I think it's far too early to write him off and as already been said it's not that dissimilar to the Lopez situation last season and in the last couple of months or so of last season he proved to be a key player.  Abdi hasn't had it all his own way so far and he'll probably have to be patient for a little while longer but he will get a sustained opportunity at some point and then I believe he will show his class.

The bottom line is this is the second year of our push towards becoming a side that can challenge at the top end of the championship table something we had hadn't done for years before last season and as I've posted before we may have to wait a little while longer before we get to where we want to be but I do believe we are on the right track.

I really don't understand why people get baffled by signings.

The guy is quality, appears to have a good temperament and is seemingly happy to bide his time.

It'll undoubtably come. Injuries, suspensions and form will all play a part and he'll get his chance.

And he's good enough to take it.

5 minutes ago, BIG D said:

The guy is quality, appears to have a good temperament and is seemingly happy to bide his time.

It'll undoubtably come. Injuries, suspensions and form will all play a part and he'll get his chance.

This :biggrin: Agree about his temperament aswell.

25 minutes ago, BIG D said:

because on FM if a player doesn't perform they get bored with him after 15 mins

13 hours ago, Owl_in_Oz said:

Now I love CC but I'm baffled by the way he's used Abdi.

He played 33 games in the Premier League last year.  How many of our outfield players are capable of that atm?  Only 3-4 you'd think at most.

And without placing too much stock in Watford fans opinions they revered Abdi and viewed him as the central figure in their rise. 

So clearly he's got the goods.  The annoying part is that we don't know if he can replicate that here because he hasn't been given a consistent run.  

Playing him for 45 min here and there or out wide, or both, where he's clearly not suited, just isn't beneficial to the team of Abdi.  

Play him in cenral mid for 2 or 3 full games in a row.  Given his proven quality it's worth a shot as he might be one of the cogs to take us from 6th and 15 points off automatic last year into a genuine top 2 contender.

What about Bannan and Lees "proven quality"

It grips my poo this get Abdi in at any cost 

He's obviously not showing enough in training and he certainly hasn't shown anything like enough on the paddock 

If he as a player is so limited that he can only perform in one minutely specific position then maybe he's a luxury we can ill afford 

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

According to those who may know (see Doyen thread), we paid nowhere near £4 million for both Abdi and Pudil so that offers a little more context.

Maybe  we just wanted a back  up for FF in case he did one, got injured or exhausted (we rely on him far too much). 

We are one of lowest scorers in top of league and with 72% of the ball last night, you can see why we tried hard for Jordan Rhodes.

Can't wait for January.

18 hours ago, debram said:

give him a run of games in his best position, why start him away at cardiff, beats me

if you dont think he  can play a game against a team in the bottom three then when do you think we should start him.........

3 hours ago, Lawrie Madden said:

What about Bannan and Lees "proven quality"

It grips my poo this get Abdi in at any cost 

He's obviously not showing enough in training and he certainly hasn't shown anything like enough on the paddock 

If he as a player is so limited that he can only perform in one minutely specific position then maybe he's a luxury we can ill afford 

What about Abdi's proven championship and premier league quality! Think some of you need to give him a chance here, typical right em off early attitude again (Bannan springs to mind).

Anybody who went to the game last night will have seen that it was not Abdi's fault , he was playing in a team that was all over the place and started in a position , at the side of Jones ,where he was surplus to requirements really. Lee wide on the left and Wallace on the right both kept coming inside while Reach dropped back and also got involved. Abdi just had very little opportunity to influence the game.

Like most people when I saw the starting 11 I expected Abdi to be given a role further forward but the formation we started with was total nonsense. Carlos changed after about 30 mins , dropping Lee into the middle and moving Abdi further forward but it is difficult to fix it on the hoof.

If we are going to play Abdi in a 3 man midfield then they need to be given space to play in. This will never happen why we also at the same time play two "wide men" who continually come into the centre. Having 3 in the middle is enough, if we are going to play that way then get two wide men , Reach and Buckley to hug the touch lines, making runs behind the full backs and give our footballers in the middle, including Abdi space to play in.

Last night was a prime example first half of Carlos making the whole thing far too complicated. Players didn't understand what they were trying to do

1 hour ago, Andoverowl said:

What about Abdi's proven championship and premier league quality! Think some of you need to give him a chance here, typical right em off early attitude again (Bannan springs to mind).

I've written no one off my comments on Abdi have been consistent throughout 

For me he is a quality player but he has to earn the chance, either in training or when he gets the shirt, before he levers his way into the starting line up

No one is going to convince me that Abdi has shown anywhere near enough when he's played  

1 hour ago, Lawrie Madden said:

I've written no one off my comments on Abdi have been consistent throughout 

For me he is a quality player but he has to earn the chance, either in training or when he gets the shirt, before he levers his way into the starting line up

No one is going to convince me that Abdi has shown anywhere near enough when he's played  

Not directed at you just a general view on the subject.

5 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Anybody who went to the game last night will have seen that it was not Abdi's fault , he was playing in a team that was all over the place and started in a position , at the side of Jones ,where he was surplus to requirements really. Lee wide on the left and Wallace on the right both kept coming inside while Reach dropped back and also got involved. Abdi just had very little opportunity to influence the game.

Like most people when I saw the starting 11 I expected Abdi to be given a role further forward but the formation we started with was total nonsense. Carlos changed after about 30 mins , dropping Lee into the middle and moving Abdi further forward but it is difficult to fix it on the hoof.

If we are going to play Abdi in a 3 man midfield then they need to be given space to play in. This will never happen why we also at the same time play two "wide men" who continually come into the centre. Having 3 in the middle is enough, if we are going to play that way then get two wide men , Reach and Buckley to hug the touch lines, making runs behind the full backs and give our footballers in the middle, including Abdi space to play in.

Last night was a prime example first half of Carlos making the whole thing far too complicated. Players didn't understand what they were trying to do

Big fan of Carlos but I think uou make some strong points. He does overthink and over complicate.

He should trust that a simple, attacking WednesdayXl will be stronger than 20 or more teams in this division.

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

Doyen bought this guy for us because they are also closely tied to Pozzo family who own Watford and Udinese.

As per contract on Footyleaks, they are paid £500 k per year basic retainer to recruit for us and are also agents to CARLOS, HIRSTY and a couple other of our players.

To be fair , we've spent about £6 million with Watford recently and FF alone is now worth £10 million.

Hope tomorrow is FF behind Fletch and Hoops so 3 -0 Owls.