Sign in to follow this  
Mick De Lyons

A much needed three points..............but

And Reach isn't a fullback. Decent winger would tear him a new one. He should be given clear instructions to play wide left, and every time he gets chance try and land it on Fletchers  head. 

3 minutes ago, Mick De Lyons said:

All that is true, but i don' think the recruitment has been brilliant. I think we needed another quality centre back for a start and as you say, we have a few too many flair players in the side at the moment.

what quality centre back could we sign to be back up to hutch and lees ?.......

7 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

We got out of jail again today. We were poor again in the first half playing with no tempo. A lot of our players first touch is back to our goal and many have to have 3 or 4 touches before playing a pass that could have been played a lot quicker. I feel sorry for Reach playing out of position and at times it showed as they skipped past him with ease. I look forward to when he is playing in his natural position further up the pitch where he has already shown some encouraging signs.

I agree with this and i'm sure once Pudil and Urby are fit and ready, Reach will play on that left flank.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I don't know all the names, but i feel that we should be able to sign a quality centre back, but we chose to spend the money elsewhere after Carlos decided to play Hutch as a centre back. Maybe that was partly down to a consideration that Hutch would benefit in terms of his long term injuries and also to do with not going above the FFP levels, because Carlos wanted to strengthen in other areas.

38 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I think the idea would have been to sign someone better

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

In this league other teams will always know your weaknesses and plan to play on them.

Especially things like set pieces.

Last years promoted teams, especially Burnley, were the ones with fewer weaknesses. 

We we need to be more clinical, missing too many chances, we could have been out of sight most games.

We are OK against teams like Norwich, passing teams, but need to show we can stand up to the Birmingham's of this league.

This is why i feel that Carlos ought to alter the style of play at times. Playing a flair style of football in every game is not the right approach as far as i'm concerned, because as you say, we can play the open style of football against certain sides, but not others who maybe have lesser qualities. 

1 minute ago, Mick De Lyons said:

I don't know all the names, but i feel that we should be able to sign a quality centre back, but we chose to spend the money elsewhere after Carlos decided to play Hutch as a centre back. Maybe that was partly down to a consideration that Hutch would benefit in terms of his long term injuries and also to do with not going above the FFP levels, because Carlos wanted to strengthen in other areas.

i think is was fully down to hutch being the best centre back we have ......he's different class at centre back and we certainly couldnt afford to sign anyone better than him

12 minutes ago, vulva said:

And Reach isn't a fullback. Decent winger would tear him a new one. He should be given clear instructions to play wide left, and every time he gets chance try and land it on Fletchers  head. 

Listen to CC's interview. Has no intention to play him LB, but hand is forced at the mo due to Pudils injury. 

46 minutes ago, vulva said:

We are far too open for a promotion winning side. Flair will not get you promotion. We are getting away with it at the minute as we are playing bottom half teams.  

Did you see Villa v Newcastle....wide open.

• Disagree 1

CC knew he had to sign two left backs at the end of last season. Pudil was one but the other has taken time to bring in and has not been seen anywhere near the team on match day. Our recruitment has been poor and the expectations after last season were high. We have not dominated a game so far this season being comfortably winning as the game draws to a conclusion. Credit though to the players for keeping going until the end barring the Birmingham game.

1 minute ago, Howl38 said:

Did you see Villa v Newcastle....wide open.

No. But Villa won't go up, and Newcastle have got about £900m to spend so maybe they can afford to be a bit adventurous. 

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i think is was fully down to hutch being the best centre back we have ......he's different class at centre back and we certainly couldnt afford to sign anyone better than him

I wouldn't say he was the best centre back we have. I think that is Tom Lees, when he is on form. Hutch is a quality player and he can play at centre back, though i personally would have liked to have seen him remain in the position and for us to sign a new centre back. There is a dearth of really good centre backs and a quality centre back would cost a lot of money in today's transfer market. I think its obvious that Carlos prefers a Lees / Hutch partnership to one with Loovens.

4 minutes ago, newbster said:

Merely stating yes there is always a but...today's is but we won

We did, but i highlight some factors that will maybe make it more difficult to do that if we carry on with the issues highlighted :-)

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

CC knew he had to sign two left backs at the end of last season. Pudil was one but the other has taken time to bring in and has not been seen anywhere near the team on match day. Our recruitment has been poor and the expectations after last season were high. We have not dominated a game so far this season being comfortably winning as the game draws to a conclusion. Credit though to the players for keeping going until the end barring the Birmingham game.

True.

30 minutes ago, Mick De Lyons said:

I wouldn't say he was the best centre back we have. I think that is Tom Lees, when he is on form. Hutch is a quality player and he can play at centre back, though i personally would have liked to have seen him remain in the position and for us to sign a new centre back. There is a dearth of really good centre backs and a quality centre back would cost a lot of money in today's transfer market. I think its obvious that Carlos prefers a Lees / Hutch partnership to one with Loovens.

I think if we were prepared to go to £4m for Hanley, then there was no way he'd just be back up. So I think Carlos also thought we needed a commanding centre back, but after losing out, realised there was no one else about.

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

No. But Villa won't go up, and Newcastle have got about £900m to spend so maybe they can afford to be a bit adventurous. 

That's what i was thinking Vulva.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I think if we were prepared to go to £4m for Hanley, then there was no way he'd just be back up. So I think Carlos also thought we needed a commanding centre back, but after losing out, realised there was no one else about.

This is very likely Gurujuan.