the players who nearly joined us but said no

My memory's not what it was but didn't Leighton James end up saying no because he suddenly realised we were a third division team?? Also, Mark Wright from Southampton who we tried to sign in the 80s, he said he didn't want to move up North and then a few weeks later he signed for Derby County.

On 11/10/2016 at 06:58, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yes, but we couldn't make the deal stick and he chose to take up another post. It's a shame, as he really would have pushed the envelope of defensive signings for us.

Would gave been terrible, always getting licked

4 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Tony Meola (GK) (USA)

Came over with Harkes but we only signed Harkes.

Meola signed on loan for Brighton instead. I remember seeing him on our regional ITV news a couple of times (Brighton, Gillingham and Maidstone were the teams covered) and I couldn't understand why he'd chosen Brighton over Wednesday. Brighton weren't exactly good at that time.

On 11/10/2016 at 07:30, OWL1969 said:

Other than the foreign brigade, mols, lombardo, cantona, Rivaldo etc, I seem to remember reading we had been linked with Rush while at Chester, pre Liverpool. Manager wise Houlier and Scholeri spring to mind.

Don't forget Phillipe Le Troussier which roughly translates to Phil your pants

Walter Smith was on his way to Hillsborough to take the Manager's job, but got "sidetracked". I remember the story on the back of The Star, saying he was on his way, and in the stop press of the same edition, the news that he'd just taken over at Everton. That's the luckiest escape of the lot. 

On 14/10/2016 at 09:58, torryowl said:

wyn davies ......was a hotshot bolton centre forward who alan brown tried to sign but surprise surprise the board wouldnt pay him what he wanted and he went to newcastle and became a hero to them ..........

another one from way back then was joe baker who catterick went for and again the board wouldnt weigh in with the cash which wazzed off catterick so much that he resigned went  to everton and the rest is history .

Also tried to sign Wynn Davis from Newcastle before he signed for Man City.

Wilkinson had a deal agreed for Lineker from Leicester and the board wouldn't shell out; would have been Summer 84 and a record fee of £900 000. 

Eventually HW got fed up with limited fees and dropped a division to go to Leeds. Those first two years in the top division under       

Wilkinson we overpowered lots of teams and with the right extra investment would have gone close to winning the title. I always thought Wilko's Leeds team was a vision of what he wanted to achieve at Wednesday if only we'd loosened the purse strings.

On 11/23/2016 at 19:49, Wolfmanjack said:

Walter Smith was on his way to Hillsborough to take the Manager's job, but got "sidetracked". I remember the story on the back of The Star, saying he was on his way, and in the stop press of the same edition, the news that he'd just taken over at Everton. That's the luckiest escape of the lot. 

Whilst he didn't set the Prem alight, he had a tough time at Everton - they were a mess and I remember they sold Ferguson behind his back.  Hard club to manage but at least he kept them in the Prem

I think he'd have been able to handle some of the bigger players we had at the time better than Wilson was able to..by the end though, we could have had Beckenbaur in charge and it'd have made no difference - the club was being run into the ground.