@owlstalk

David Hirst - Francis refused Ferguson's phone calls

2E79FD1000000578-0-image-a-11_1447615016659.jpg

David Hirst (1992)

Devoid of an injured Dion Dublin and concerned at United's impotence, Ferguson faxed a £4m bid to Sheffield Wednesday in November 1992.

Ferguson had already bid for the Yorkshireman in the summer and Wednesday's resistance had only intensified.

"This time around, Trevor Francis refused to answer my phone calls and I had no alternative but to fax him, which brought a public outburst from Trevor," Ferguson recalled in his 1999 autobiography.

"I could have done without that, but at least it left me in no doubt about the futility of attempting to break Wednesday’s resistance."

United signed Eric Cantona for £1.2m instead.

• Agree 1

Amazon | Broadband | AirBnb

Yes.  Sir Alex made a right ricket there.   :laugh:

Just think- we could have got £4m for the boy wonder, and just about bought Shearer (£3.6m Saints to Blackburn mid 1992) and Cantona with it.  

Trevor Francis in Alex Ferguson favour shocker .

• Agree 2

Wonder who we'd have got If this would have been accepted. 

end of the day we rejected the bid, if Man Utd wanted him enough they could've come back with a higher bid

• Agree 2

This story has always been full of holes. Why didn't he or Martin Edwards just ring our chairman? Francis wouldn't have had the authority to buy bog rolls, never mind turn down £4.5m for an asset. 

• Agree 4

8 minutes ago, vulva said:

This story has always been full of holes. Why didn't he or Martin Edwards just ring our chairman? Francis wouldn't have had the authority to buy bog rolls, never mind turn down £4.5m for an asset. 

Think you're right - if the 'bid' was real and in November this was coinciding with Hirst starting to pick up injuries - Warhurst was playing regularly at CF for most of the winter/spring. I wonder if Man u cooled their interest from the summer.

If pigs had got wind of this they would have phoned Alex telling him to bid for Brian Deane. 

They've always loved a sale of best players. lol

• Agree 5

In hindsight we should have sold Hirst. After the 92/93 season, he wasn’t the same player again. If we had of sold him, there would have been uproar. Fair play to Francis for saying no, but ultimately it was the wrong decision.

For the record David Hirst is my all time favourite Wednesday player. A pleasure to watch him.

On 24/10/2016 at 16:44, @owlstalk said:

2E79FD1000000578-0-image-a-11_1447615016659.jpg

Don't remember Wolves having any female players...?

:unsure:

• Haha 1

On 24/10/2016 at 17:08, aeroswfc said:

Wonder who we'd have got If this would have been accepted. 

Kennet Anderson?

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

In hindsight we should have sold Hirst. After the 92/93 season, he wasn’t the same player again. If we had of sold him, there would have been uproar. Fair play to Francis for saying no, but ultimately it was the wrong decision.

For the record David Hirst is my all time favourite Wednesday player. A pleasure to watch him.

Enjoy.;-)

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Looks like Mani from the Stone Roses

Amazon | Broadband | AirBnb

Hirst goal vs Villa was the best. Incredible goal. My personal favourite was the header against Man Utd at home when we won 3-2 and Jemson got a brace. Classic header when he drifted between palliater and Bruce from worthington cross.

At least the fax machine was plugged in:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Enjoy.;-)

That Newcastle one.

• Agree 2

The game against Hull where he got four goals. One of my best memories of a Wednesday game. 

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Looks like Mani from the Stone Roses

Looks like mami from mrs brown :duntmatter:

On 24/10/2016 at 18:34, bradowl said:

If pigs had got wind of this they would have phoned Alex telling him to bid for Brian Deane. 

They've always loved a sale of best players. lol

A mate of mine is still adamant that Deane was better than Hirst.....deluded pig! Deane was a one paced cart horse with no finesse who wasn't fit to lace Hirst's boots

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

We were blessed to be able to watch him week in week out. Turning down Man u's offer was a real statement of intent about our ambition