Sheffield Wednesday Quiz #4 - The FA Cup

23 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

lol

Just couldn't think of a team we won away at, I very nearly put Southport but wasn't sure if it was them. 

We did win away at Southport.

In addition, for future quizmasters, rather than going A1*B1*C1*D1 etc., just do =PRODUCT([range of cells you want goes here])

quiz4answers.jpg

quiz4scores.jpg

Congratulations to Neal M, pipping Kivo and Torry who I'd thought were going to fight out a two horse race for the title as the answers were coming in - although I'd argue that looking up obscure answers from the 1940s and early 50s is against the spirit of the competition, ironically Kivo and Torry cancelled each other out by duplicating 5 of their answers on questions 4-8. So Barry Horne is officially a better answer than Jackie Sewell.  Just to drive Kivo to despair, if he'd said Nuhiu for question 3 he'd have won!

To explain some of the wrong answers, Chris Lines isn't a current SWFC player, thankfully. Ronnie Whelan and Laurie Cunningham never played for Wednesday in this particular plane of reality, and Bruce Grobbelaar doesn't meet the defined criteria of being a Wednesday player because he never actually played a game for us. Chris Turner and Trevor Francis didn't win the FA Cup, and Bartman only made two sub appearances in the 1993 finals. I decided that Mark Robins should be an incorrect answer, as the question stipulates playing in a winning team - he made an appearance as a 93rd minute sub in the first game in 1990 which finished 3-3 but was only an unused sub in the replay when Man Utd actually won the cup. Unusually for two such old clubs, Wednesday and Villa have only met twice in the FA Cup, with the last time being in 1914. We've only ever beaten Newcastle once in the FA Cup, but as that was on the way to the final in 1966 they weren't in a higher division. Derby, Chelsea, and Burnley weren't in higher divisions when we beat them either (possible confusion with League Cup victories!).

There were only actually five possible correct answers for the David Hirst question, as I found out after thinking of it. Perhaps surprisingly he only actually ever scored six FA Cup goals for us, obviously the most memorable was in the 1993 final as most people have said, the others being against Everton (a game where as I recall we absolutely battered them yet lost 2-1), Middlesbrough, Blackburn and the only one which wasn't given as an answer was actually the club he scored against in two separate games, Millwall. Tommo was the only entrant with a unique answer.

For the Cup Final manager, all of the post-war Wednesday related winning managers were named apart from Jimmy Seed in 1947 (thought Kivo would have had that!). As I found out it's more difficult to look up the names of losing managers in the final but Jones and Pleat were correct answers. Although Harry Catterick was answered as the 1966 winning manager a few times, nobody went for Alan Brown who managed Wednesday in that game.

I put my own answers at the top, which I came up with before anybody entered, but I haven't included them in the scoring to avoid any accusations of shenanigans (although I reckon I'd have done quite well). Thanks to everyone who entered, some great answers amongst the high scores with 18 of 21 entrants getting at least one unique answer, and special thanks to Excel which is thankfully able to cope with bigger numbers than my calculator.

9 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i didnt look up any answers alan ....BUT   i have just read the history of sheffield football by keith farnsworth and theres a section on wednesday in the FA  cup in the 40s and 50s and thats why i could relate to that period .....

I thought maybe you were really old lol 

15 hours ago, alanharper said:

Bruce Grobbelaar doesn't meet the defined criteria of being a Wednesday player because he never actually played a game for us.

Boooooooooo! He played in a reserve game and sat on our bench a few times! What more do you want!? 

Gi' points back! #justice4bruce

:duntmatter:

Serves me right for trying to be smart.