Out of the blocks

At the weekend we will be all but a quarter of the way into the season already. Before we started Newcastle, Norwich, and Villa were favourites, Owls, Derby and Brighten taking up the top 6 and Wolves as the Wildcard. I'd be amazed if anyone other than these take the top two. 

Its t's hard to be clear at this stage but you can fall behind. let's look at the state of play. Norwich do play Newcastle tonight but I'll assume a draw.

norwich lead the way with 21 from 10 games. 

brighten - 3

Owls - 4

newcastle -4

wolves -6

Villa - 11

Derby - 12

The real losers here are Villa and Derby - it's a slog to make up such a large number of points. The rest is as you were for me. 

a shout out to Udders (who won't keep up this pace but have a top 6 to aim for). Bristol City could well join in the party too. 

well done Wednesday - massive games coming up. 

tbh don't really agree  the quality and squad size of Villa and derby could still pay off 

what works in this and in any division really is consistency almost any team in this league could put together a run that will shoot them into the top positions, it's more likely as suspensions and injuries deplete lesser squads  so I still half expect those 2 to be in there at the end 

I also expect hudders and barnsley to drop away, but who knows  we just have to keep our heads down and like last night according to some that went win ugly  - prefer that to losing matches like Birmingham it still makes me uneasy how we threw those points away 

31 minutes ago, steelowl said:

I also expect hudders and barnsley to drop away, but who knows  

Be interesting to see.

Barnsley's aim at the start of the season would have simply been to stay up, their good start has given them a chance to make life a lot more comfortable and do more than just survive, maybe even finish somewhere in the middle, but can't see them being any higher.

Hudders on the other hand might hang around, personally I think they'll end up a bit like Ipswich or Birmingham last year, keeping up with the pace for a bit but end up finishing about 9th, which I'd imagine they'd have taken at the start.

Can see Derby still pushing for a top 6 spot. Opposite of the last couple of seasons where they have done their best to throw their chance of promotion away. This season can see them rallying and coming good after their poor start (that is presuming Pearson goes)

I think even if Villa don't do that well up until January their lunatic chairman will just throw millions at it anyway.

Something needs to be done about parachutes, either make it fair with FFP so you can't just use them to balance the books or get rid of them altogether, clubs who come down are simply not good enough for the PL and it was their fault they got relegated, meaning they should be made to sell their assets (good players remaining in the squad) to keep within the rules, I don't know any other type of business where you get rewarded for failure.

I don't know anything about football in regards to financing so I don't even know if these suggestions are even feasible, but even I can tell that this is unsustainable, somethings got to give, and it will soon.