Gary Shelton

4 minutes ago, Sheza91 said:

Brilliant player

used to live in Stannington and after home  games came to the post office to buy the green un. Scored at Anfield I seem to remember, could have been the game Varadi scored when Grobalar had a nightmare and ran out of his area to the edge of the pitch. 

My first experience of a great midfield player, good tackler, passer, shot, box to box to allow megson to mince around the midfield looking to take all the free kicks

That was the game.

I went into a bookies on the way to the match, wrote out a bet for nil-two, then told myself not to be so effing stupid and threw it away.

Cant remember the odds, but given that I was utterly potless at that time the memory still pains.

48 minutes ago, Sheza91 said:

Brilliant player

used to live in Stannington and after home  games came to the post office to buy the green un. Scored at Anfield I seem to remember, could have been the game Varadi scored when Grobalar had a nightmare and ran out of his area to the edge of the pitch. 

My first experience of a great midfield player, good tackler, passer, shot, box to box to allow megson to mince around the midfield looking to take all the free kicks

His best attribute was when we had a corner....he'd hang about outside the box and if it got cleared he would ping it back out to the corner taker, with pinpoint accuracy, often on the volley

17 minutes ago, Ian said:

His best attribute was when we had a corner....he'd hang about outside the box and if it got cleared he would ping it back out to the corner taker, with pinpoint accuracy, often on the volley

As opposed to Andy Blair, who would ping it, with pinpoint accuracy, a yard wide and a yard over the goals, often on the volley.

9 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

Not sure if it was the same game, have been up to St James's a few times over the years, but it was bloody scary if it was that game. 

West Ham had played up there a week or so before and had been shouting the odds prior to the match what they were going to do. (in a hooligan context).

Scrawled all over the wall inside the ground, was a testament to West ham's failed attempt to sort the Geordie's out.

"West Ham tried & West Ham Fried" in reference to  a couple of petrol bombs lobbed over the wall into the West Ham fans.

Any pre match, billy big bollo**s bravado evaporated rather quickly.

Without the internet how did West Ham shout the odds prior to the match ? Clubcall ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, paddyowl said:

Great player, always remember him score a last minute equalizer @ WBA to make it 2-2 and our second @ Anfield in 1984.

If Lee scored a few more he would be a good comparison to GS.  

Shelton 18 goals in 198 matches ( 1 in 11)

John Sheridan 25 in 199 (1 in 8)

Carlton Palmer 14 in 205 (1 in 15)

Kieran Lee 12 in 85 since the start on the 2014/15 season (1 in 7)

I think had we signed Kieran for £4 mil in the Chansiri era we would all rave about him as a Wednesday god.

Your WBA match was one of my earliest away games. It was the day Garry Thompson murdered us, until Varadi and Shelts scored late. On the back of that devastatingly good performance we bought Thompson......oh dear.

1 hour ago, rawowl said:

Without the internet how did West Ham shout the odds prior to the match ? Clubcall ?

There you go then must have made it all up!!!

How did anything at all ever happen before the 'Internet'.

No other forms of communication whatsoever in those days other than 2 tin cans and a bit of string!!!

• Haha 1

Guest Deleted member
1 hour ago, Mickjj said:

Here you go enjoy the memories

Amazing moment. I was 18.

On the way back to the station some idiot Geordie rolled a wooden cable drum off the top of one of the high buildings onto wednesday fans below.

Scary

Use to live on end of our estate my missus used to be firends with his, always had time to talk and have a laugh, Pat Heard used to live just up road as well nice bloke too.

Top player remember him getting some stick and giving it back from Brian Robson and Remi Moses at Old Trafford one new years day match. Imre Varadi scored a couple in great away win.

4 hours ago, rawowl said:

Phones still existed you know. I know it occurred as I have read about it in a West Ham fans book. Didn't know it was just before we played em, but definitely seems feasible, as it was around that time.

14 hours ago, Grandad said:

I was right behind the goal when he scored that overhead kick

Felt like we were stood on railway sleepers

Only kid in my school who supported Wednesday and school football club tour in the North East included a game at St James's. It was my first Wednesday away game. Sat in the home end with my Wednesday gloves on, hands hidden firmly in pockets.

Getting mugged by a skinhead in Witley Bay for my 2 quid arcade money didn't even come close to spoiling the experience.

lol