Games that Flattered to Deceive

Charlton at home in the FA cup a few years ago, winner got to play the Blades in the Quarters if memory serves. We choked and had to watch Powell doing chin ups on the cross bar as we filtered out with an all too familiar feeling. There's been some real low moments, but that one really rankled in terms of times we've not turned up. 

3 hours ago, Beany71 said:

Oldham away 1991, chance to win the league and we failed. Gutted!

We were promoted already but couldn't win the league even with a win, it was between Oldham and West Ham, we were 2-0 up and strangely enough gave away 2 penalties and lost 3-2 allowing Ron Atkinson good friend Joe Royale's Oldham to win the title if I remember correctly, then again it was 35 years ago so I may be wrong.

Edited by Owl999

1 hour ago, Owl999 said:

We were promoted already but couldn't win the league even with a win, it was between Oldham and West Ham, we were 2-0 up and strangely enough gave away 2 penalties and lost 3-2 allowing Ron Atkinson good friend Joe Royale's Oldham to win the title if I remember correctly, then again it was 35 years ago so I may be wrong.

just checked and your right, think we could have finished above Oldham but not West Ham. I remember paying an arm and a leg for a complimentary ticket outside the ground for the Oldham end.

16 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

The play off final v Hull - didn't turn up.

2nd leg of league cup semi final v Man Utd - didn't turn up.

Last game of season v Forest under Atkinson - didn't turn up

Home FA Cup QF v Coventry in 87 - didn't turn up

Home FA cup QF v Wimbledon - didn't turn up

Last game of season v Palace - not good enough

Went to all these, big games at the particular time, the losses were bad enough but the performances made them even more painful. The play off final was probably

the worst for me especially as it was such an fantastic opportunity to get back in the big time, we will still be paying for this while ever we are stuck in this league.

15 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Chelsea 4-4 league cup QF.

At half time we were flattered into believing we were well and truly on our way to Wembley. Boy were we deceived!

At half time we agreed tthat we would go on the Intercity Owl to Sunderland(?) for the next round...Might have dreamt that, as I'm not sure how we would have known who we would be playing?

:ghoulguy:

5 hours ago, Sanchez_Jenks said:

Charlton at home in the FA cup a few years ago, winner got to play the Blades in the Quarters if memory serves. We choked and had to watch Powell doing chin ups on the cross bar as we filtered out with an all too familiar feeling. There's been some real low moments, but that one really rankled in terms of times we've not turned up. 

This.

Was a dismal season anyway but winning that game could have been a massive boost for us.

We just didn't turn up, yet we still should have won considering the handball goal, Nuhiu's header probably going over the line & Best's goal bound shot being blocked by our own Giles Coke.

Hull tops that though. All that build up followed by 90 minutes of literal nothingess. I can't recall a single chance for us.

Guest Wonder Spaniel

The 3-3 draw at Pride Dark in our relegation season from The Premiership in 2000. We were 3-1 up and they somehow scored twice in injury time. Even though there was still a way to go in the season, I more or less knew that we were in big trouble that day. 

41 minutes ago, swfc4_sufc0 said:

At half time we agreed tthat we would go on the Intercity Owl to Sunderland(?) for the next round...Might have dreamt that, as I'm not sure how we would have known who we would be playing?

:ghoulguy:

The 4-4 game was a replay after drawing 1-1 at their place so it's quite possible that the draw for the next round had been made by then.

24 minutes ago, Wonder Spaniel said:

The 3-3 draw at Pride Dark in our relegation season from The Premiership in 2000. We were 3-1 up and they somehow scored twice in injury time. Even though there was still a way to go in the season, I more or less knew that we were in big trouble that day. 

Tbf we'd been in trouble since September 99 especially as Wilson kept his job for so long

sure we could have gone above west ham in 91 if they lost.

2-0 and coasting, somethings never change!

Others are losing on my 13th birthday to forest to get relegated

Hodge dropping ball in the net v arsenal in quarters lost 1-0

5-0 thrashing at home in cup v Everton, FA cup final reply , that bob booker game against grunters, palace at home, Christ been a owl its endless

Guest Wonder Spaniel
28 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Tbf we'd been in trouble since September 99 especially as Wilson kept his job for so long

Yes, you're right, it wasn't a complete shock, however, I think my somewhat blind, naive hope that we might win a game or two had kept me going until then! 

15 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

Your right, it was the 3rd replay, remember everyone (including me) crying out for Wilko to play Chamberlain, he did, dropped Madden to make way for him, shows Wilko knew better than us/me. Strangely don't remember anyone leaving at half time, despite already being 5 down. Ground would be almost empty except for away end nowadays.

I was living down South then. I went out but taped it. Came in half cut - watched the first half and my better half said sorry about the score. I went ballistic telling her she'd spoiled it - now I knew we weren't going to make a comeback in the second half. We're divorced now. 

18 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

The play off final v Hull - didn't turn up.

2nd leg of league cup semi final v Man Utd - didn't turn up.

Last game of season v Forest under Atkinson - didn't turn up

Home FA Cup QF v Coventry in 87 - didn't turn up

Home FA cup QF v Wimbledon - didn't turn up

Last game of season v Palace - not good enough

I thought we did turn up for the Forest game - first part of it anyway. We were all over them but couldn't score.

18 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

For me the most disappointing time I had as a Wednesday fan were the three Wembley visits in 93. After beating the blunts at Wembley in the FA cup semi-final (one of the best moments of being a Wednesdayite) I was so full of optimism for the final. Arsenal beat us in the league cup final but I was sure we'd do them in the FA cup final. I'd splashed out a fortune on tickets for that and we had really good seats just in front of all the players' wives. I then queued for ages on a Sunday morning to get tickets for the replay which I think was on the Thursday night back at Wembley. Looked like it was heading for penalties and we all know what happened then - gutting and a desperately sad journey back from Wembley.

The other one that springs to mind is the Forest game where we were relegated in 1990. I cried for nearly a week after that - my parents didn't know what to do with me.

I know some people will say the Wembley final last season but I missed it - I was flying to Portugal at the time. I was gutted I couldn't be there but the holiday helped to take my mind off the loss at least. It's only really this season where the enormity of that result has hit home.

There have been many rough matches that have left me feeing terrible but when you get the good times, they more than make up for the bad.

Re the '93 Wembley matches, I never felt we would win these games - our style played into their hands.  Arsenal were so dull, well organised and stifling, relying on Wright and set pieces for goals...Graham got his tactics spot on and we just didn't have the resilience or know how to get through them.  A real pity as I felt we'd have beaten Spurs, but they suffered the same fate as us - I remember their semi final game too - like us, they just got strangled out of it in the end.

Ahh the Forest game - I always felt we didn't have the belief we could win it..and we didn't, taking quite a beating 3-0 if I recall.  Terrible afternoon that one, right up in the pantheon of Wednesday disappointment.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

23 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Chelsea 4-4 league cup QF.

At half time we were flattered into believing we were well and truly on our way to Wembley. Boy were we deceived!

At half time we did a list of names for coach for semi final trip to Sunderland. :duntmatter:

5 minutes ago, MrsHall said:

Swindon, home Dec 1993....wernt kick off delayed to get everybody in? Then in true Wednesday style they shot their load and flopped under expectation....can't remember what position were at stake - was it top?

Swindon were bottom and were already written off for relegation, we were flying at time and I recall kick off being delayed, finished 3-3.

9 hours ago, Owl999 said:

Yes - I was at this match, remember it well. I think it was the previous match we threw away the chance to become champions. I think we needed to win and we drew???? Back to this match, I remember thinking we'd thrown it away after being in the lead and it was a real sickener watching the Oldham fans invade the pitch at the end of the match because they were champions. It didn't bother me that much though - we were already promoted.... in third place. Would be play offs now.