15 minutes ago, BRADFIELDOWLS said:

Doyen bought this guy for us because they are also closely tied to Pozzo family who own Watford and Udinese.

As per contract on Footyleaks, they are paid £500 k per year basic retainer to recruit for us and are also agents to CARLOS, HIRSTY and a couple other of our players.

To be fair , we've spent about £6 million with Watford recently and FF alone is now worth £10 million.

Hope tomorrow is FF behind Fletch and Hoops so 3 -0 Owls. 

TFYI

Abdi might welll be decent,

Fact of the matter is Kieran Lee has been immense and undroppable and Dave Jones fits the type of play we had last season with Hutch/Lopez,

I feel for Abdi in a way because we have reverted our style back to what made us best last yr,

I hope he gets on tomorrow but I'd be suprised if Jones is moved out,

In a way how many chances does he need, Fair enough I understand the comments about him being out of position & I thought he was decent when he came on at Brentford and that was with 10men and he was finding passes for fun (on a small pitch) so I can see enough is there.

He needs a goal desperately - Followed by puttin one on a plate for Nando,

We was told by Watford we'd signed an Ozil in disguise - at the minute he's definitley in disguise...Just not sure what has at the min, 

I do feel sorry for the lad as he's obviously come here expecting to be accommodated in his favorite position and it just hasn't worked out like that. He's clearly a very good player based on what he's achieved at Watford. The reality is though that we're not going to change the entire way we play simply to try and get the best out of him. Good as he might be he's not that good. If he's going to be a success here he's going to have to prove that he can be flexible and perform in a range of positions. This is reasonable to expect and all our other midfielders have to do this on occasion too. When Bannan, Lee or Forestieri have to play out wide they typically do so competently even if its not their best position. It's what quality players do. 

6 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

I do feel sorry for the lad as he's obviously come here expecting to be accommodated in his favorite position and it just hasn't worked out like that. He's clearly a very good player based on what he's achieved at Watford. The reality is though that we're not going to change the entire way we play simply to try and get the best out of him. Good as he might be he's not that good. If he's going to be a success here he's going to have to prove that he can be flexible and perform in a range of positions. This is reasonable to expect and all our other midfielders have to do this on occasion too. When Bannan, Lee or Forestieri have to play out wide they typically do so competently even if its not their best position. It's what quality players do. 

CC judgement I trust ...

Guest wilyfox

I think Abdi is worth being patient for. We've seen what he can do over the years at Watford. Lee and Jones are playing well at the moment anyway, so there's no urgency. 

13 minutes ago, Dazblur said:

Abdi might welll be decent,

Fact of the matter is Kieran Lee has been immense and undroppable and Dave Jones fits the type of play we had last season with Hutch/Lopez,

I feel for Abdi in a way because we have reverted our style back to what made us best last yr,

I hope he gets on tomorrow but I'd be suprised if Jones is moved out,

In a way how many chances does he need, Fair enough I understand the comments about him being out of position & I thought he was decent when he came on at Brentford and that was with 10men and he was finding passes for fun (on a small pitch) so I can see enough is there.

He needs a goal desperately - Followed by puttin one on a plate for Nando,

We was told by Watford we'd signed an Ozil in disguise - at the minute he's definitley in disguise...Just not sure what has at the min, 

So if Lee and Jones are in pole position and Abdi's struggling what happens with Bannan who is also struggling big time?

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

So if Lee and Jones are in pole position and Abdi's struggling what happens with Bannan who is also struggling big time?

Plays wide or warms the bench.

I see Bannan as competition for Wallace, naturally drifting inside from wide areas. I understand people want him bang in the middle, but I think Jones is becoming an important component in our side: and Lee is our form player, probably first on the teamsheet at present.

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

Plays wide or warms the bench.

I see Bannan as competition for Wallace, naturally drifting inside from wide areas. I understand people want him bang in the middle, but I think Jones is becoming an important component in our side: and Lee is our form player, probably first on the teamsheet at present.

Fair comment.

3 hours ago, BRADFIELDOWLS said:

Doyen bought this guy for us because they are also closely tied to Pozzo family who own Watford and Udinese.

As per contract on Footyleaks, they are paid £500 k per year basic retainer to recruit for us and are also agents to CARLOS, HIRSTY and a couple other of our players.

To be fair , we've spent about £6 million with Watford recently and FF alone is now worth £10 million.

Hope tomorrow is FF behind Fletch and Hoops so 3 -0 Owls. 

So we pay Doyen £500k a year and they buy us £4m players, seems a good deal to me :biggrin:

Maybe the whole excuse of Abdi being out of position at times is nothing to do with his form, maybe it's just simply he isn't up to speed with exactly how we play, some players take longer than others. 

Carvalhal told The Star: “Almen is a good player. Sometimes players integrate more fast into a team than others. “Almen is a player who is taking a little more time than we expected and he expects but we are here to help the players and push them. We are here to integrate them. “I’m happy with Almen. He’s a good character and player. He has shown in the past what he can do and I’m absolutely sure he will show in the future that he’s good value to us.”

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-owls-chief-carlos-carvalhal-defends-below-par-almen-abdi-1-8192603

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

Richie,

I agree with what your suggesting and , for me, Abdi fee would have been better spent on a real giant stopper.

Would've loved that cente half Brightom got cheap from Blackburn.

11 minutes ago, BRADFIELDOWLS said:

Richie,

I agree with what your suggesting and , for me, Abdi fee would have been better spent on a real giant stopper.

It was more tongue in cheek as you said Doyen buy us players (as in with their own money) and DC pays them £500k a year for it. 

If that was the case we have a great deal with Doyen, although it was only tongue in cheek, hence the smiley face :biggrin:

:duntmatter:

6 hours ago, Pulixifer said:

AM - Almen Abdi (Sheffield Wednesday): Despite facing criticism from some, Swiss midfielder Almen Abdi has a pass success percentage of 91.1%. 

He had a 100% pass rate in one of his games and affected the game not one jot 

How many of those 91% completed passes are 2 yard passes to a team mate ?

How many affect the result of the game ? 

Yet another meaningless stat 

If someone makes 6 passes in a game 3 go astray and 3 lead to goals his pass completion would be 50% ,would you rather forfeit the goals for a 90% pass completion stat 

Edited by Lawrie Madden

Better than 2yd passes that don't go to a team mate.

Tripe we have had in recent years and people are now complaining because we have players who can pass a ball

Carlos does not yet trust Abdi.

He talks about him not integrating into the team yet but he has not yet played him in a position with clear responsibility. He does not trust him enough to give him the responsibility. 

He never plays him in our normal team shape, he always changes it to fit him in and it becomes a dogs breakfast. 

Wednesday night was another example . He played him centrally but we had so many other players in their it was totally unclear what Abdi was supposed to be doing. He could have been sat with me.

If Carlos doesn't trust him and he doesn't really fit into our normal team shape then I can see him leaving in Jan and while it would probably be right it would be a shame cos he is a talented player

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

Better than 2yd passes that don't go to a team mate.

Tripe we have had in recent years and people are now complaining because we have players who can pass a ball

Carlos does not yet trust Abdi.

He talks about him not integrating into the team yet but he has not yet played him in a position with clear responsibility. He does not trust him enough to give him the responsibility. 

He never plays him in our normal team shape, he always changes it to fit him in and it becomes a dogs breakfast. 

Wednesday night was another example . He played him centrally but we had so many other players in their it was totally unclear what Abdi was supposed to be doing. He could have been sat with me.

If Carlos doesn't trust him and he doesn't really fit into our normal team shape then I can see him leaving in Jan and while it would probably be right it would be a shame cos he is a talented player

Don't think he'll leave in January! Be ripping rest of the league a new one by then.        :stuwinky:

8 hours ago, BRADFIELDOWLS said:

Richie,

i dont think he's any better than lees and i'm sure he wouldnt be happy sat on the bench .

Controversial but if this carries on, selling him in January even for a small loss wound't be so bad.

No point in us keeping a £3million player on the bench, and even when he does play its out of position or forced to accommodate others.

I've not seen enough from him to sacrifice others to the bench, let alone to build a promotion team around like some fans are claiming on here.

it's bizarre why CC signed him though, surely he knew how Abdi plays and what he's good/bad at...and unless CC is planning some drastic shape up of our formation to directly accommodate Abdi it appears he's going to be a bench warmer for most of the season.

As previously mentioned i think he was seen as an initial 'upgrade' on Lee...but Lee has one again stepped up and been outstanding when competition for places is tough, good for us, bad for Abdi.

I'm not slating Abdi as a player, he is obviously talented and highly regarded by many Watford fans back that up. I'm sure if he could play every game as a CAM, with 2 CM's sitting behind him every game he would show us what he can do and that he is a good player. But as i mention, can't see him fitting in to CC's style of play, we have players like Fletcher, FF, Lee and Reach who are all deemed 'more important' and command starting spots now in there desired position, which leaves Abdi out of favour or out of position,

Surely him moving on and replacing him with a reliable back up for Hutchinson or a proven RM in this division would make more sense? 

Just because we have come into money doesn't mean we should waste it - doesn't fit into the team, sell him and buy someone who does.

Edited by Del_Liles