Interesting article

Just now, peacock1961 said:

what a c''k Pleat was and still is.

Describes Des Walker as contrary! What the hell is that supposed to mean in football terms?

Walker, Sheridan, Hirst & Waddle all get snide comments from him. They may well have been past their peak during his spell as manager but they contributed a great deal more than he did during their time with us. I would say his overall managerial approach was further on the slide at that stage than those players were. He signed some good players but managed to wee wee most of them off and we were useless without the ball most of the time under him.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Describes Des Walker as contrary! What the hell is that supposed to mean in football terms?

Walker, Sheridan, Hirst & Waddle all get snide comments from him. They may well have been past their peak during his spell as manager but they contributed a great deal more than he did during their time with us. I would say his overall managerial approach was further on the slide at that stage than those players were. He signed some good players but managed to wee wee most of them off and we were useless without the ball most of the time under him.

When I was at uni someone mentioned Pleat's name one time and I immediately went into a rant about how much I hate the bloke, slagging him off for his time at Wednesday and how I generally dislike him as a person. My housemate then revealed that he is a good friend of her parents and they use his holiday home every year.

Oops.

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Means he could be a funny bugger. Very aloof when I met him after sponsoring his shirt one season.

Time don't half fly and change.

Hard to believe we were top of the Premier League back in the year when Wenger made his bow into English football and back in the pre-internet days of Ceefax. Humphreys seemed a right player when he burst onto the scene. Hopefully we can return to those heady heights again one day.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

8 minutes ago, adamnich said:

Sure we gave Atherton the POTY one year. Nothing spectacular as far as i remember but obviously had something about him

1994-95. He was a decent, honest professional, kind of solid, reliable player every side needs. He would hardly ever be man of the match but in his first few seasons with us he would be a 7 out of 10 steady player every game and rarely missed games due to injury.

That was a pretty poor season to be fair, Hirst out injured a lot, ditto Waddle, Bright top scorer barely in double figures. Seem to remember Guy Whittingham scoring a few but he only joined mid way through the season.

3 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Means he could be a funny bugger. Very aloof when I met him after sponsoring his shirt one season.

I know what contrary means in general but you don't get many managers describing a player as being 'contrary', certainly not heard any of Des's team mates describe him in that way. Walker had a reputation as being pretty quiet and introvert off the pitch but always focused on it. 

As for aloof, that would be a kind way to describe Pleat, the guy talks in riddles that makes Garth Crooks sound straight to the point.

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Jon Newsome said they let him have the day off on defence training days. Apparently he had his way of defending and wouldn't even entertain that there could be another way