Interesting article

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

Pleat was crap.

Sold Darko for two bob , a year later he moves again for £15 million (about £30 in today's money) and stars in Champions League.

This article only confirms what i always thought. David Pleat is seriously the most deluded mananger ever ever ever to walk into our football club.

Pleat remembers Humphreys as “a quiet boy. What he’s achieved is a great credit to his dedication and honesty.” That Wednesday team contained a mix of “what I call fading stars” – John Sheridan (“a marvellous passer but never very quick”), Waddle (“very popular with the fans, but obviously he’d lost his ability to burst”) and Walker (“contrary”) – but Pleat credits their success to a nucleus of less decorated players, including Humphreys, Peter Atherton, Graham Hyde, Guy Whittingham and Lee Briscoe. “These boys, I can’t explain it, they’d won nothing but they wanted to win something.”

Thats the most insane paragraph ive ever read from a past manager. He then continues to have a sly dig at Big Ron for spending money.

Pleat has a huge role in our decline.

Man im so angry reading that ha ha

Reading it again it was Ritchie suggesting Ron spent money however that paragraph from Pleat is beyond words, is he actually defining his time at the cluib as success. Is he actually praising himself for replacing sheridan, hirst, bright and waddle with Briscoe, Whittingham and Hyde?????

Ultimately after one solid season - 7th in the Premier League with that side was no mean feat let's face it and better than anyone has achieved since - the job was too much for him. To be fair none of the players he released achieved anything after they left us.  A change was needed but maybe not as rapid. 

57 minutes ago, Bracknall said:

Reading it again it was Ritchie suggesting Ron spent money however that paragraph from Pleat is beyond words, is he actually defining his time at the cluib as success. Is he actually praising himself for replacing sheridan, hirst, bright and waddle with Briscoe, Whittingham and Hyde?????

No, read it again. It's definitely Pleat saying that about Ron. 

8 hours ago, enjoyyourfootball said:

About Richie but interesting for comments by Pleat on the "fading stars", Seriously, how can you rate Atherton and the like above Waddle and Sheridan....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/30/golden-goal-ritchie-humphreys-sheffield-wednesday-leicester

Because they were past it, as he pretty much said in the article.

Do you work in media by any chance, spinning it up?..

3 hours ago, ashamanic said:

Was Humpries never going to make it at the top level, or was he just pushed in too soon?

Pleat was right about his lack of pace, he seemed to lose what he did have too. I remember Paul Jewell putting him at left back against Paul Devlin in a derby game and it was horrifying how slow he was.

I put Richie in the Cademateri bracket, he was very good for a couple of seasons but some players peak even at that early age. He had a good left foot and a great attitude which gave him a long career, but I think he got at least one injury with us that hampered him.

I was 11 years old that season and I absolutely loved Humphreys. It was hirst and waddle before that, Humphreys and blinker, then Carbone and Di canio.

Edited by Bluesteel

One of Waddle's after dinner stories describes how he fell out with Pleat on the Friday, knew he was dropped, so spent the night in the Devonshire Arms and got tvvatted.

Next day we had a flu outbreak or something: Physio (barker?) called him as pleat wouldn't. Waddle came on after an hour. Verge of puking. We beat Arsenal 1-0.

7 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I know what contrary means in general but you don't get many managers describing a player as being 'contrary', certainly not heard any of Des's team mates describe him in that way. Walker had a reputation as being pretty quiet and introvert off the pitch but always focused on it. 

As for aloof, that would be a kind way to describe Pleat, the guy talks in riddles that makes Garth Crooks sound straight to the point.

Just to add to this, my Dad used to work for Sheffield Newspapers, he said other journalists would say "you'll never meet Des Walker" in reference to his reticence in speaking to the press.

Looking back I always thought Trev was the manager who started our decline, but Pleat was and still is off the planet. He talks a game, not a very good one and as some on here have suggested he failed to manage the better players. 20 years ago we were, for a very brief period, top of the Prem and ended up finishing 7th. At the time I saw it as progress after the lucky escapes from relegation in '95 and '96, but it was just the start of the era where the troubles of the club started to show.

'These boys, I can't explain it, they'd won nothing but wanted to win something'. 

Essentially describing 90% of footballers ever. You're right David, you can't explain it. As in your broadcasting career, you say something that means nothing and then sit back pretending to be wise. Famous for winning one trophy (incredibly luckily) and kerb-crawling.