Bus

Matias 

Emmanuelson 

Buckley

Dielna

Sasso

Kean 

Sougou

Thats a list of our players who for one reason or another are absolutely nowhere near our first team and/or can't get on our bench. If you really wanted to be cruel you could even add Hunt, Nuhiu and Abdi as "bit part" squad players.

How many of them would improve United? All of them? Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and remove Kean because we don't know anything about him ourselves. 

This is a club that still thinks Billy Sharp should be a quality Championship player and a few months ago handed a long term contract to Leon Clarke. 

Edited by sheffield_dave

55 minutes ago, owl1975 said:

Just been having a look on blunt mad and they have a topic about how the teams would fair if they played each other at the moment. The vast majority seem to think that they'd give us a game at the present moment in time. I personally think the gap is far bigger than they can imagine and we'd be comfortable against them 2-0, 3-0. Just wondered what people's thoughts were?

My first thought was what the fxxk are you doing on that site? My second thought was The gap is huge, however in a one off match (or even 2) especially a derby match anything can happen. We only have to look at the season 91/92 for proof. We undoubtedly had a vastly superior, more talented team than them, but they still managed to beat us twice. The quality will invariably rise to the top when it most matters though, as witnessed at Wembley in 93. In short, we are much better than them, but don't take it for granted that we would win if we happen to meet them soon.

The last 6 teams to get promoted from League One are:-

Bristol City

MK Dons

Preston

Wigan

Burton

Barnsley

The Pigs haven't yet shown themselves to be as good as any of the above were in League One.

All of the above strengthened after  promotion (MK probably didn't as they lost Alli and Grigg)

MK went down.

Bristol C struggled at the bottom.

Preston were comfortable mid table.

Wigan, Burton and Barnsley will all finish nearer the bottom than the top.

If any League One team came up and didn't strengthen they'd go straight down. The money being spent in The Champ has seriously widened the gap in the last few years.

Therefore, if they are seriously comparing the teams as they stand now they are seriously deluded.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

1 hour ago, OWL1969 said:

My first thought was what the fxxk are you doing on that site? My second thought was The gap is huge, however in a one off match (or even 2) especially a derby match anything can happen. We only have to look at the season 91/92 for proof. We undoubtedly had a vastly superior, more talented team than them, but they still managed to beat us twice. The quality will invariably rise to the top when it most matters though, as witnessed at Wembley in 93. In short, we are much better than them, but don't take it for granted that we would win if we happen to meet them soon.

in 91/92 we were both top flight teams,the gap between us now is massive,we"d stuff em

As mentioned no idea who in their team would even make our bench.

Would be interesting to see who they think would, i'm sure some would start Sharp over Hooper :ph34r:

Would love them to get promoted if we don't go up...just to give them 2 good drubbings home and away and restore order in the City of Sheffield. As much as i enjoy watching them struggle against the likes of Oldham and Chesterfield we are a different class now, could record a result for the history books if we played each other right now.

Either way there's nothing quite like the Steel City rivalry...L**ds, Rovrum and Derby matches just aren't the same.

Let's say this was an annual preseason friendly game, we would tear them a new one even with a second string side. 

In a one off cup game though as much as we are miles ahead of them I don't think it would be the walk over you'd expect. I still think we would win but maybe be a bit tighter than some think, the grunters do well in the cups remember that's the only thing they ever bang on about. 

You only have to look back to Arsenal last year, they had a number of full internationals out and regular premier league players yet we put 3 past them, cup competitions can throw up some mad results. 

Lets be honest here, there are players we would love to dispose of that would waltz into their first team, but as we all know in a one off match things don't work out like that and the underdog can prevail.

Honestly though, given how we push and pressurise combined with the skill of some of our players, do we really think a one off match, albeit a derby, would bring anything other than a massive gulf in class?   Well our neighbours think otherwise, they think they have the beating of us.   

All I can say is I hope they get promoted soon.  Let reality kick in when they realise they have a squad that isn't quite as good as Burton still

Edited by salmonbones

Guest The Horse

The only way they would beat us would be if they were totally up for it and our lot played it down / did not understand the importance of the rivalry.
If both teams played at the same level of commitment or the filth played at anything less than 100%, we would absolutely humiliate them.

They wouldn't get anywhere near us. The only possible way they could get a result against us at the moment is if they over performed and we just turned up and tossed it off. The fact that our 6th or 7th choice striker was a fairly decent coup for them in August sums the gap up really.