Team for Udders

Right now - probably 4-2-3-1

Going forward i'd like us to get a strong CB or two and have the option of 3-5-2 (i love that system when its played well) - and yes i realise it can be defensively vulnerable but we have a wealth of ball-playing intelligent attacking options that i think we could put out an exhilarating team that i'm sure would win games and get supporters really enthused

12 minutes ago, scram said:

I think over the course of the season playing 4-4-2 will be our weakness

It means we get outnumbered centrally - and that will be a difficult deficit to overcome over the course of the amount of games we have to play

We have some very good players but we have to find a formation that fits them in - and doesn't expose us numerically

I'd have to agree with this. The crazy thing about how wedded Carlos is to 4-4-2 at the moment, is that all the early signs when he first joined were that he'd play a 4-3-3 system. I expected us to revert to that system over the summer now that Carlos had had a year to suss out English football and the players at his disposal, but it seems the lopsided 4-4-2 is here to stay.

Facing the league leaders away from home would seem the perfect opportunity to try to shore up the midfield, however...

Guest Grez Bez

Think we'll go with the below. Would rather play Hutch and Jones in a holding role with Bannan in a free role in the centre

westwood

Hunt

Hutch

lees

Pudil

Jones

Bannan

Lee

Abdi

FF

Fletcher

On 15/10/2016 at 22:52, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'd have to agree with this. The crazy thing about how wedded Carlos is to 4-4-2 at the moment, is that all the early signs when he first joined were that he'd play a 4-3-3 system. I expected us to revert to that system over the summer now that Carlos had had a year to suss out English football and the players at his disposal, but it seems the lopsided 4-4-2 is here to stay.

Facing the league leaders away from home would seem the perfect opportunity to try to shore up the midfield, however...

But couldn't the problem be the lopsided bit?

If you are going to play 442 (which I would week in week out) why compromise it by playing a lopsided 442 with a winger tucking in or a CM playing wide?

I would love to see him commit to a genuine 442 with two widemen and two CMs. Worked fantastically last year, and now we have a few better players.

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

If you are going to play 442 (which I would week in week out) why compromise it by playing a lopsided 442 with a winger tucking in or a CM playing wide?

I would love to see him commit to a genuine 442 with two widemen and two CMs. Worked fantastically last year, and now we have a few better players.

Teams that play an orthodox 4-4-2 don't get promoted - and get laughed at in the premier

4-3-3 seems to be flavour of the month - but i'd love us to have the ambition and bravery to do it

On 16/10/2016 at 00:43, scram said:

Teams that play an orthodox 4-4-2 don't get promoted - and get laughed at in the premier

4-3-3 seems to be flavour of the month - but i'd love us to have the ambition and bravery to do it

Do you think we have enough goals in our team without Hooper and Fletcher being a successful double act?

Sorry

I missed a bit of my last reply

I would like us to have the ambition and bravery to go 3-5-2 (with a strong defensive addition)

Then Hooper and Fletcher can both play - and it accomodates all our best pkayers in positions that suit

On 16/10/2016 at 00:52, scram said:

Sorry

I missed a bit of my last reply

I would like us to have the ambition and bravery to go 3-5-2 (with a strong defensive addition)

Then Hooper and Fletcher can both play - and it accomodates all our best pkayers in positions that suit

But Im sure you will agree that between now and 2nd Jan there is zero chance we can or will play 352.

So in the dozen matches between now and then, surely a genuine ambitious and brave 442 rather than the current compromise nearly but not quite 442 will reap more points?

I agree with your last para. Best players in positions that suit. So not Abdi wide or Wallace tucked in.

On 16/10/2016 at 01:04, scram said:

My opinion is in the interim we should play 4-2-3-1 - or at a push 4-3-3

As i said - teams don't get promoted playing orthodox 4-4-2 - they get overwhelmed in midfield

History shows that low scoring teams don't get promoted.  Therefore we need Fletcher, Hooper and hopefully a reinvigorated FF on the pitch.

I hope they could work as a 433, but not sure.

I am convinced that one up front - obviously Fletch - can't take us up. Nowhere near the goal count needed.

9 minutes ago, scram said:

My opinion is in the interim we should play 4-2-3-1 - or at a push 4-3-3

As i said - teams don't get promoted playing orthodox 4-4-2 - they get overwhelmed in midfield

I would love to see 3-5-2 but in the mean time I agree with you about these two formations. We have the players to make it work and he has to start utilising them soon.

Curveball but would like to see Carlos do a Conte, 352.

Westwood

Lees                         Loovens

Hutchinson

Hunt                                                              Reach

Bannan                       Lee

Abdi

FF                        Fletcher

45 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

History shows that low scoring teams don't get promoted.  Therefore we need Fletcher, Hooper and hopefully a reinvigorated FF on the pitch.

I hope they could work as a 433, but not sure.

I am convinced that one up front - obviously Fletch - can't take us up. Nowhere near the goal count needed.

I think recent history also shows orthodox 4-4-2 doesn't get promoted either

History also showed that Watford got promoted with Abdi as one of their best players

Burnley got promoted with Jones

How we cannot find room for these 2 is f*cking baffling imo

If people wanna stick with what we had last season then don't be surprised if we do similar to last season - though its a tougher division so we might have to settle for 7th or 8th rather than 6th

In the play off final, Hull out manoeuvred us with a strong central base.

- - - - - - - - Diame - - - - - -  

Huddlestone- - -Livermore

After looking at our squad and wanting to add abit of bite in the central area, I've created this team.

- - - - - - Fletcher- - - - - - 

Forestieri - Abdi - Buckley

- Hutchinson-Jones - 

Pudil-Loovens-Lees-Palmer

- - - - -Westwood- - - - 

Obviously leaves out afew fan favourites, but to me, it looks a very strong 11.

4 hours ago, scram said:

Laughed at?? Leicester won the league playing 442, whilst I don't debate that it's the best or only option it's by no way a sure fire way to lose games either. 

We have potentially the best group of players (from both a quality and quantity perspective) I remember in recent times and whilst we've not spent in line with a few teams our squad gives us many many options.

Rigid formations and rigid selections are not favorable to our squad and we need to set up accordingly be that 442, 433 4231 ..... 

i dont think you can discount any of the posibilities really and surely can't say that it can't win games, pre season and over the summer all we read was 442 won the prem and 352 succeeded at euros, 2 old school formations catching out the modern game. 

8 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I don't remember us playing with two out-and-out widemen very often last year?

Carlos seems to have struck upon this lopsided 4-4-2 with Wallace, Bannan or Forestieri tucking in last season and carried it over into this. I can understand his reason for doing so, as it allows him to establish a bit more control in the centre of the park than if he genuinely played just two in the centre, and it's a bit closer to the formation he advocated in his book.

Unfortunately, we seem to have lost our bite in the centre of the park with the loss of Lopez and Hutchinson's move to defence. I'd have thought Jones would become the lynchpin of our midfield, but this hasn't happened just yet...

With Reach as left wing back, I think we are moving towards a 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 with him playing as a winger. The issue for me is the balance on the right, and an equivalent player - I don't think Hunt or Palmer is it. We may have to look at this in the transfer market.

As mentioned, i also think we need strength in the middle of midfield with Abdi and possibly Jones taking key roles. 

I would want either Hooper or FF partnering Fletcher up top as Fletcher's win rate on headers/flick ons and lay offs from holding up is very good, and would go wasted if we had a no 10 five ten yards deeper. 

For me the key issue in a 3-5-2 formation though would be the three defenders - could we play Loovens, Lees and Hutch?