Top ten side and no more..........

I think its time to just accept that we are a top ten side and no more than that, The play offs are still very likely, but we we aren't serious promotion contenders because we don't play consistently well, concede too many goals and don't score enough. We are too predictable in our play and it seems we are also lacking confidence. Carlos still doesn't know his best formation or side and changes are made too often, particularly if we have three games in a week. It seems that sides have worked out how we play and set our to stifle us and and use the counter attack. None of the new signings have stood out at all. Maybe Jones can be said to have blossomed in the last few weeks, but it seems that the new signings have done more to upset the balance of the team than to enhance it. Fletcher offers something in the build up play, but lacks goals and isn't prolific. Abdi hardly plays and when he does it is outside of his favoured position. Jones has come good in recent weeks, but again hasn't been outstanding. Reach looks promising, but has been played in a few different positions and hasn't really got into the groove yet. Buckley has hardly played and we haven't seen anything of Emanuelson, who has had one appearance on the bench so far,

Then we have Forestieri who isn't playing up to the standards of last season. Bannan is playing in a different role to last season and occasionally hits the heights, but not on a regular basis. Jack Hunt seems to be a liability at the back and offers little else. Wallace has not had the same impact as last season so far either. Pudil hasn't looked as solid as he was last season too. Then there has been a change at the back with Hutch going to centre back alongside Lees, who again this season has not been at the same standards week in week out. Although Hutch is a good centre back, maybe its had an effect on Lees, because you build up an understanding with your centre back partner and now this has changed from Loovens to Hutch. Also, we could be missing Hutch's presence just in front of the back four, because we seem to be conceding most games. Though this could be to do with general position play of both the defence and midfield and also from the wings, because both full backs look weak this season. So it seems that confidence has been lost. The new players haven't given us the lift in quality we expected and have contributed to Carlos not knowing his best side or best formation, which has resulted in some players being played out of position.

We are roughly a third of the way through the season so far and currently lay in 10th position or joint 8th if you want to put a positive slant on it, so its not time to start getting things out of proportion, but a little realism is needed as well. Carlos talks a good game with his " we are in the process ". but after signing another seven or eight players this summer and spent a fair bit of money, we are no further along from where we were for the majority of last season. So in my eyes i don't see any significant improvement. If we are serious about promotion, you can't really be losing at home to Ipswich Town. Is Carlos's position under threat ? I highly doubt it, because we are still only a third into the season and are in and around the play off places, but its not really where our fans expected us to be at this stage of the season either. Chansiri will be looking at the situation of course, but who is there to come in and do a better job right now ? In my opinion, nobody. However, having said all that, Carlos has to answer some pretty tough questions about our current form, which not for the last minute comebacks from four games this season, wouldn't look too great right now. The fans will remain behind Carlos, but performances and results will have to improve, otherwise that will change quickly. Right now, we are just a top ten side and now more.

Thoughts ?

Edited by Mick De Lyons

i thought today was awful and CC deserves all the criticism he gets tonight (though do think he is our long term answer)

Said a while ago we soon wouldnt get walk-ups. After today, Leeds, Brighton, and Burton (+ others probably) would you pay 40 quid to watch that in the freezing cold

Edited by modboy

3 minutes ago, modboy said:

i thought today was awful and CC deserves all the criticism he gets tonight (though do think he is our long term answer)

Said a while ago we soon wouldnt get walk-ups. After today, Leeds, Brighton, and Burton (+ others probably) would you pay 40 quid to watch that in the freezing cold

The fans will not be happy. We can stomach away defeats, but not home ones, especially to what most people would call an average side like Ipswich Town.

I'm glad you wrote all that mate because it saved me doing it.

Sums up my thougts perfectly and good point about walk ups. I live in Essex and with work commitments have to choose which games to come up for, what I've seen so far this season doesn't make me want to come up every other week anymore.

a finish anywhere between 6-10 place looks likely to me.

Under the current regime, yes I agree - can't see CC making any significant changes or improving us now onwards..faith has gone TBH.

Based on the quality and depth we do have, IMO a manager with a proven track record in this league would get us into the top 4-6.

Someone like Dysche would be a good option but it ain't going to happen

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

When you look at the facts which are: Played 16, won 7 lost 6, scored 17 against 19 its difficult to remain upbeat about it. More annoying is that a team who have changed their manager every 2 weeks recently (Leeds), at the moment lie above us. Can't believe it really. Sure I'll calm down though.

Edited by j-savas
error

29 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Under the current regime, yes I agree - can't see CC making any significant changes or improving us now onwards..faith has gone TBH.

Based on the quality and depth we do have, IMO a manager with a proven track record in this league would get us into the top 4-6.

Someone like Dysche would be a good option but it ain't going to happen

I agree. I can't see Carlos making us a top three side, but the problem is that there aren't any good managers out there that could do a good job in the championship.

Last seasons over achievement is hurting us badly. We are, as last season a 6th-12th side.

The disappointment and worry is that the spark and fun has gone out of the side. It's very close to it being a chore & not a pleasure to go to games again.

1 minute ago, shez owl said:

Last seasons over achievement is hurting us badly. We are, as last season a 6th-12th side.

The disappointment and worry is that the spark and fun has gone out of the side. It's very close to it being a chore & not a pleasure to go to games again.

felt that today, especially as it was so cold