Zero Killer Instinct

I've been saying for a while how poor we seem infront of goal. Today was the perfect example of that. From goal mouth scrambles, to missing from five or six yards, today was a game that we should not have lost.

Last season we got goals from all over the pitch. It seemed like every week we were getting the Sky Sports team of the week. This season we appear to be reluctant to pull the trigger.

We build up the play very well, but it often comes to nothing. I'm yet to see a team come to Hillsborough this season that I believe have played well enough to come away with three points.

2 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

For some reason and I'm not blaming him at all. But Fernando looks half the player of last season And Don't Know Why. Something just seems missing and can't put my finger on it.

he scored in nearly every pre-season game and Villa then went on 'strike' and has looked lost since

Guest Copthorneowl
11 minutes ago, Animis said:

Lees & Loovens must have 50% of our total possession and they can barely pass

Correction they can barely pass forward everything sideways or back, stifles our progress never catch teams on the hop too predictable

Just now, Copthorneowl said:

Correction they can barely pass forward everything sideways or back, stifles our progress never catch teams on the hop too predictable

yes - I often sit in quiet admiration of the endless 10 yards sideways balls to each other.

Guest Copthorneowl
2 minutes ago, Animis said:

yes - I often sit in quiet admiration of the endless 10 yards sideways balls to each other.

Been saying for weeks we can't get momentum if we play so slowly and either back or sideways. Loovensis worse than Lees and there's a big difference whe Hutch plays.

I still believe things will start to click sooner rather than later. When we up the tempo often other teams won't be able to follow. I'm not too worried. Automatic and play-offs are well within reach, and we haven't found our feet properly just yet. 

Getting Abdi, Reach and Forestieri going, and we're looking very dangerous. Waiting for Lees and Bannan to find top form as well. 

Guest Copthorneowl
1 minute ago, TINKERBELL said:

Want us to come out the blocks like Hamiltons Mercedes not like a fully loaded oil tanker. We've lost that high tempo we had last season and teams didn't like playing us with that. 

So true and what happened to the multi pressing which also seems to have gone south.

I fully appreciate the modern game is to keep possession and not hoof it to Layla land but we have to try and thread passes forwards or our strikers will always be marked tightly.

1 minute ago, TINKERBELL said:

Want us to come out the blocks like Hamiltons Mercedes not like a fully loaded oil tanker. We've lost that high tempo we had last season and teams didn't like playing us with that. 

I think CC is generally conservative and a tactician, believing you have 90 mins to win a game. I don't think he losses sleep at a 20 min game of chess in the first half. The problem he now has is teams are scoring first and he's provoked into doing something different which is talking too long.

When we decide to be clinical, one team will get a pasting but that's not gonna happen.

We have a lot of the ball but we don't do anything with it (59% today)

I'm yet to see us play any sort of attacking football this season, only possession based,

1 hour ago, pompeyowl said:

All season so far we've had the most possession, a high pass succession, but we just don't seem to carve out enough proper chances.

It's so frustrating.

We carved out a lot of chances today, just couldn't finish them. 

FF, Fletcher, Hooper all need to shoot more when on the edge of their box instead of laying it wide.

SWFC - Brighton

Possession 59% - 41%

Shots 23 - 5

On target 5 -3

Corners 7 - 3

Says it all. We had so much pressure but didn't make enough out of it and weren't clinical enough.

Edited by swfc-dan

18 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

That 5 minute spell in 2nd half was decent and thought we have to score because Brighton will get another chance. 

The header off the line (think it was Lees, correct me if I'm wrong) was the chance to get back in it.

We downed tools after that.

30 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

TBF our tempo in first halves for the final third of last season was non-existent.