Toronto

thoß

Off there for a week in November.  We'll be seeing all the typical sights; CN Tower, day trip to Niagara Falls, Hockey Hall of Fame, Leafs game, museums and stuff.

Anything else I'm missing? Any tips for boozing and restaurants would be much appreciated too as I'm there for my birthday!

Hi Toronto is a great place and I'm sure you'll have a great time - The Entertainment District is a good place for beers and somewhere to eat - its near where the Leafs play 

at the Rogers Centre.There is also the Distillery area which was a former Whiskey distillery and now has lots of bars and restaurants. For beers try Bar Volo - Church and Wellesley St - Beerbistro - Financial District - Bier Markt 58 the Esplanade - I always like to have a nice steak if I go to Canada/USA - Hy's Steakhouse 120 Adelaide St West is a good one IMO.

Try these links to to give you a few more ideas :

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/toronto/the-best-beer-bars-in-toronto

http://torontolife.com/category/food/

Hope this helps 

On 30 September 2016 at 16:07, Fairy Tail Owl said:

Check the raptor s if they're playing, they don't suck like the leafs

I hate basketball and I'm a big hockey fan so I'll take crappy hockey over basketball any day

20 hours ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

I went years ago and liked Gretzkys Restaurant. http://gretzkys.com/

Now idea what its like now though.

Hope that helps.

Ha, I'll take a look as I'm staying near that area.

17 hours ago, darra said:

Went a few years back. If you're planning to go up the CN Tower get there early. We got there around 9:30 and the queue was huge.

Good to know. Will check the weather close to the time and get up early the day we go. Thanks!

Edited by thoß

I was only there a few days but stayed near Kensington Market. Kind of like Camden or Haight-Ashbury I guess so there's loads of interesting places to eat/drink. To be honest it was absolutely roasting so we basically just sat in a couple of beer gardens the whole time. I liked it. 

On 03/10/2016 at 19:23, darra said:

Went a few years back. If you're planning to go up the CN Tower get there early. We got there around 9:30 and the queue was huge.

My daughter and son in law went there a couple of months ago and booked a meal in the 360 Restaurant. It's a set price (prix fixe) and includes everything general admission gets you. As they had a reservation, they went ahead of all the lines and straight to the top in a separate elevator.

Might be worth the OP checking this out. http://www.cntower.ca/en-ca/360-restaurant/reservations-and-menus.html   

We were on a coach tour of Eastern USA and Canada and included Toronto so we were taken on a tour by a local guide and had a night in Toronto in one of the local hotels (cannot remember which one)  as in one of the hotels we stopped in our room had like a board room table and could not helped sitting down and saying your fired to someone who was not there. before we headed to our next stop.

Edited by Owls_fan_since_1983

Good luck getting tickets to the hockey, they're practically impossible to get at face value without having to purchase through extortionate tourist packages.

Toronto has one of the best aquariums in the world (Ripley's) conveniently situated next to the CN tower and the Baseball stadium; better value than either, IMO.

In November, there's a nice Christmas festival/market in the old distillery/brewery district, which is also part of a booze crawl that also takes in the Steamwhistle brewery - also conveniently situated next to the aquarium, baseball, etc. 

The Amsterdam BrewHouse (also downtown/waterfront) is good for craft beers, nice food and nice view of Lake Ontario. Nearby, if the weather is right, you can also ice skate on the waterfront.

Thanks for all the tips guys, we had a great time. We stayed in an AirBnB apartment over looking Dundas Square and the views of downtown were incredible. We managed to do everything we planned and I even went to another Leafs game for less than £40 - just went to the box office day before on the off chance and bought in person. Highlights were definitely Niagara Falls, 360 Restaurant at CN Tower, Stream Whistle Brewery and the Distillery District. Really fun and friendly city.

Edited by thoß

So i'm booked for my 50th in late july this year. Give me some recommendations peeps. 

Definitely doing the CN tower 360

Off to niagra falls (should have done that from the USA side when visiting NYC)

Off to niagra on the lake. 

Going to do the aquarium 

Not interested in Hockey HOF , but fancy a hockey game 

What else should i be looking for? 

If you find a hockey game in July, post pics!

How about a Blue Jays game or the Argos (CFL). Then there's also Toronto FC for MLS.

Loads of ethnic area - Chinatown on Spadina, the Greek area along The Danforth, Korean area up Yonge, Italian district.

For the beach there's The Beaches

If you want to go up the CN tower book as the queues get very long very early or did when we were there. Be prepared for queues at Niagara for things like maid of the mist and queues where people cut in constantly. I say queues some were more like rugby rucks. Finally don't bother with the open top bus tours. Rip off. They tell you you can hop off and on. You can't because the buses are constantly full.

4 hours ago, darra said:

If you want to go up the CN tower book as the queues get very long very early or did when we were there. Be prepared for queues at Niagara for things like maid of the mist and queues where people cut in constantly. I say queues some were more like rugby rucks. Finally don't bother with the open top bus tours. Rip off. They tell you you can hop off and on. You can't because the buses are constantly full.

The subway is just as easy. It's straight forward and connects the key areas.