JEREMY HELAN RETIRES TO DEVOTE HIMSELF TO RELIGION

Guest Deleted member

I'd rather be a bigot than a racist - appears to be the view of some of the idiots posting in this thread

Stop hiding behind definitions. Your intolerance makes you a idiot

Up to him I guess. Personally it's not summat I'd do but each to their own. 

On a wider note, if he had 3 years left on his contract and did this, only to return to football in a year by signing for another team would he be on a free or would we have some recourse to compensation? I'm assuming we keep his registration til his contract runs out or summat. 

6 hours ago, Neal M said:

The deleted posts were certainly bigoted - which like racism is against the terms and conditions of this site.  

"Bigot: noun

a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions."

Virtually every thread on Owlstalk extending more than a few posts descends into bigotry. Perhaps the "bigotry" reference should be re-drafted, or the site policed better to remove all bigoted posts, not just the racist ones.

-----------------------

Good luck, Jeremy.

Follow your heart. Respect for finding something better than money and modest celebrity.

You'll go in the memory bank with the likes of Wade Small and Etiene Esajas. It didn't work out how we hoped, but you gave your all. 

21 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Up to him I guess. Personally it's not summat I'd do but each to their own. 

On a wider note, if he had 3 years left on his contract and did this, only to return to football in a year by signing for another team would he be on a free or would we have some recourse to compensation? I'm assuming we keep his registration til his contract runs out or summat. 

Similar things have happened before.

The club can keep the player's registration (as a condition of allowing him to leave) or just cancel the contract, making him a free agent.

Good luck to him, better to do it now than regret it later. Always felt sorry for him that as he was obviously against gambling the club never provided him a shirt without the sky bet arm patches and he always had to cover it up with tape that would be falling off within about 10 minutes, I'm not a Muslim obviously but I think gambling advertising has reached ridiculous levels and shouldn't be a sponsorship of a sport so watched by children.

11 hours ago, Donny.Owl said:

Don't understand why we can't poke fun at religion though?

Why is it off limit?

Bizzare statement. 

youre saying we should be able to poke fun at a persons religion or religion in general.  

How about someone's sexuality ?

or someone's disability ?

would you poke fun out of them ? 

Our Father who art in heaven

Carlos be his name

Thy free kicks come, hopefully a Goal will be done,

On the field as it is in heaven Give us this day our matchday thread.

And forgive us our fouls, As we forgive those who score against us.

And lead us not into offside, But deliver us from penalties.

For thine city is ours, the power and the glory. Wednesday til I die.

UTO

Edited by theandybooth

7 minutes ago, ANDY said:

Bizzare statement. 

youre saying we should be able to poke fun at a persons religion or religion in general.  

Yours is even more bizzare the list you provided is examples of actual issues which can be shown to exist.

There is not any evidence of the supernatural, if we are to take religion seriously then all the myths of other so called  gods should be taken seriously.  If someone was to claim that Zesus was the god, he would be ridiculed, but his belief is as strong as any other religous believer. Would you give the Zesus beliver the same credance as a christian or muslim believer? 

Thought it was a wind up when someone text me about Helan last night.

But I say good luck to him and slightly refreshing after recent events with certain players getting face on because £30k per week is not on enough that someone is giving it all up to follow their calling.

Also I think I don't think any subject is above being made fun off it depends how it is done.

13 minutes ago, Holmes said:

Yours is even more bizzare the list you provided is examples of actual issues which can be shown to exist.

There is not any evidence of the supernatural, if we are to take religion seriously then all the myths of other so called  gods should be taken seriously.  If someone was to claim that Zesus was the god, he would be ridiculed, but his belief is as strong as any other religous believer. Would you give the Zesus beliver the same credance as a christian or muslim believer? 

I would respect his/her/their right to follow whichever religion they choose.  I wouldn't ridicule them for it.  

Each to their own an that eh ? 

2 minutes ago, ANDY said:

I would respect his/her/their right to follow whichever religion they choose.  I wouldn't ridicule them for it.  

Each to their own an that eh ? 

Each to their own I agree, the trouble is with religion is that it poisons everything it touches. 

I wish Helan well and hope that he can influence for the good but I doubt it.  Just wish he was going to university to learn instead.

1 hour ago, ANDY said:

Bizzare statement. 

Completely different. 

Religion in an idea. A ideology  

The other 2 examples are physical.

It'd more accurate to compare religion to someone's politics for example.

If someone has an opinion or point of you that you find silly then why can't you say so?

1 hour ago, Grimbarian said:

Good luck to him, better to do it now than regret it later. Always felt sorry for him that as he was obviously against gambling the club never provided him a shirt without the sky bet arm patches and he always had to cover it up with tape that would be falling off within about 10 minutes, I'm not a Muslim obviously but I think gambling advertising has reached ridiculous levels and shouldn't be a sponsorship of a sport so watched by children.

Feel sorry for him? the man's been able to retire aged 24 due to money in the game, lots of it coming from gambling

3 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

Completely different. 

Religion in an idea. A ideology  

The other 2 examples are physical.

It'd more accurate to compare religion to someone's politics for example.

If someone has an opinion or point of you that you find silly then why can't you say so?

Religion to those who believe it is real and physical. 

Im not religious in any way shape or form, but I won't mock those that are. 

7 minutes ago, ANDY said:

Religion to those who believe it is real and physical. 

Im not religious in any way shape or form, but I won't mock those that are. 

It's not physical it's a choice and it's a way of life, an ideology that can effect others too,  it has influence at the highest levels in some countries, it causes tribalism, war and worse. It definitely doesn't deserve special treatment any more than someone who's a committed Nazi.

It's not all bad granted but giving it a free pass makes no sense.