Gary Shelton

12 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

Midfield dynamo, would run himself into the ground not dissimilar to Kieran Lee.

12 minutes ago, aeroswfc said:

Gary Shelton Wednesday legend

Gary Shelton's Wednesday record

Apps 241

Goals 24

Very similar goals-to-game ratio too: Lee - Apps 149, Goals 15

Guest everydays_wednesday
28 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

My second favourite short shorts wearer after Andy Blair.

Never forget being at Newcastle away on a school trip in the Newcastle stand and he scored a scruffy overhead kick winner.

Legend.

Was at the game in the away end. Got bricks thrown at us in the away end as we were locked in at full time, then the coaches were bricked!!!

great days though.

2 minutes ago, everydays_wednesday said:

Was at the game in the away end. Got bricks thrown at us in the away end as we were locked in at full time, then the coaches were bricked!!!

great days though.

Not sure if it was the same game, have been up to St James's a few times over the years, but it was bloody scary if it was that game. 

West Ham had played up there a week or so before and had been shouting the odds prior to the match what they were going to do. (in a hooligan context).

Scrawled all over the wall inside the ground, was a testament to West ham's failed attempt to sort the Geordie's out.

"West Ham tried & West Ham Fried" in reference to  a couple of petrol bombs lobbed over the wall into the West Ham fans.

Any pre match, billy big bollo**s bravado evaporated rather quickly.

44 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

My second favourite short shorts wearer after Andy Blair.

Never forget being at Newcastle away on a school trip in the Newcastle stand and he scored a scruffy overhead kick winner.

Legend.

Was this the same game where we were 2:0 up, they got it back to 2:2 and Shelton's was the late winner??

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

I was right behind the goal when he scored that overhead kick

Felt like we were stood on railway sleepers

Me too with a mate of mine.

Great goal from Stretch....and a memorable win in that season that had so many highlights...

Brilliant player

used to live in Stannington and after home  games came to the post office to buy the green un. Scored at Anfield I seem to remember, could have been the game Varadi scored when Grobalar had a nightmare and ran out of his area to the edge of the pitch. 

My first experience of a great midfield player, good tackler, passer, shot, box to box to allow megson to mince around the midfield looking to take all the free kicks