Mafia 3

Chris_B_SWFC

Mafia 1 and 2 were made by Illusion Softworks/2k Czech a now sadly defunct developer who made some (in my humble opinion) outstanding games:

Hidden & Dangerous

Vietcong

Mafia

Hidden & Dangerous 2

Vietcong 2

Mafia 2

Top Spin 4

(with a few DLC/addons in between).

Sadly 2k in their wisdom decided to close down the Prague/Brno studios after 15 years of outstanding game development and thus Mafia 3 is nothing to do with the original 1/2 (I know from personal experience how upsetting it is to see your IP taken away and bastardised by cuntsack publishers, Cockmunchers/Codemasters for us)

That stuff aside, Mafia 1was a brilliant game, 2nd one was a decent game let down by being very linear and focused purely on the story missions as there were virtually no side missions. Mafia 3 does look superb, visuals look solid, who doesn't love the soundtrack? And hopefully it's a good mix of interesting story missions, good shooting/driving mechanics and a lot of fun and interesting side missions (that part I'm not really sure of at this point), probably will buy it for PC once I know how much gameplay there is, if it's just 12 hours of story with no sides I'll just wait for a big sale.

On 24 September 2016 at 10:56, Grimbarian said:

Mafia 1 and 2 were made by Illusion Softworks/2k Czech a now sadly defunct developer who made some (in my humble opinion) outstanding games:

Hidden & Dangerous

Vietcong

Mafia

Hidden & Dangerous 2

Vietcong 2

Mafia 2

Top Spin 4

(with a few DLC/addons in between).

Sadly 2k in their wisdom decided to close down the Prague/Brno studios after 15 years of outstanding game development and thus Mafia 3 is nothing to do with the original 1/2 (I know from personal experience how upsetting it is to see your IP taken away and bastardised by cuntsack publishers, Cockmunchers/Codemasters for us)

That stuff aside, Mafia 1was a brilliant game, 2nd one was a decent game let down by being very linear and focused purely on the story missions as there were virtually no side missions. Mafia 3 does look superb, visuals look solid, who doesn't love the soundtrack? And hopefully it's a good mix of interesting story missions, good shooting/driving mechanics and a lot of fun and interesting side missions (that part I'm not really sure of at this point), probably will buy it for PC once I know how much gameplay there is, if it's just 12 hours of story with no sides I'll just wait for a big sale.

Hidden and Dangerous was great, really hard though!

25 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Hidden and Dangerous was great, really hard though!

Yes extremely tough but very rewarding once you figured out the good strategy to do something, I loved that it was so open in that you could accomplish your goals in any way you wanted, no linearity or forced to blow this or that up or whatever, I also loved the voice acting, when you ordered your men to follow you he'd yell "follow" or "follow meee" in very clipped military English that would crack me up, I'd keep telling my guys to follow me over and over just to hear it, I was a weird teenager!

35 minutes ago, Grimbarian said:

Yes extremely tough but very rewarding once you figured out the good strategy to do something, I loved that it was so open in that you could accomplish your goals in any way you wanted, no linearity or forced to blow this or that up or whatever, I also loved the voice acting, when you ordered your men to follow you he'd yell "follow" or "follow meee" in very clipped military English that would crack me up, I'd keep telling my guys to follow me over and over just to hear it, I was a weird teenager!

I liked the different team members and their different skills, named wilf Mountbatten or something.

I remember the first mission was to secure a bridge. Always used to have a sniper take the guards out through the mist as the train went past.

The story for the first few hours is magnificent. Love the presentation and the way they have framed the story.

The gameplay does get a little repetitive after a while though - like, Assasins Creed repetative. Taking over portions of the city in the same ways, setting up wiretaps, interrogating people, etc.

Enjoyable though!

And that soundtrack.... fantastic.

Jesus... this game.

A massively promising first few hours, a genuinely engaging story.

Then the game happens. It is basically THE. SAME. MISSION. REPEATED. OVER. AND. OVER. AND. OVER. Then when you do everything in one district, you HAVE. TO. DO. IT. AGAIN. TO. TAKE. OVER. THE. DISTRICT. Then you move to the next district to DO. THE. SAME. AGAIN. OVER. AND. OVER. My god.

It gets so boring and repetitive. I'm about half way through (I assume) and am finding it a real struggle and slog. I've tried playing different ways; run-and-gun, stealthy action, finding different paths through places just to mix it up. It's just.... boring.

And it runs crap. So, so buggy. I've had major pop-in issues. I've had assets and textures not even want to load at all. I've had doors just spinning wildly to the point you cannot enter a building because the door smacks you out of the way each time. I've had dead enemies blocking each other's path and your path to progress. I've had mission markers not spawn. I've had frame drops. It all gets worse the longer you play it too - after a couple of hours in a session it just loads what it wants when it wants and bogs up your system. It is running my PS4 stupidly hot and has even done a hard-crash on me with the fans sounding like they are preparing to launch my PS4 across the room.

As I said in a previous post, the soundtrack is excellent - but it too suffers the same problem - its bloody repetitive. I'm actually bored of the tracks now, which is a shame because they are excellent tracks, there are just too few and with only three radio stations to switch between you can't really mix it up. It's like having Hallam FM 60s on all day when you are driving around. This game might just have ruined Paint it Black and House of the Rising Sun for me and I'll never forgive it for that.

If you play, do yourself a favour. Don't bother with the wire-taps and don't bother with the ripped-off-from-many-other-games-and-totally-unnecessary-here 'listening' mode to outline enemies. It makes it far, far too easy. You know where the enemies are and just walk through the game with no challenge or game elements whatsoever if you use it. It also takes away any kind of fun or challenge to exploring the city for collectibles. It's a little thing to make it just a little more enjoyable for the period you can tolerate the repetitive gameplay, but it is well worth forgetting that stuff exists.

Also, don't be tempted to do the easy thing in smaller enemy arena areas to just hide and keep whistling each enemy over to the same spot over and over again and building up a pile of bodies by one single doorway - its a travesty of game design that this is even possible, but it is! I've finished areas in early gameplay without moving from one spot and just getting them all to come to me for the next brutal kill animation and it sucks any kind of enjoyment out of this damn game.

Jesus... this game...