Sheffield Wednesday quiz #2

Comment on the scoring, perhaps a change for future rounds?

Surely a blank or incorrect answer should score worse than a correct one. In your example, an incorrect answer of "b" would score the same as the correct answer "e" i.e. 8. An incorrect answer should score at least "the maximum" plus 1.

2 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Comment on the scoring, perhaps a change for future rounds?

Surely a blank or incorrect answer should score worse than a correct one. In your example, an incorrect answer of "b" would score the same as the correct answer "e" i.e. 8. An incorrect answer should score at least "the maximum" plus 1.

Incorrect answers always score more than a correct one, (those rules have just been copy and pasted from the first time we did this) it usually scores the same number as the amount of participants eg if 20 of us play then an incorrect answer would score 20. Sometimes however the person running the quiz will cap the score for a wrong answer in order to give anyone with an incorrect answer a chance of still getting a decent score. 

In the last quiz there were 34 of us, I thought 34 was too high to give so capped it at 20 based on the highest scoring correct answer which was 16 in that particular game.

Everyone does it slightly differently but an incorrect answer will always score higher than any that are correct.

Edited by Whitechapel Owl

Ok, here we go.

We had 23 entrants.  I originally tried giving 23 points for all wrong answers - but the totals were insane - so I went with maximum scored on that question +1 (see Tamworth's suggestion above).

Anyway, huge congratulations to Alan Harper - well played.

Some explanations behind the answers marked as incorrect:

• Reda (France), Bougherra (France), and Ekoku (Manchester) were not born in Africa
  • Kuqi was born in Yugoslavia - not Finland
  • Dave Clements played in the U.S. long before the MLS was formed
  • Lee Chapman joined Chamois immediately after their relegation in 1988.  He only played in Ligue 2
  • Ronnie Whelan didn't play for us
  • We played Basle in the Intertoto, and Kaiserslautern in the UEFA Cup - not the Fairs Cup.
  • Surprisingly, neither Kovacevic, nor Nicol won more than 1 major European club trophy in their career
  • Harkes joined us 6 months after the 1990 World Cup
  • Petrescu was signed immediately after the 1994 World Cup
  • Carson was a late (replacement) call up to the England squad.  It happened on May 25, 2006 - so almost a month after the end of the 2005-06 season and the end of his loan period at SWFC.

Big thanks to all for playing.

Quiz - Answers.jpg

Quiz - Score.jpg

Edited by Neal M

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

So I win this week with one unique answer, after getting six last week and finishing fourth. I've queried this with NASA, Stephen Hawking and the finest brains in academia and their verdict was that it just goes to show.

Cheers Neal, that was a tough one - thought I'd blown it by being only able to think of Waddle for the Ligue 1 question, completely forgot about Fletcher being on loan at Marseille and although Stainrod was one of my answers last week I didn't know he'd played in France. Has anybody ever won this with over a million points before?!  I might do one, but this is dependent on me thinking of more questions than the four I've got so far!