JEREMY HELAN RETIRES TO DEVOTE HIMSELF TO RELIGION

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

You did no such thing. 

It looked like you were trying to defend some of the pathetic racist remarks that were filling up this thread earlier today. 

Somewhat confused.

You said, quote "Some people are Racist idiots"

I responded by showing the example of the Minnesota stabbings as Racism running both ways.

You pulled me on it and i said quote,  "Just a bit of perspective".

So when i repeat that i said it was "Just a bit of perspective & to put it into context", how can you then say "You did no such thing" in reference to it?

As for defending some of the 'pathetic racist remarks that were filling up this thread earlier', i hadn't even read the earlier posts and you will notice i made no comment prior to your 'Racist Idiots' quote, which i thought deserved a response. 

Let's leave it there shall we, you and others made their points of view and myself & others made ours.

Basically, all i did was report a news item that had massive relevance to your quote regarding racism. Anyone who doesn't see the irony of having a pop at 'racists' on here and not seeing the parallel of someone choosing who gets stabbed and who doesn't, based on their religion, is, as the owner of this site proudly proclaims 'Thick'.

Ps. Doesn't mind the traffic the debate produced however.

4 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Because you can , indeed, prove a negative.

I'll take your word for it. My point stands though.

The burden of proof is on those making the claim and saying "you can't prove God (is this case) doesn't exsist", doesn't mean that by default that he does.

4 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

I'll take your word for it. My point stands though.

The burden of proof is on those making the claim and saying "you can't prove God (is this case) doesn't exsist", doesn't mean that by default that he does.

Donny, you're all over the shop in this post. Double negatives everywhere here. There can be no default position in the existence of god, because that is notional. There can be no burden of proof for that reason alone.

1 minute ago, meadowview owl said:

People saying, what's he going to do for money? Well it may not just be a personal choice but a vocational one aswell and maybe he is going to train to be an imman or some other profession linked to islam?  Whatever, Good luck to him 

Apparently he is heading to Saudi Arabia, so I'd imagine he'll be doing some sort of enlightenment out there.

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Donny, you're all over the shop in this post. Double negatives everywhere here. There can be no default position in the existence of god, because that is notional. There can be no burden of proof for that reason alone.

Where's the double negative?

Anyway stop trying to be clever.  People think God is real, not an idea, an actul real being; and to them, the fact that we can't prove otherwise is some kind of proof that it's true. 

That is nonsense.

1 minute ago, Donny.Owl said:

Where's the double negative?

Anyway stop trying to be clever.  People think God is real, not an idea, an actul real being; and to them, the fact that we can't prove otherwise is some kind of proof that it's true. 

That is nonsense.

But I am clever Donny. The religious types have faith. Faith, as you know is a belief system. Because this is a thread about Helan, I'll put it this way- he believes that God rules his life. I don't believe that God rules my life and I can prove it.

9 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

But I am clever Donny. The religious types have faith. Faith, as you know is a belief system. Because this is a thread about Helan, I'll put it this way- he believes that God rules his life. I don't believe that God rules my life and I can prove it.

Not as clever as you think or you'd know that my post was in response to someone saying "prove there is not one" in reply to another poster saying God isn't real.

He never mentioned proof of faith or proof that God rules Helen's life. That didn't enter into it. You're just trying to twist it to prove your point.

God was labelled as a "fictional being" by one poster.

Then that poster was challenged to "prove there isn't one".

Sure you're clever enough to follow that?

Not the idea. The being.

All I did was simplify this quote:

"Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake. If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes.

But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense.

If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time."

5 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

Not as clever as you think or you'd know that my post was in response to someone saying "prove there is not one" in reply to another poster saying God isn't real.

He never mentioned proof of faith or proof that God rules Helen's life. That didn't enter into it. You're just trying to twist it to prove your point.

God was labelled as a "fictional being" by one poster.

Then that poster was challenged to "prove there isn't one".

Sure you're clever enough to follow that?

Not the idea. The being.

All I did was simplify this quote:

"Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake. If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes.

But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense.

If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time."

Crikey! 

43 minutes ago, steveger said:

No one did...

See my previous post.

Hiding behind definitions of "racism" is a smokescreen.

The deleted posts were certainly bigoted - which like racism is against the terms and conditions of this site.  

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

7 hours ago, meadowview owl said:

People saying, what's he going to do for money? Well it may not just be a personal choice but a vocational one aswell and maybe he is going to train to be an imman or some other profession linked to islam?  Whatever, Good luck to him 

David Bowies widow ?