Fair play to Carlos

Im a huge Carlos fan but I went tonight and it was grim. We could have conceded, the offside goal was 50 50. They were simply terrible. We chose not to attack second half. Ok against a decent side but I dont see why we are sitting back against crap.

4 minutes ago, Warnocchio said:

Im a huge Carlos fan but I went tonight and it was grim. We could have conceded, the offside goal was 50 50. They were simply terrible. We chose not to attack second half. Ok against a decent side but I dont see why we are sitting back against crap.

It did sound as if we let them come at us, but hopefully the clean sheet will get us a bit more confidence at the back. We have seemed a bit jittery.

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

It did sound as if we let them come at us, but hopefully the clean sheet will get us a bit more confidence at the back. We have seemed a bit jittery.

Mostly it was very controlled. Not too many jitters but very defensive. Ive never seen us shut up shop like that for 45 mins under CC. Still, its 3pts and we wont care if it gets us up.

I agree it's unusual, but I doubt the plan was to not hit them on the counter. It just sounded like we couldn't manage it until the end! 

I think any side that chooses to do nothing other than defend for 45 mins will have some very close calls or concede, but given that we looked so open in recent away games, it was a probably a sensible change of approach, particularly as we are still failing to kill the game.

31 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I agree it's unusual, but I doubt the plan was to not hit them on the counter. It just sounded like we couldn't manage it until the end! 

I think any side that chooses to do nothing other than defend for 45 mins will have some very close calls or concede, but given that we looked so open in recent away games, it was a probably a sensible change of approach, particularly as we are still failing to kill the game.

Quite, when we've taken a more attacking approach, it hasn't exactly led to us running away with a game. Something is still not right with the way we set up to attack. Sides with lesser attacking options than us, seem to come away with the 4-0 wins, whereas we are just as likely to concede, as score. Have we beaten anyone by more than one goal?

9 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

All true. We havent really got the pace to counter attack without FF on the pitch though. 

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not really seen him stretch his legs, but isn't Buckley reasonably quick?

He didnt ryn with the ball tonight that i can remeber. BUT.....Twice in the first half he made really dangerous runs in behind. We were that obsessed with posession that he wasnt played in.Hope he doesnt stop making them.

Have no qualms with us going a bit more defensive and pragmatic to get an away win. 

This is a tough division and sometimes you just need to grind out a win. 

A few too many times last season we dropped points away from home. If tightening things up a bit changes that then so be it. 

Perhaps the overly cautious approach once we went in front tonight may have been influenced a little by what happened at Birmingham.

Whilst i agree that it was frustrating to see them not going after a Blackburn side who we were clearly superior to after going in front, i think Carlos is much more wary of teams countering us this season. Its been demostrated a few times as our weakness this season already and i think teams now set up to try to exploit that much more than they did last year. Particularly since weve changed the role of the deep lying midfielder from a primarily defensive one (Hutchinson) to a more attack focussed one (Bannan).

Ive got a feeling we wont be seeing quite as many goals (for us at least) this year.

Didn't go tonight but listened and was having a sneaky peak at the Blackburn boards after – consensus there seemed to be that we didn't look thrilling, but dangerous going forward and defended very sponge-like, soaked everything up and continually asked questions of their attacking play that they just weren't equipped to answer.

If we can chuck a big soggy blanket over teams playing at their home grounds then that's chuffing brilliant; I don't want to be the 'total football' side who can't win without 25k fans behind them. Happy to be boring as heck away, as long as we nose ourselves over the line. garymegson

Edited by Mr. Tom

I think most of us have said at some point that we just can't go through a championship season playing expansive football and expect to go up.

It sounded last night that we opted to keep possession rather than get on the front foot and were prepared to defend grittily when we had to.

After 10 games we're 3 points off what most see as promotion form and I don't think we've been anywhere near our best yet which suggests we're already a better team than last season.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

10 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We had two forwards on all night. That is really important. We have to have a goal threat, and the ability to keep the ball up the field.

Have a look at the stats page that Bluesteel put the link up for and tell me again that we had two forwards on all night which gave us the ability to keep the ball up field.....we'd have been better off with 10 men rather than bringing on a sub who gave them the ball more often than he retained it.

Was there last night and to be honest was bored out my mind . 1 goal up , no problems from them we could have pressed home and got another couple of goals without breaking sweat ,they were so bad . 2nd half they came at us a bit more and we could have been looking at a draw but for a friendly linesman . Point is we are more than capable of tonking sides like this without having to shut the windows draught stopper and all .