Gary Shelton

23 hours ago, rawowl said:

Dont be daft I have no reason to doubt you.

it's easy to do in this modern internet multi media age.

i genuinely am interested how fans in London gave it large to Geordies before the day of a game back in the mid 80s.

Sorry, only just seen this.

I can only assume it was rumour, counter rumour and went on from there.

That's how things worked in those days, no internet but word still got out somehow.

I suppose it only takes one West Ham fan to ring a mate of his who happened to live in Gateshead and discuss how West Ham were taking more away than usual and were going to give it a bit of a go and the rumour spreads from there. I once went on some business convention (way after this, but before the internet) and people were there from all over the country. I palled up with this Middlesboro fan, we kept in touch and when we played them he invited us to go to this working men's club he used which was packed to the rafters with Boro fans. We walked in and the entire place stood up and took the p**s but then applauded us as we walked the full length of the club to the bar at the front end. 

No great relevance to this 'debate', but just to show that because you may happen to live in London, Leeds, Sheffield, wherever, it doesn't mean to say you have absolutely NO contact with someone who may live 200 miles away, especially within the football fraternity. Reps moved around from city to city, people gossip, rumours start etc etc.

The internet has made us lazier, but the notion that people were so insular in those days, to the extent that word wouldn't get out about 2000 cockneys invading Geordie land for a ruck is a strange one. 

To be honest the point of the West Ham fans 'shouting the odds' before the event or whatever i said, wasn't really the point of the post.

Someone mentioned the hassle they encountered at St James's and i merely wondered if it was the same game that i had seen 'that message' scrawled on the wall and tried to explain the background to what had maybe caused it.

On 22/09/2016 at 08:32, bigthinrob said:

There you go then must have made it all up!!!

How did anything at all ever happen before the 'Internet'.

No other forms of communication whatsoever in those days other than 2 tin cans and a bit of string!!!

Don't forget the 

Jungle drums. 

I remember my dad (RIP) nearly got us killed when Shelton scored at Newcastle.

We were 2 of only 200 that had seats in their main stand, and after telling me to keep quiet all game, the ball hits the net and shoves past me into the aisle, turns and faces the Newcastle fans and shouts " Thats us up you Geordie B*****ds"............cue mayhem  lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

My favourite Wednesday player from that mid-80s team together with Banno. What an attitude he had - non-stop running and tackling. He was the first returning player I saw get clapped off the pitch when he came back with Oxford. 

Those were my favourite two players too

Owlstalk Shop

My Favourite ever Wednesday player , fantastic work rate and attitude. Great tackler and scored a few. Those were the times when boozing in town you would see a group of players , he was always the first to come across to talk to the fans.

1 of my favourite 3 players of all time. Such a good work rate and NEVER shirked a challenge, always got stuck in.

I always remember him playing Brian Robson off the park at Hillsborough in 1985 and his overhead kick in the 1-0 victory in 1984 at Newcastle (bloody scary leaving the ground).

the man utd victory on new years day 1985 is still one of my enjoyable days out, we were sat in the side stand with the Wednesday fans to our right, we kept quiet when Varadi scored his first but jumped up and down when we saved man utds penalty, then went barmy when Varadi bulleted the header in to the top corner from a corner. Enjoyable days

On 21/09/2016 at 14:23, bigthinrob said:

Not sure if it was the same game, have been up to St James's a few times over the years, but it was bloody scary if it was that game. 

West Ham had played up there a week or so before and had been shouting the odds prior to the match what they were going to do. (in a hooligan context).

Scrawled all over the wall inside the ground, was a testament to West ham's failed attempt to sort the Geordie's out.

"West Ham tried & West Ham Fried" in reference to  a couple of petrol bombs lobbed over the wall into the West Ham fans.

Any pre match, billy big bollo**s bravado evaporated rather quickly.

The Geordies were all chanting Roast Ham- I used to live right by the ground as a student, a dangerous place indeed

3 hours ago, Beast of Boulogne said:

Mick Hoole from High Green with the light blue Pringle . 
he’d broke his arm earlier , gone to first aid and placed at the side of the net to watch the game ! Can’t see that happening now! 

C93241B2-63DD-4641-ACDF-447C1F31B2D2.png

If you can look at that clip again and see another lad wearing a light blue pringle climbing up the fence...that's me. :biggrin:

• Like 1

On 21/09/2016 at 21:26, Bulldog said:

Was this the same game where we were 2:0 up, they got it back to 2:2 and Shelton's was the late winner??

No mate. We won 1 0 with a late winner.