it starts to unravel, as it hasn't been built on solid foundations. It was willful in the extreme, to think we could pay scant attention to the defensive side of the game, and simply out score teams. When have we ever looked like doing that?

I don't want to see all the good work undone, and I certainly don't want to see Carlos lose his job, but believe me, that will happen unless Carlos is prepared to change tack.

Never said we are progressing we have been poor from game 3. But our first choice starting eleven, if Carlos would stick with it are more than capable to be in and around the playoffs. As i said I think for that to happen he needs to stick to a settled side. 

8 minutes ago, Mercian Owl said:

Until two games a go we had one 5 out of 8, that is top 6 knocking on top two form which our league position reflected. Because of a dip in form ( which happens to every team at some points in a season ) we only just capable of top ten? 

A couple of decent results throws us right back into the play off mix. Far to much worrying going off for this stage of the season.

Among these results we have had four games where we got last minute winners. We have looked out of sorts all season apart from a few games. I am taking the season as a whole up to now and so far, yes, we are only a top ten side. The table doesn't lie either. Ive said in the OP that we are still likely to get a play off spot, but i think there isn't much difference in terms of quality in the clubs outside of the top two and then up tp tenth place, which is why everyone cam beat everyone on their day.

36 minutes ago, kidc77 said:

Never said we are progressing we have been poor from game 3. But our first choice starting eleven, if Carlos would stick with it are more than capable to be in and around the playoffs. As i said I think for that to happen he needs to stick to a settled side. 

I'm not sure, we've pretty much had the option of fielding our strongest side for most of the season, and it's never really clicked. Personally, I think the balance is wrong, and in my opinion, we really messed up the last transfer window