Whelmometer - where is your whelm?

On the presumption that whelms of >5 are for over-performing, whelms of <5 are for under-performing, and I reckon we're probably in about the right place considering our spending in the summer (combined wages and fees, we looked to about 6-7th in spending power) I'm currently at 5. 

Next year, with paying a lot for JR and Newcastle and Brighton presumably gone, I'd expect the playoffs to be easily secured and maybe even challenge for the autos.

I don't think it's going to be our season. 

It's weird, but the team hasn't really ever got going despite amassing a decent points total so far. 

As things stand the only team who may drop out of the top 6 are Derby and since McClaren took over their form has been by and large very good. 

Wednesday have had a great chance since the boxing day win to kick on and cement our play as a promotion contender. Instead we've hit a wall and in the last two weeks thrown away a 5pt lead over the chasing pack and now find ourselves outside the play offs. 

So with that in mind I give myself a 4 on the whelm scale. 

On a a scale of 1-10.

Transfer Activity: 8/9

Team Performance/League Position: 5/6

After last season I knew Chansiri would put more money in & look to make us even stronger & try & get us closer to the top 2. I guessed he'd invest around £5-10m on transfer fees.

For me he's gone way beyond what I expected. Signing players like Abdi & Fletcher showed real inent. Then to go & break the transfer record on Reach & bring in proven Championship quality in Jones, you'd have to say on paper we've made the right moves. Some of these signings haven't as yet quite worked which is why I'm left slightly underwhelmed at our performances & position in the table but there is still time for them to work. Bringing in Rhodes wasn't something I thought we'd stretch to & still can't believe it.

I'm not someone that was expecting us to be challenging for the automatics after last seasons exploits like some. I do feel we are capable of it, however this league is very competative & unpredictable.

I felt at the start of this season we were capable of making a challenge for the top 2 but I felt expecting it wasn't realistic. Teams with parachute money have too much financial power for us to realistically expect to compete. Finishing in the top 6 would be more realistic & achievable & it looks like thats as good as we'll get this season. Hopefully we can go one better in the play offs. So as far as team performance & league position I think we could & should be slightly better.

I'm a big fan of Carvalhal but it now has to be said he has as stronger squad as there is in this division & cementing a play off spot has to be the minimum aim. If we fail to reach them then I think he'll be in trouble. Although I feel thus far some players have let him down by not performing to the level they were last season & some new signings not quite living up to expectation.

If we make the playoffs & fail to go up then next season we really should be aiming to push for the top 2 or at least be in contention. 

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

dinosaur football .. you cant just send em out and tell em to score more than the other team , you have to keep your shape ,play thru the quarterback find the man that's in the hole and most importantly be patient and  stick the one chance you create away.

hopefully that's tongue in cheek WTF:

Fox looks a good signing. If he settles in properly I think we might see Pudil relegated to understudy. We will be a better team because of Fox

Winnall, great bit of business. I wasn't convinced he was stronger than what we have but he has scored plenty for Barnsley, he was cheap, good luck to him

Rhodes, Never thought we would sign anyone with his record. A sign of intent. Let's hope he hit's the ground running.

Season so far, OK, we are there or there abouts which is encouraging but we haven't found our stride yet. It must be a deliberate change of strategy, fine if it works but I don't think we will go up this year. Still possible that we will but I reckon we will fail in the play offs.

Next year is our year. Avoid any tantrums at the start of the season, a couple of players to strengthen us and a good start and we should do it.

I'm positive about the direction of travel after signing Fox and Rhodes so definitely a whelm factor 8. Before the window it was a 7 minus.

I really find it hard to believe some of the Whelm scores around these parts - makes you wonder why the owners of those low whelms still go to the matches, if I was whelming so lowly I would be spending my £650 ST money on finding something to give me much higher whelm ratings.

I am currently at 9 due to recent signings and the fact that we are still going in the right direction.

Be like Spookone Whelm highly lol

I am currenly a whelm farmer ploughing a furrow over at Whelm Acres, a small freeholding in census-designated Whelmvale. It lies in a semi-rural tract of upstate Whelm County, but has reasonable transport links to the more bustling metropolitan hub of downtown Whelm City.

Renowned local attractions include the immaculately relaid gardens of the historical city fortress, the vast stripe hangars where some of the world's boldest and best quality stripes are being stored for imminent future use, the local diner CC's (which has just revamped its Wednesday menu with some exciting dishes), and of course the 50ft golden statue of the mayor currently under construction. Notable residents include a fairly large group of remarkably high profile individuals that even five years ago would never have been attracted to the locale, but who are now flocking here in droves citing our reinvigorated potential. Indeed, the area has enjoyed a fairly rapid rise in profile over the past couple of years, thanks in part to the mayor pumping unprecedented quantities of investment capital into the local infrastructure. This has of course resulted in a slightly frustrating increase in roadworks in the short-term, but looks set to really put us on the map going forward. (A handful of the more cantankerous residents keep going on about how much faster and better one or two of the neighbouring towns have built, but we let them have five minutes here and there – it's a democracy after all, plus it keeps them from wandering into traffic.)

This weather this year has been somewhat mixed compared to last year's heatwave, but most folk feel it'll all go towards a bumper whelm harvest in the end.