Interesting article

8 minutes ago, Waddling Owl said:

'These boys, I can't explain it, they'd won nothing but wanted to win something'. 

Essentially describing 90% of footballers ever. You're right David, you can't explain it. As in your broadcasting career, you say something that means nothing and then sit back pretending to be wise. Famous for winning one trophy (incredibly luckily) and kerb-crawling.

I think the comment is in direct comparison to him being from another era.

He basically went with the kids at school who turn up to every training session but aren't very good.

Whilst the lads who were best at football were round the back of the bike sheds smoking.

Pleast wasn't blameless - but we were a shambles of a club at the time.

1 hour ago, slinger208b said:

Because they were past it, as he pretty much said in the article.

Do you work in media by any chance, spinning it up?..

No I have a proper job. :manager:

even if by then they were past it (Sheridan - whose game was never built on pace was 32) they were still miles better than the journeymen footballers who came in to replace them. In my opinion, Pleat was the catalyst for much of the bad times that followed in the way he took apart the team too quickly. Why we appointed him I have no idea - any Leicester fan (where he had been previously, and dismally, at the time would have told you it was a bad move, and so it proved, in my view).

1 hour ago, Arthur Bach said:

Pleats record.

15th

7th

Sacked after three months.

Someone get the pitchforks.

Do you think he should have been given more time?

The defending the season he was sacked was all over the place, conceding 5 at home to Derby, 3 at home to Leeds and 6 at Man Utd, 3 at home to Palace, 3 at Spurs and 7 (seven) at Blackburn before November!

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Do you think he should have been given more time?

The defending the season he was sacked was all over the place, conceding 5 at home to Derby, 3 at home to Leeds and 6 at Man Utd, 3 at home to Palace, 3 at Spurs and 7 (seven) at Blackburn before November!

No, just saying in the grand scheme of things his contribution was minimal when you consider what was to come.

During those days we signed

Sonner for £75,000

Scott for £100,000

and

39 year old Barry Horne on loan.

We were an absolute disgrace.

7 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

No, just saying in the grand scheme of things his contribution was minimal when you consider what was to come.

During those days we signed

Sonner for £75,000

Scott for £100,000

and

39 year old Barry Horne on loan.

We were an absolute disgrace.

Can't argue with that, most of the off-field decisions made from 1998 onwards for too many years were wrong ones.

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I daresay pleat spent more money than Atkinson. He signed Beni and Paolo whilst  Atkinson got Thome on a free and Alexanderson for a bargain. 

Danny Wilson spent the rest, but it was a lack of spending on quality that was the issue 

Not surprising Pleat spent more given he had more than 2 seasons and Atkinson had less than 1 and there's the story that Richards was never going to keep Atkinson on so wasn't going to give him a great deal to spend.

Pleat bought some decent players but we couldn't defend under him at all.

12 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not surprising Pleat spent more given he had more than 2 seasons and Atkinson had less than 1 and there's the story that Richards was never going to keep Atkinson on so wasn't going to give him a great deal to spend.

Pleat bought some decent players but we couldn't defend under him at all.

Yeah, but pleat suggested Atkinson spent all our money 

54 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Yeah, but pleat suggested Atkinson spent all our money 

Pleat has plenty to say, the majority of which is incomprehensible.

10 hours ago, Blueblood said:

Jon Newsome said they let him have the day off on defence training days. Apparently he had his way of defending and wouldn't even entertain that there could be another way 

Yeah walker was apparently like that. Just used his pace to get out of trouble and blast it into the stands with applause from the fans, and the manager tearing his hair out

8 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Yeah walker was apparently like that. Just used his pace to get out of trouble and blast it into the stands with applause from the fans, and the manager tearing his hair out

Were you at the same evening I was at lol