Were you there?

“I actually played in midfield that night, which is maybe why I ran the ball from inside my own half,” Humphreys says. “If you watch it now, Hirsty’s asking for the ball the whole time, and normally a young player will just give it to the senior pro, but this time I just kept going. When I got near the goal I decided to try the chip. That’s the youthfulness, that’s just playing without any fear. You’re not thinking about missing the chance and hearing the groans from the crowd. Obviously it worked out for me that night.”

Owlstalk Shop

That pre-season strike came against Utrecht, which as it happens was Van Basten’s first club. A story that did the rounds after his breakthrough suggested Johan Cruyff had witnessed this game and declared Humphreys the heir to Van Basten himself, though the truth was a little more prosaic. “It was a bit of a run from the halfway line and I scored with my right foot, which was a real rarity,” Humphreys says. “It was their open day and Van Basten had been invited back. I’m presuming a journalist said, ‘What about that Wednesday No9?’ and he politely said, ‘Oh yeah, he’s got a good future.’ I don’t think he said, ‘He’s the next Van Basten.’ Somehow it ended up with Cruyff saying I was the new Van Basten. At Hartlepool we played West Ham in the League Cup, I can’t remember the year [it was 2009], and I got asked this question about Cruyff said this and Van Basten said that. I told them exactly what I thought happened, and they didn’t print that. They printed what they wanted. It’ll be there forever now.”

Owlstalk Shop

Yes amongst the other 17k who could be bothered to turn up as Wednesday went top of the Premier League.

Don't like to miss Corrie and EastEnders on a Monday night them Wednesday fans

Yes, I was on the Kop and also at the previous 3 games that season so I saw all of Humphreys' goals (did he ever actually score for us again?) - what an atmosphere at Newcastle when our late winner put us top of the league.

Still got a photocopy somewhere of the league table after the Leicester game,  showing us 5 points clear at the top of the Premier League!  

5 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Yes amongst the other 17k who could be bothered to turn up as Wednesday went top of the Premier League.

lol

I was in my kop days then. Forgot the attendance was that low. If I remember the feel good factor going round the club at the start of the season was nt great

45 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Shows us up as relatively small time club we are

But I'm sure there a million excuses

Guest everydays_wednesday

I was there yes.....but my favourite memory of RH was when he came back to play for Hartlepool I believe. A guy at the back of me shouted to him as he took a throw 'out humphries, take that effin padded gillet off from under your shirt' !