New SWFC stadium wishlist

On 27/09/2016 at 13:33, F. Spiksley said:

Better parking facilities

Other than sci fi like beaming thee stadium we love somewhere else  I see parking as a fault we have, 

I doubt in anyone's imagination when it was built they envisaged so many cars 

as most people walked or arrived by tram and bus 

It's ok for those that live round the corner, but some have to find somewhere to park after a 1 - 4 hr drive 

big opportunity to buy the land opposite was missed I think it was available  

I'd try to expand the hillsborough park  car park 

I wouldn’t move. I would:

- remove the posts from the Kop 

- create concourse areas on the Kop 

- improve concourse areas on the North Stand 

- build a completely new Leppings Lane stand but for Home fans

- create an area in the South Stand for away fans

- create open air smoking areas on all stands to stop smoking in the bogs

- build a Wednesday Village on the triangular plot of land between Herries Road, Herries Road North and Penistone Road (the Wednesdayite Car Park plus all of the other land there - Charlie Brown’s, Bramall’s Gold Room, Hiram Wild’s, etc). The Wednesday Village would be like Centertainment but with a massive multi-storey car park. 

Edited by shandypants

1 hour ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

View up towards 5 ways arches if they demolished the North stand.

27 minutes ago, shandypants said:

All of the scroats would grab a freebie and watch the game from the top of the hill while the rest of us would pay through our noses. 

h3hiwhkowbqo4iitlbrz.jpg

True - but it's a high-risk strategy which would probably attract bronze membership from the club. It could be packaged as the 'Rorke's Drift' members area - there's a hundred or so already on the waiting list below:

Image result for fans watching football match on hill, trees from outside the ground

On 27/09/2016 at 13:21, Ellis Rimmer said:

Just a bit of fun

• Where is it?                                                      Manvers
  • How big is it?                                                   30,000 big enough
  • What does it look like?                                     A can of tuna
  • What is it called?                                              Bernard

Hillsborough as it is now just doesn't provide what a 21st century club needs.  Things like seats that you can actually sit in if your over 5ft tall,  views without posts in the way, toilets with hot running water!

As much as i love the ground, a move will have to happen at some point either temporarily while hillsborough is rebuilt or permanently to another site.

Any new ground needs to generate income 7 days per week, 365 days per year,  be low cost and energy efficient but also retain the character of a british ground.  

4 stands,  modern facilities,  retain some of the historical design points of the existing ground.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mike84 said:

Hillsborough as it is now just doesn't provide what a 21st century club needs.  Things like seats that you can actually sit in if your over 5ft tall,  views without posts in the way, toilets with hot running water!

As much as i love the ground, a move will have to happen at some point either temporarily while hillsborough is rebuilt or permanently to another site.

Any new ground needs to generate income 7 days per week, 365 days per year,  be low cost and energy efficient but also retain the character of a british ground.  

4 stands,  modern facilities,  retain some of the historical design points of the existing ground.

defo agree with this

17 minutes ago, mike84 said:

This will be the overwhelming major factor in a better location for a new ground should it hopefully happen. The area of Hillsborough and Owlerton aint exactly the mecca of entertainment and a first choice destination for people besides the game. We missed our chance with the chunk of vacant land at Meadowhell, it's gone now...

1 minute ago, steveger said:

This will be the overwhelming major factor in a better location for a new ground should it hopefully happen. The area of Hillsborough and Owlerton aint exactly the mecca of entertainment and a first choice destination for people besides the game. We missed our chance with the chunk of vacant land at Meadowhell, it's gone now...

You've hit the nail right on the head there.We now need to start planning for our eventual move away from Hillsborough ( 10/15 Years ) and hopefully remove some of the unwanted  baggage ie 15/04/1989.

Guest Grez Bez

I'd rather stay and redevelop but see Neepsend as a great opportunity for both Wednesday and Sheffield as a city.

There are talks to add passenger tram-trains to the line that runs from Midland to Stockbridge.

This could open up the old Wadsley Bridge station for matchdays (incidentally it also goes via Neepsend/ Kelham which could be opened if we moved)

2 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

I'd rather stay and redevelop but see Neepsend as a great opportunity for both Wednesday and Sheffield as a city.

There are talks to add passenger tram-trains to the line that runs from Midland to Stockbridge.

This could open up the old Wadsley Bridge station for matchdays (incidentally it also goes via Neepsend/ Kelham which could be opened if we moved)

I could live with that as a location.  Sooner stay where we are though.

Rather than a wish list think what needs to be looked at is how feasible is this to achieve and what are the drivers for updating to a more modern stadium.

Somebody asked why fans do not attend regularly to Hillsborough. If you travel a fair distance to ground to getting away from ground after game takes an age. If you have 3 hour drive you can add 45 minutes it takes to get out of Sheffield. If travel by train needs to be smoother connection from train station to ground. Stories of cars being broken into illustrates point of better more secure parking being necessary.

The cost of running Hillsborough is ridiculously high. If built on an area liable to flooding the insurance is very high especially if you have had a flood. The other income possible from ground is very low I believe even Rotherham earns more than we do from use of facilities. 

If you redevelop ground how is this done? If you close ground where are games held whilst ground is closed, what impact would this have on form of team. The financial impact of renting another ground whilst having reduced attendances would be severe.

If done piecemeal one side per year. This would have even worse impact on finances as probably could not get in all current season ticket holders. Health and Safety does not allow you to get away with much these days so you could see some of south and North stands being cordoned off if working on west stand etc. Then there is loss of atmosphere in a 3 sided ground. Cost of administration moving folks around stadium.

Because of nature of it being flood plain special measures would have to be taken if rebuilding the stadium which would effectively escalate costs far in excess of just building a stadium.

If this had been easy it would have been done before now 

I think a much larger training ground is first option to be addressed if we get promoted.

If we stayed in Premiership I am certain we would move to a new stadium and it would be on a different site as problems to overcome with present one are too difficult. It would have to have better road access and car parking than current one and offer potential for development in respect of food outlets. If to be used for world cup, international games think better motorway access and possibly public transport links are also required.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Quist said:

If you travel a fair distance to ground to getting away from ground after game takes an age. If you have 3 hour drive you can add 45 minutes it takes to get out of Sheffield

Some will always have a fair distance to travel, no matter where the ground is.

Car parking is a problem at every ground in the country new and old.

Public transport needs to be vastly improved, that is the only solution.

All big cities have the exact same problem.

On 27/09/2016 at 13:31, Ellis Rimmer said:

Why do you think other clubs have built new grounds then? anyway we digress, I want to hear proposals not protests

Man City. Southampton, Brighton, Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham, Derby and many others were filling their outdated stadiums most weeks and needed to expand.  We have a 39,800 capacity home(in theory) and we haven't averaged over 30,000 since 1968.  

We don't need a bigger ground.  We would for a few years if we were in the Prem, admittedly.

Darlington and Coventry are two clubs who dropped almighty clangers by moving to grounds which were ridiculously big.  Commercially we could use Hillsboro better.

I'd like to see the North stand built outwards at the back, so it resembles the South stand.  The clubshop and booking office would be incorporated into it, as per Strafford's World cup plan.

West stand looks a mess, but unless the police,SAG allow home fans in it, what's the point spending good money on it.

Kop facilities are archaic but some folk like the rustic look.  I preferred standing out in the rain when I was young and daft.

The North stand/Kop corner could be joined up to get another 1500 under cover.   Straffords WC plan for the West stand was superb, but realistically will probably never happen.

31 minutes ago, ozzieowl said:

Not sure if I’ve missed owt. Has it been said we having new stadium??

anyway big plot of land on shepcot lane. Think it’s big enough. Next to M1 which is good but traffic n parking may be a problem. 

B6CA0F5E-C0FD-455E-AD9D-17B268FBA59C.png

That's going to be industrial units soon

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/development-planned-for-former-steelworks-site-1-9262171