Amazon Echo

11 minutes ago, RedDragonOwl said:

Does it read erotic fiction?

Yes. If you have that book on Kindle or Audible it will read it for you (Audible will stream the file and be whoever narrates the audiobook, compatible Kindle books will be read by the native Alexa voice). :biggrin:

Got the dot - love it. I find it so much easier for some home automation tasks - like switching off the lights!

And I think we'll find it even more useful as we go along. Also liking the star wars trivia quiz :D Theres defo more to come from it - but I can already see how it will become almost a game changer. Apple should have done this with Siri.

And most of all it's worth it for the answers to the following question and statement:

1) Where do babies come from

2) I am your father

On 6 December 2016 at 00:49, DeeJayOne said:

I have had Siri on my phone (and watch and now laptop) for years and never really used it.

I use Alexa on the Echo multiple times a day without even thinking about it.

That tells you all you need to know, really.

I can see why some would question it, for sure. It is definitely a product that you don't realise you want or need until you have and use it, especially if you have smart home stuff around the house. Spending time away where you don't have it... you really miss it. The proof is in the pudding of having one.

Is that because you didn't buy the Apple products for the sole purpose of using Siri though?  You don't use it because it's just another function.  Whereas the Echo you have chosen it for this specific purpose.  

A bit like saying you love your video camera but don't ever use the video function on your DSLR?

Just not bothered...

@Jowl or anyone else.

Got my parents one of these. I don't know anything about them if I'm honest. And I'll also be honest I haven't read the rest of this thread.

But.

What the fuuck do they do?

Basically, music wise. Is it easy to link up Spotify? What other things can they use? And is there anything I can set on it that kills them so I can get my inheritance quicker?

Its like Siri or Google Assistant for the home.

If you have smart home devices like Philips Hue lights or Nest thermostats and the like it is a no-brainer. 'Alexa, turn on the living room lights', 'Alexa, set the thermostat to 20 degrees', etc.

Set up news sources and say 'Alexa, play my news briefing' and it'll read you the news.

If you have some Kindle books or Audible audiobooks then, 'Alexa, read my book [or book title]' will have her narrate the book to you (or play the audible file).

For shopping, 'Alexa, buy [item]' to add something to your Amazon cart (you can set up a password that you say to prevent accidental purchases), track Amazon deliveries by saying 'Alexa, where's my stuff?' You can also set up shopping lists ('Alexa, add [item] to shopping list') and reminder/todo lists ('Alexa, set reminder for [reminder name]').

You can set timers and alarms ('Alexa, set timer for thirty minutes', 'Alexa, set alarm for 9 o'clock', etc).

There's loads of other apps that you can enable for recipes, linking other accounts, games, quizzes, etc, etc...

For music, just say 'Alexa, play [artist, song title, album name or radio station'.

If you have Spotify premium, it connects no problem and will use that. It can also source from music you upload to Amazon's cloud (250 songs for free, pay for more), Amazon Prime music and Amazon Music subscription service as well as the likes of TuneIn for radio, podcasts, etc.

What Deejay said.

We also checked the boys homework the other day :D (Alexa, what is 19 + 32).

I find it controls my hue lights brilliant - and is very responsive. I can ask from the top of the stairs and it will hear me. Although I plan to get another echo / dot

Thanks James and Jamie.

Going to set it up for them tomorrow. They are quite technophobes but since my mum semi retired with a big lump sum they have been buying all sorts. So thought I would add this to their collection. 

I don't think they will get the use out of it they could if I'm honest.

Any pranks I can set up on it to surprise them?

Anyone with an Echo want to do some Beta Testing of a skill or two?

I just need the email address connected with your Echo (PM it me, don't post it publicly!). Once ready An invitation email will be sent from Amazon to invite you to test.

You just need to have an Echo, Echo Dot or Echo Show.

19 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

Anyone with an Echo want to do some Beta Testing of a skill or two?

I just need the email address connected with your Echo (PM it me, don't post it publicly!). Once ready An invitation email will be sent from Amazon to invite you to test.

You just need to have an Echo, Echo Dot or Echo Show.

What kind of skill is it?

Just not bothered...

There’s a couple I’m messing with just to learn.

Flash briefing skills, trivia quizzes and a few others (some Wednesday related!).

5 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

There’s a couple I’m messing with just to learn.

Flash briefing skills, trivia quizzes and a few others (some Wednesday related!).

You want my email via PM?

Just not bothered...

Give these a go, folks!

http://amzn.to/2wDy1fk

http://amzn.to/2gATAWD

q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B075C86FRT&Format=ir?t=socialsheffield-21&l=li3&o=2&a=B075

So, you've got one of those fancy Amazon echo things, eh? Been listening to those boring news updates on your flash updates all this time?

Well, to alleviate the boredom of listening to Trump's latest faux pas on one of those rubbish news thingamajigs you can now enable the OWLSTALK skill and have the latest matchday section threads read to you in Alexa's soothing voice whilst you are eating your cornflakes!

Yes, you're never far away from actually hearing the latest discussion about the Cake Ball, what Fernando Forestieri is doing now, the latest "something something Carlos Out something something" thread or maybe even some football information.

Simply enable the OWLSTALK skill via your Alexa app (or via the link) and ask for your flash briefing. 

What a time to be alive.

q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B075CNM3Y6&Format=ir?t=socialsheffield-21&l=li1&o=2&a=B075

PLUS - New Sheffield Wednesday Quiz skill!

Whilst you're at it, give the Sheffield Wednesday Quiz a spin on Alexa too. Think you know your stuff about The Wednesday from over the years? Can you name the Player of the Year in 1982? Who were shirt sponsors in 1987? All that and more (over 100 questions with more to be added too) in the best and only Sheffield Wednesday Quiz skill available on Amazon Alexa!

Just enable the Sheffield Wednesday Quiz skill in your Alexa app (or via the link) and say "Alexa, open Sheffield Wednesday Quiz".

PS - don't forget to rate (5 stars, obviously) and review!

Edited by DeeJayOne