JEREMY HELAN RETIRES TO DEVOTE HIMSELF TO RELIGION

Just now, bigthinrob said:

Quote :- "Some people are racist idiots" earlier in the thread.

As i said also earlier in the thread, just putting the comment into perspective and some sort of context.

Prior to that i hadn't made any comment on ole Jezza's new calling whatsoever!

But you're not putting the comment into perspective or context. You're just going on about some lunatic killing people in a thread about Jeremy Helan retiring.

4 minutes ago, Wolfmanjack said:

Peter Knowles (brother of Cyril), who had a far better football career than Helan could ever dream of, did the same thing many years ago. If their faith, whatever it is, means more to them than a cushy number as a footballer, more power to them. Helan could've carried on stealing wages for years, but he hasn't and I wish him all the best. 

If a football club decides you are worth paying for, are you stealing a wage?

Wednesday played him 145 times.   YES we did this not having anything better, but still 145 times?    Wolves too thought he had merit.

The term "stealing a wage" is not appropriate.

Quite possibly, this kid might be needing some kind of psychiatric help which is my personal first thought.    Some kids his age turn to drugs, others may just turn to other radical idea.   Lets hope this is not a truly radical idea, just some kind of awakening of what he has been brought up to believe.

All the best to the guy, always came across as a good pro.

when we signed him everyone was pleased and he's played his part in our resurgence. 

Always did a job when called on latterly to try and see games out.

not as bad as a lot on here will have you believe. 

2 minutes ago, steveger said:

I thought Helan wasn't as bad as some made out on the pitch, Man City must have seen something when they discovered him, he's way better than Dielna and Sougou

Always thought he was ok when we needed something a bit different (don't laugh), when we needed to kill a game and he could rampage down the wing and take the pressure off. 

Good luck to him but as Salmonbones predicts, i bet he'll be back quicker than Cat Stevens after 2 name changes and a reduced bank balance.

Also, has anyone seen Manwithastick recently? He is obviously around with his negging finger in full throttle, but seems a bit lacking on the old actual debate front!!  

24 minutes ago, Wolfmanjack said:

Peter Knowles (brother of Cyril), who had a far better football career than Helan could ever dream of, did the same thing many years ago. If their faith, whatever it is, means more to them than a cushy number as a footballer, more power to them. Helan could've carried on stealing wages for years, but he hasn't and I wish him all the best. 

It was big story at the time. 1970 - he suddenly became a Jehovas Witness and he was on the verge of finally playing for England.

Another one who "gave it all up" was Stan Collymore, for different reasons, obviously.

All the best to him IMO.

5 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Can he just retire like that?  Is he not under contract?

He is under contract but you can't really force someone to keep playing - be almost akin to a form of slavery otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

It was big story at the time. 1970 - he suddenly became a Jehovas Witness and he was on the verge of finally playing for England.

Another one who "gave it all up" was Stan Collymore, for different reasons, obviously.

All the best to him IMO.

Yep, good luck for the future Stan!

:wacko:

44 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

I will dip my hand in early and say this - I give it 18 months before he finds football again.

I'm not suggesting his wish to follow his religion is not real, but let him see his bank balance dip, reality hit and then realise he has a (forgive the non intended pun) god given talent that any of us on this forum would have given their eye teeth for and possibly have done more with.

If his beliefs are strong enough at this point I don't think money will be an issue for him. People who devote their lives to it choose to go without in many cases.

I think at one stage or another the vast majority of us have been in a job we've neither liked or felt was serving a purpose.

I've got the utmost respect for the guy for making this decision and hope it gives him true purpose in his life to make him happy as well as others he helps.

The guy has never stolen a wage from Sheffield Wednesday and has served the club to the best of his ability regardless of any personal opinions.

Good luck Jezza!

12 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Can he just retire like that?  Is he not under contract?

I think his contract is up at end of this season anyway. Contract will be 'ended by mutual consent'. Doubt he will get his contract payed as it's his choice. 

Don't think they will make him stay if his head/heart isn't in it. 

1 hour ago, Maddogbob said:

Do we really have to debate the rights and wrongs of some bloody religion. Because one of our players has decided to retire and follow a different path in life?

Best of luck to him.

Ashamed to be associated with this club and it's "fans" at times. Why can't people just take it at face value. Wish him the best and we crack on with the football.

Same reaction if he decided to go and really get into Catholicism?

I think not.

Spanish inquisition?

Not seen the posts people are referring to so can't comment on those. 

Don't understand why we can't poke fun at religion though?

Why is it off limit?

People should be protected, ideas can be ridiculed. 

Anyway yeah good luck to him. If he finds happiness in his chosen path then he's one up on me. Well two up if he's got the cash to live comfortably too. 

Edited by Donny.Owl

1 minute ago, Donny.Owl said:

Don't understand why we can't poke fun at religion though?

Why is it off limit?

There's a HUGE difference between poking fun at a religion and out and out racism

Racism isn't tolerated on Owlstalk and never will be. It's a disgusting side to humanity that needs stamping out

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

There's a HUGE difference between poking fun at a religion and out and out racism

Racism isn't tolerated on Owlstalk and never will be. It's a disgusting side to humanity that needs stamping out

As I said.  Didn't see the deleted posts I've seen mentioned. Yeah racism is out of order.

Don't even see how they linked this with his race? 

There's "poking fun" at religion, and there's deliberately lumping all Muslims together as radical terrorists.

That's an insult to Helan. And an insult to Muslim members of Owlstalk.

There's absolutely no need for it.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.