Gary Shelton

1 hour ago, Pelokaad said:

Use to live on end of our estate my missus used to be firends with his, always had time to talk and have a laugh, Pat Heard used to live just up road as well nice bloke too.

Top player remember him getting some stick and giving it back from Brian Robson and Remi Moses at Old Trafford one new years day match. Imre Varadi scored a couple in great away win.

My favourite ever match, but never seen the goals since.

Would love to unearth a video but pretty sure there are none.

Wednesday legend and loved him as a kid. His awesome work rate epitomised the team at the time.

Big Jack bought from Villa as I recall in 82 in what has to be one the best £50,000 we ever spent. One or two have made Kieran Lee comparisons already and I think that’s fair and a massive compliment to Kieran. The picture of his goal in front of the Kop at Anfield is one of my favourites and was just iconic of that tireless team Wilko built.

In my top 3 players for sheer commitment and tireless running along with Carlton Palmer and Paul Williams. Kieran Lee is probably as good as anything in that respect after those three.

Top man Shelts!

5 hours ago, OasisOwl72 said:

Wednesday legend and loved him as a kid. His awesome work rate epitomised the team at the time.

Big Jack bought from Villa as I recall in 82 in what has to be one the best £50,000 we ever spent. One or two have made Kieran Lee comparisons already and I think that’s fair and a massive compliment to Kieran. The picture of his goal in front of the Kop at Anfield is one of my favourites and was just iconic of that tireless team Wilko built.

In my top 3 players for sheer commitment and tireless running along with Carlton Palmer and Paul Williams. Kieran Lee is probably as good as anything in that respect after those three.

Top man Shelts!

More or less nailed it there.  Awesome player.

8 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

There you go then must have made it all up!!!

How did anything at all ever happen before the 'Internet'.

No other forms of communication whatsoever in those days other than 2 tin cans and a bit of string!!!

Dont be daft I have no reason to doubt you.

it's easy to do in this modern internet multi media age.

i genuinely am interested how fans in London gave it large to Geordies before the day of a game back in the mid 80s.

6 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

Phones still existed you know. I know it occurred as I have read about it in a West Ham fans book. Didn't know it was just before we played em, but definitely seems feasible, as it was around that time.

Apologies 

If it's in a West Ham book it must be true.

6 hours ago, rawowl said:

Apologies

If it's in a West Ham book it must be true.

Just out of interest did you go to any away games, in the 70/80s? If you did I'm sure you would believe what Robs saying without question. If not you would have no idea what used to go on (quite regularly) in them days.

Guest white kanu

Top player was gutted when he left. Never knew whether he asked to go or if he was let go but the late eighties decline started when he left

6 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

Just out of interest did you go to any away games, in the 70/80s? If you did I'm sure you would believe what Robs saying without question. If not you would have no idea what used to go on (quite regularly) in them days.

Of course I knew what went on AT games in the 70s/80s. I was a kid in the 80s so didn't go away much.

I want "Rob" to expand on his comment about how West Ham fans were giving it the big un in the build up to the game.

this interests me how this was done back then.

23 hours ago, Holmowl said:

My favourite ever match, but never seen the goals since.

Would love to unearth a video but pretty sure there are none.

I dont think there is any film of that New Year match Vs Man Utd, my memory apart from  2 Varadi goals is all Wednesdayites waving godbye and singing Happy New Year to the Mancs as they were leaving in droves with  10 minutes to go. Great Day!!

1 hour ago, Pelokaad said:

I dont think there is any film of that New Year match Vs Man Utd, my memory apart from  2 Varadi goals is all Wednesdayites waving godbye and singing Happy New Year to the Mancs as they were leaving in droves with  10 minutes to go. Great Day!!

I also remember the noise when Hughes equalised.

Upto that point I had been feeling pretty cocky. But then they scored, and the noise all around us made me think "What the Farouk was that?"

Fantastic signing by Big Jack.

That Wednesday team from about 1982 to 1986 was a great team to watch. We were too inconsistent to start with but when HW came in in the summer of 1983 he brought a fresh approach to the team and it was perfect for the players we had. It wasn't, perhaps, football for the purist and is a million miles away from what we play now but, boy, did it bring results and it was bloody exciting to watch. We simply battered teams into submission.

Shelton with his tremendous work rate was an essential part of that. Couldn't believe it when we sold him; Oxford United I think it was though to be fair they were a First Division club then!